Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman
I would use AC to LHR to support YEG but with only 4-7 flights a week, it can fill up pretty fast and the prices can be quite high. If that's not an option, I would use ORD or EWR to support YEG's transborder numbers, flying through YYC or YYZ doesn't help us in any way.
Off the top of my head, Westjet flies nonstop to Los Angeles, Vegas, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Orlando, Maui, Cancun, Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta. Some of these routes are huge for YEG, you are telling me AC couldn't have done flights to Cancun or Hawaii? Hawaii is a massive market for YEG and Westjet just started flying there, why didn't AC do this route? Or LAX, LAS, CUN, or any other sun destination.
And by the way, Westjet does compete on a route to the US, PHX is also flown by US Airways. I could see them compete with Horizon on the SEA route when the Q400's are online.
If you look at the service AC provides us, its like they aren't even trying. Why you stand up for them is baffling, you or someone you know must work for them 
|
I honestly think Air Canada changing their hub and spoke model is a pipe dream. I see their main obstacle as union wages and some old school conditions they must follow. Isn't the whole Aveos fiasco a way of getting out of servicing aircraft in Montreal and i think Winnipeg? Think about that for a second, WestJet has none of these issues and concentrates their headquarters, fleet maintenance and training at YYC.
This is a good article about WestJet's cost advantage shrinking but by no means am i saying disapperaing.
http://business.financialpost.com/2012/1...osts-as-cushion-over-air-canada-shrinks/
Another obstacle would be varied aircraft which complicates training, maintenance and pilot seniority pay. Saying that, i think it is very difficult to run an international airline with a couple of types of aircraft. I dunno, maybe AC should stick to a couple of type of aircraft but which ones. As soon as you have one type of Boeing, you can pretty much fly any Boeing. Same with Airbus, Embraer, Bombardier etc. I really don't understand why they keep the six Airbus 330's around. Obviously they've done the math and it fits nicely between a 767 and 777 but to keep just six of those planes around baffles me. This is a tough comparison to make until WS buys/leases long-range aircraft. It is easy to wet-lease a crappy 757 with no credible IFE and legroom for flights to Hawaii. If someone complains, well than its not really their aircraft. Try putting that same 757 to LHR and we will see how many people bite assuming the prices are the same.
I think the only way AC will change is if it disappears and a new airline is formed without any of the baggage that AC has. Hilman, I don't know when i have ever stood up for AC, i don't work for them nor do i know anybody that does. I think purchasing their stock is pure insanity.
What i constantly say over and over is that WestJet is slowly getting closer and closer to what AC is. Do they make a profit? Sure. Is it better to buy WS stock rather than AC? Of course. Are their prices or service any better than AC's, not really. Case in point i had mentioned flying to Orlando recently. I tried to make the one non-stop weekly flight on WestJet work but the price was around 33%. Roughly $450 roundtrip on any other airline with one connection as opposed to $650 roundtrip on WestJet and i did try to book this early. You also must admit that their IFE switch to tablets isn't going to well.
WS is getting more and more to be a hub and spoke airline with hubs in YYC and YYZ. WS didn't initiate YEG-SEA or YEG-ORD or YEG-IAH but they did initiate YYZ-LGA and YYC-DFW to connect to AA. There is nothing wrong with their plan financially but the route network is starting to resemble AC with feeder routes to hubs.
When people talked about the YEG-YYC run they say WS is better since they fly the 737 rather than the props and it is more comfortable, roomy etc. As soon as WS orders the Q400, they place it on YEG-YYC. Again, this is now a level playing field with AC.
It is interesting you mention the LHR flight and the cost structure. Every single airline does the same thing. I tried to book Hawaii flights last year but unless you book early, the 757 non-stop flights become way more expensive than connecting through YVR on WS.
One thing i do hope is that WS goes for the 787 or 350 because flying the 757 overseas is not my idea of fun. I don't know how Canada 3000 got away with it but then again i guess they didn't.