HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2541  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 12:08 AM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

Let me start you out with what I already posted.

Halifax is better because:
It has a larger local population
It has a larger corporate presence
It has a higher profile university football history

Anything else? More specific?


I would think that with Halifax having a significantly larger local population, significantly larger corporate presence coupled with the higher profile university football history over Moncton, I would say this alone could make a case for Halifax having a CFL team over Moncton, wouldn't you?
     
     
  #2542  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 12:18 AM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
This Moncton vs. Halifax is a non-debate. Moncton has 140k people in its metro whereas Halifax has over 400k. Unless Moncton is expected to have fans that are at least as crazy as Sask (draws from two different metros well over 200k) then they are going to have a hard time filling seats. With a 30k seat stadium, 1 in every 5 people (including babies and seniors) would have to be attending every football game, which is not very likely. I know they had great crowds for a few concerts in recent years, but those were huge international bands who drew folks from 100's of km away and further; many even drove in from Halifax. A regular season CFL game against the Argos is not going to have that kind of drawing power. Halifax is less of a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 just based on population but the lack of real ownership interest or pre-franchise fan support suggests both would be a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Good post. I agree.

At first, I thought Moncton could easily support a CFL team as long as they could get the necessary expansion to a 25,000 seat facility with 30 or corporate suites and 500-1000 club seats. However, after giving it some consideration I think the city would be a longshot. I will never say never, but the likelihood of a city of 100,000 supporting a CFL team longterm, and breaking even at that, is extremely small.

It seems one of the arguments that is continually brought up in favor of Moncton over Hamilton is the larger number of people within a two and half to three hour drive - a little over a million or so I told. Let me tell you, that number should be of little relevance (not saying no relevance but little) for either city when it comes to their capabilities of supporting a team.

Not too long ago, on RiderFans, I read about the number of season ticketholders (or total ticketholders) that were from outside Regina, and that number was suprisingly small. 80% or so of the ticketbuyers were from Regina, while only 15% or so were from Saskatoon (about a two and half hr. drive) and 5% from the rest of the province( and possibly out-of-province). So logic dictates that if the vast majority of the ticket-buying public in football-mad Saskatchewan comes from the city in which the football team is located, then it's safe to assume that the majority of the season ticketholders (and suite holders) for the Moncton Whatevers would have to be from Moncton.

I'm sorry, but I can't see 80% of 18 - 20,000 season ticketholders coming from a city that's 2/5ths the size of Regina, and has a fraction of its wealth and corporate support..plus no history of supporting a professional team outside of the AHL.

When you think about it, Halifax would be risky as well - less so with nearly 4 times the population and a much stronger corporate base, but risky nonetheless. If I was a prospective owner of a CFL team in the maritimes, I would make it conditional upon getting deposits for multi-year commitments on all my suites and AT LEAST 15,000 season tickets.

Last edited by blueandgoldguy; May 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: grammar
     
     
  #2543  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 12:37 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
It seems one of the arguments that is continually brought up in favor of Moncton over Hamilton is the larger number of people within a two and half to three hour drive - a little over a million or so I told. Let me tell you, that number should be of little relevance (not saying no relevance but little) for either city when it comes to their capabilities of supporting a team.

Not too long ago, on RiderFans, I read about the number of season ticketholders (or total ticketholders) that were from outside Regina, and that number was suprisingly small. 80% or so of the ticketbuyers were from Regina, while only 15% or so were from Saskatoon (about a two and half hr. drive) and 5% from the rest of the province( and possibly out-of-province). So logic dictates that if the vast majority of the ticket-buying public in football-mad Saskatchewan comes from the city in which the football team is located, then it's safe to assume that the majority of the season ticketholders (and suite holders) for the Moncton Whatevers would have to be from Moncton.

I'm sorry, but I can't see 80% of 18 - 20,000 season ticketholders coming from a city that's 2/5ths the size of Regina, and has a fraction of its wealth and corporate support..plus no history of supporting a professional team outside of the AHL.

When you think about it, Halifax would be risky as well - less so with nearly 4 times the population and a much stronger corporate base, but risky nonetheless. If I was a prospective owner of a CFL team in the maritimes, I would make it conditional upon getting deposits for multi-year commitments on all my suites and AT LEAST 15,000 season tickets.
You make some good points re the season tickets which IIRC I read also but it is nothing for people from SJ or Fred or Northern NB/NS or PEI to come to Moncton. This isn't like some in Sask who drive four/five hours, most of the out of town Moncton commutes might be an hour and a half to less than two hours. I just did a search to find the travelling time between Regina and Saskatoon. Two hours and 36 minutes or roughly the same time between Moncton and Halifax.

As for the size of the metro areas Regina is 210.5k and Moncton is 138.6k

Even if Halifax was awarded the franchise it would never be marketed as a Halifax team, it would be a Maritime team. It's the only way either location can work. The question is are NBer's more likely to go to Halifax than Haligonians to Moncton. At one time that was an easy answer, now not so much. The NBers (SJ/Fred/PEI) are looking at a nearly four hour drive to Halifax, Halifax to Moncton is (as said earlier) two and a half.

Last edited by elly63; May 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
     
     
  #2544  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 1:19 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,181
Regina must really love their football team. I was under the impression that a good portion of the ticket buyers were from outside Regina - like 50%.

Makes you wonder about Victoria with 350 000 people and another 150 000 people along the Victoria/Nanaimo corridor (Nanaimo 100 000 people). The Okanagan has a population of 350 000 people and would probably support the team in more of a Regina way.

The league would seem so much more legit if it had at least 12 teams.
     
     
  #2545  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 1:38 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Well I'm pretty sure I saw a statistic not too long ago that 70% of all CFL merchandise sold is for the Sask Roughriders! Pretty cool. Plus my ex lived in Regina when he was going to the RCMP academy/depot and said whenever there was a game in Regina, the whole city basically shuts down, and the whole city supports the team whole-heartedly. It is basically the Canadian football city.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #2546  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 2:59 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
My cell phone pics of the inaugural event for IGF field today. Will add more as they are uploaded.









__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies

Last edited by chrisallard5454; May 27, 2013 at 3:48 AM.
     
     
  #2547  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:07 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Sorry About the Pano Qualities. They were cell phone pics from my girlfriend. The guy in the third picture wearing the yellow shirt making the ridiculous face was me. I never make a straight face when my picture is taken. This stadium is amazing! Though, it is not entirely finished!!!















__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #2548  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:11 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Great pictures from Winnipeg. Looks like a stadium from a country where they take their domestic national football league (regardless of code) seriously.

Which means it is not typical of Canada.
     
     
  #2549  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:13 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
My cell phone pics of the inaugural event for IGF field today. Will add more as they are uploaded.

This photo is friggin awesome!


Edit: oh... I just read... it was for a church thing? What was it, a big hate-fest?
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #2550  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:18 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Great pictures from Winnipeg. Looks like a stadium from a country where they take their domestic national football league (regardless of code) seriously.

Which means it is not typical of Canada.
C'mon that's not fair. Awesome pics BTW. Anyone else not like the advertising on the field. It helps pay the bills but it looks cheesy. I never liked that about Percy Molson in Montreal, it just looks wrong in that college environment.
     
     
  #2551  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:21 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
This photo is friggin awesome! Edit: oh... I just read... it was for a church thing? What was it, a big hate-fest?
For a cell phone it's a fantastic picture and good framing. Didn't need the religion hate comment
     
     
  #2552  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:21 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
This photo is friggin awesome!


Edit: oh... I just read... it was for a church thing? What was it, a big hate-fest?
Yup!!! Being a Christian myself, I can attest that it was a great time down talking others whilst patting ourselves on the back for how awesome we are. All joking aside though, no one could have asked for a smoother inaugeral event. No rain (as was forecasted) no hitches, and Milt Stegall himself did a nice little sermon, and threw some free footballs that he himself signed! I caught one!
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #2553  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:24 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
milt stegall himself did a nice little sermon,
imwt
     
     
  #2554  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:27 AM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Edit: oh... I just read... it was for a church thing? What was it, a big hate-fest?
As long as it's not an anti-gay fest, right?


Excellent IGF photos! Lookin gooood!!!!!
     
     
  #2555  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:31 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Oops I apologize guys. It turns out my girlfriend didn't take that really good one with the cell phone pic. Before posting the other ones, she had hot linked that one onto her Facebook from the Newspaper site. Sorry. That explains the quality, and size difference. My bad!!!! (Just went to the Winnipeg Free Press and saw the identical photo).
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #2556  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:33 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Good, I'll steal it from them
     
     
  #2557  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:38 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
As long as it's not an anti-gay fest, right?


Excellent IGF photos! Lookin gooood!!!!!
Not to side step the convo, because the stadium is beautiful. But I do want to just state that of all the church's that I have been to (I have been a Christian for about 4 years now) I have never heard the topic of gays come up once. I myself have a best friend who is gay. I love him to death, and he is like a brother to me. I think the prejudice behind what we see as Christians should be thrown out. I was once prejudice against religious people, before I realized that no group can be judged as a whole, because each individual is different, and everyone has a mix of good and bad traits and beliefs. Religious beliefs alone do not define how a person sees or treats others. If so you wouldn't have the misrepresentation that Christians are supposed to hate on people who are Gay, at least not from ones who actually read the bible. I will not talk about this anymore, because bringing up such a hot topic on a non related forum is really something I don't like doing. If someone wants to discuss further, feel free to P.M. me.

Just my two cents.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #2558  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:41 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Amen, now back to our regularly scheduled thread

Wonder if Saskatchewan has contacted Mike Clynes considering the great job he did as proj manager for IGF

Builder happy to finish stadium; excited to call Winnipeg home
Noah Erenberg Community News Commons January 8, 2013

CNC: How about the least enjoyable aspect of the project?

MC: Reading about my project in the press and knowing what’s written about it is not correct.

CNC: Such as …?

MC: There was actually a lot of aspects but some of the delays, some of the delays as a result of weather, I don’t think the proper things were said there, and nobody ever printed or said it’s the fastest stadium of this size that’s ever been built. We were released December 17, 2010 going into the holidays; I ordered the steel for our foundation piles and had it delivered January 5, 2011; we drove our first foundation pile January 6, 2011; and here we are 24 months later with a world class monument of a stadium that fast. I know that it set records and everybody else just thinks it’s late.
     
     
  #2559  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:49 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
Re-Post

The one from up above on the end zone over looking the stage, which is on the far side of the field is from the Winnipeg Free Press.











Sorry About the Pano Qualities. They were cell phone pics from my girlfriend. The guy in the third picture wearing the yellow shirt making the ridiculous face was me. I never make a straight face when my picture is taken. This stadium is amazing! Though, it is not entirely finished!!!















__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #2560  
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 4:13 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
haha, dare I ask, what were all the super-heroes doing there?
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.