Praise for Investors Group Field
One Heart Celebration gets first look inside
Jim Bender Winnipeg Sun May 26, 2013
It still needs some finishing touches but the new football facility at the University of Manitoba opened to rave reviews Sunday.
Investors Group Field was christened by the One Heart Celebration where about 85 churches participated in a non-denominational service.
"It's a beautiful stadium and it's a wonderful thing that it's the body of Christ that's coming to dedicate the stadium to God," said Folusho Baiyet, one of about 15,000 who attended.
"We love to be the first people to take a look at it and see how everything's going, see how it's all set up and can't wait to get in there and watch some football," said William McGimpsey, who brought his family to worship.
The opening left little doubt that the stadium will be ready for the club's first pre-season game on June 12th.
"It's pretty impressive," said Sue Murdock. "It's so nice and open, it's great. Big screens, lots of seating."
There are screens at both ends of the 33,500-seat stadium.
"I really like these open concourses where you don't even have to sit down to get a good look at the game," said Dave Dickie. "It sure beats the old stadium, that's for sure.
"I like the way the field is set down below the seats. It doesn't look like there's going to be bad seat in the house, so that's a good thing."
Micca Correia, who attended some games at Canad Inns Stadium, concurred.
"This one's nicer and looks a lot bigger," she said. "I like those little wavy things at the top."
Traffic and parking, however, remain a concern for some.
"I'm not crazy about the location," said long-time season ticket holder Ray Wiebe. "I liked it where it was. It had better access all around.
"There's only two roads into this place here and the old stadium, there's a dozen roads around there."
Wiebe plans to bus to the games.
"It's great to see that we have so many people coming out, but more importantly, it's great to finally open Investors Group Field," Bombers president/CEO Garth Buchko said of the test event. "I don't anticipate a lot but whatever they are, we will make changes based on what we find from today."
Bombers were pleased with the results.
"The reviews I'm hearing as the people are leaving this place, they love facilities," said Bombers vice-president/COO Jim Bell. "I can't wait now to start the football games."