HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4081  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 3:31 PM
TimeSaltlake's Avatar
TimeSaltlake TimeSaltlake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Isn't that kinda what we expected, though?

I don't mind it. But it'll be entirely in the finished look and not the renderings.



I'm guessing it'll come in at around 384 feet based on the renderings?

And start this one too
     
     
  #4082  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 3:34 PM
TimeSaltlake's Avatar
TimeSaltlake TimeSaltlake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 154
Those two rowers are going to really help make a handsome skyline
     
     
  #4083  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:06 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Don't forget the Cascade! If those three towers are built this decade, it will be quite a transformation. 1st South will be quite a stretch, creating the canyon feel a lot like Main street. I'd love it.
Throw in the Convention Center hotel, and the skyline is dramatically more dynamic.

Sigh. Now I'm anxious...
     
     
  #4084  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:20 PM
TimeSaltlake's Avatar
TimeSaltlake TimeSaltlake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post



Photos originally posted by KevinFromTexas

Now imagine it sitting nicely with the tower on the corner of 200 S and 200 W, the entrance on 200 S and a new mid-block street (Japan Town Place) at approx 260 W connecting to from 200 S to 100 S.

The parking entrance on what would be 200 W, according to the second picture, may have to move to the mid-block street, to allow for trailer parking and shut down during larger shows.

Maybe to pay homage to Japan Town, the exterior elements could have a Japanese design to them.
I agree. 4TOWERS would be AWESOME
     
     
  #4085  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:31 PM
TimeSaltlake's Avatar
TimeSaltlake TimeSaltlake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 154
[QUOTE=H4vok;6143182]Boyer Project:



Even this will help
     
     
  #4086  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:32 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Fox 13 did a short story on the Granary Row project using shipping containers as stores; they open on June 15th.

http://fox13now.com/2013/06/02/uniquely-utah-shipping-containers-converted-to-stores/
     
     
  #4087  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:45 PM
RosePark's Avatar
RosePark RosePark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Fox 13 did a short story on the Granary Row project using shipping containers as stores]
I saw these shipping containers on the street and I wondered what they were for.
     
     
  #4088  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:38 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Not a big fan of shipping containers, there cheap and ugly. Kind of looks 3rd world ish to me. But I guess it works since this is just a temp. set up.
     
     
  #4089  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:59 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,640
I think it's a fantastic and unique idea...really excited to see the final product and can't wait to go check it out later this month.
     
     
  #4090  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:20 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
I love the idea; I especially think it's a good fit A) for that industrial neighborhood and B) for small business owners looking to get a start. For $300 a month to rent, it's tempting to open up a shop myself. I don't know what I'd sell...but it's tempting.
     
     
  #4091  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:28 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
. Anyways, this is all my professional opinion. And, in general, most architects can usually agree on what is bad architecture, and what is better architecture.
Well then, I guess all of us that like the Capital theater addition must simply be wrong. But guess what, architects in the Brutalist era, also thought that other Brutalist era architecture was good architecture.

As I've mentioned I don't think the Capital Theater addition is in anyway trying to take away from the beauty of Capital Theater, it's not attempting become the focal point, I think it actually will improve the site lines and will compliment it nicely. It's a modern design, but the design elements pay homage to those in the existing building, the lines flow from one building to the next, while not trying in anyway to make it look like part of the original theater. If executed as the renderings show, I think it will end up being an excellent addition to Capital Theater, and an excellent addition to the variety of architecture downtown.
     
     
  #4092  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:57 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,640
I like the addition - but I can understand how some think it overwhelms the original theater. When I look at the rendering, my eyes automatically fixate on the addition, though, who knows, that could be solely because it's something new.
     
     
  #4093  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:05 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Well then, I guess all of us that like the Capital theater addition must simply be wrong. But guess what, architects in the Brutalist era, also thought that other Brutalist era architecture was good architecture.

As I've mentioned I don't think the Capital Theater addition is in anyway trying to take away from the beauty of Capital Theater, it's not attempting become the focal point, I think it actually will improve the site lines and will compliment it nicely. It's a modern design, but the design elements pay homage to those in the existing building, the lines flow from one building to the next, while not trying in anyway to make it look like part of the original theater. If executed as the renderings show, I think it will end up being an excellent addition to Capital Theater, and an excellent addition to the variety of architecture downtown.
You are right. Just because I am an architect does not mean that I am the authority on what looks good. However, it should at least mean that I have demonstrated that I have an ability to design a building that looks good to at least to the client and hopefully, the users and the general public. An architect should also be more fully exposed to many, many architectural examples to enable a more informed decision of building design aesthetics. As a caveat, I did mention previously that a Design Review Board typically just doesn't have architects. It also has planners, real estate professionals, community representatives, etc. This allows for a broader consensus than just us architects.

I do want to say that design is not completely subjective. There is a certain rigor that separates good design from not so good design. In design school, we have respectable architects from the community make judgements on how well or how terrible our student designs are. They have demonstrated that their is generally a rigor that must go through to achieve good design. Brian Junge's design lacks a certain rigor, IMO. He's a flashy graphic artist, just like his design of the addition. It's too flashy, and blaringly attempts to outshine the more beautiful existing building. He needs someone with a more refined and mature design sensibility to tone it down a bit, and get rid of those slashes and Vegas like lighting and coloring, and quirky wrap arounds, etc. He helped shape the massing and design of the Rio Tinto Center in Daybreak, but had an excellent designer/project manager, Marianne Wander of FFKR Architects, to refine the massing, colors, textures, and materials to really make it look great.
     
     
  #4094  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 10:30 PM
brankrom's Avatar
brankrom brankrom is offline
Transit Advocate
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Liberty Wells-- SLC
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Great shot H4vok, I like the angle. In the beginning I liked this project for it's unique contributions to the Downtown Portfolio. I still like it for those same reasons.


Pic By H4vok
Reminds me of the BORG cube...
     
     
  #4095  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 10:43 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Reminds me of the BORG cube...
That's interesting that you compared it to that. We've been calling it that for years and it seems that even new people think that.
     
     
  #4096  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 11:32 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
The shipping containers have been a topic of much discussion in my office. People I have spoken with either love or hate them. Nobody seems ambivalent about them.

I appreciate a new, unique and sustainable idea and I have seen permanent strucutures made from shipping containers with finishing materials on the outside that look great but just thrown out in the street the way they are makes it look like a market in a less developed country. I have been in markets in eastern Europe and Mexico that look just like that.

I drove by this weekend and I really, really do not like it. Further, I don't understand why they did it in the middle of the street when there are so many vacant or underutilized pieces of property in that neighborhood. Just my opinion.
     
     
  #4097  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 11:44 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
The bike share downtown has proven to be a massive success. I've used them myself a few times and they're awesome. I hope that this encourages them to expand to the University, 9th and 9th and Sugarhouse, and extend the initial time to an hour.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56405051-78/lake-salt-greenbike-minutes.html.csp
     
     
  #4098  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 12:26 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
The bike share downtown has proven to be a massive success. I've used them myself a few times and they're awesome. I hope that this encourages them to expand to the University, 9th and 9th and Sugarhouse, and extend the initial time to an hour.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56405051-78/lake-salt-greenbike-minutes.html.csp
I especially like this: "Already, plans are being made for expanding the system. 'Ben has mapped out 30 potential stations downtown," Mathis said. "And we’ve identified $400,000 in additional funding.'"

I would love to see some stops at Trolley Square too. I'm glad to see how successful the program is.
     
     
  #4099  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 12:34 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
I love homes, offices, shops, basically anything made out of shipping containers.

But I especially hate when they cover up the shipping container with another exterior material. What's the point of using shipping containers if you're just going to cover them up.

Maybe they couldn't get any landowners to lend/rent/lease them property for 5 months or they're making a statement about how that street is too darn wide.

I totally dig it.

Some of my favorite shipping container creations:


Source: Dwell


Source: Dwell


Source: tstf.co


Source: jetsongreen.com


Source: Starbucks


Source: openbuildings.com


Source: Container City



Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
The shipping containers have been a topic of much discussion in my office. People I have spoken with either love or hate them. Nobody seems ambivalent about them.

I appreciate a new, unique and sustainable idea and I have seen permanent strucutures made from shipping containers with finishing materials on the outside that look great but just thrown out in the street the way they are makes it look like a market in a less developed country. I have been in markets in eastern Europe and Mexico that look just like that.

I drove by this weekend and I really, really do not like it. Further, I don't understand why they did it in the middle of the street when there are so many vacant or underutilized pieces of property in that neighborhood. Just my opinion.
     
     
  #4100  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 12:58 AM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
The shipping containers have been a topic of much discussion in my office. People I have spoken with either love or hate them. Nobody seems ambivalent about them.

I appreciate a new, unique and sustainable idea and I have seen permanent strucutures made from shipping containers with finishing materials on the outside that look great but just thrown out in the street the way they are makes it look like a market in a less developed country. I have been in markets in eastern Europe and Mexico that look just like that.

I drove by this weekend and I really, really do not like it. Further, I don't understand why they did it in the middle of the street when there are so many vacant or underutilized pieces of property in that neighborhood. Just my opinion.
I'm among those who like the shipping containers in the Granary. I attended the CNU closing event there and it was quiet lively.

But I think it's worth keeping in mind that, according to a CNU session Saturday, that project was only about 20% complete this last weekend. It should be more finished by the June 15 public opening.

Also, I think putting it in the middle of the street was a really good idea; most of SLC's streets are oppressively wide and the Granary has the feel of a massive parking lot with a smattering of warehouses. I think putting them in the middle of the streets effectively breaks up the streets and makes them genuinely multi modal. When I was there, pedestrians, bikes, and cars were all peacefully sharing the street. That could never happen on a street like, say, 400 South.

It also reminds of a video (link below) feature Andres Duany (who was also at the Granary Saturday). In the video, he talks about how temporary buildings in Seaside served as a kind of proving ground for businesses that then graduated up to permanent buildings. So, it was cheap business incubator. I think eventually that's what they hope to have happen in the Granary. Better, nicer buildings would have cost more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9F4PDPUS24#t=2m52s
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.