HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4981  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:49 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,329


I think that's a federal law, isn't it? That only bikes with wheels of a certain diameter (it's small enough so that only small children's bikes fit the definition) are allowed on sidewalks?
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4982  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 4:15 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
Roundabouts are great. I used one a few years ago on the UPEI campus. Easy to use, efficient, etc. It wasn't a high-traffic area, so it was hard to really see how efficient they are, but throw one of those in replacement of a traffic light and it would help such traffic problems. Especially considering how out of sync the lights are in St. John's. You could be stopped at a red say on Torbay Road at the intersection of Newfoundland Drive, get the green, drive about 300 feet up the street and hit another red light at Gleneyre Street. It just causes massive traffic back-up when you're continually stuck at a red light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4983  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 4:26 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,329
I agree. I'm a big fan of zero or minimal traffic control signs in residential neighbourhoods.

I've read over the years about a few places who have tried this and it forces motorists to pay attention which basically eliminates accidents. Replace a stop sign with a yield sign, fewer accidents. Remove the signs all together, fewer still.

It sounds counter-intuitive but, when it's the norm, it works.

But watching how St. John's drivers navigate three-way stops, especially busy ones like those around the Avalon Mall... it's embarrassing. I thought Winnipeg drivers were idiots (and they are in some ways. You put on your blinker to merge and they will GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to speed up and ensure you CAN'T. It's truly unbelievable and it's not a sometimes thing... it is EVERY DAMN TIME. It's their driving culture) but the ones here can give them a run for their money. There's no legitimate reason why a three-way stop should back up so badly for ONLY one side.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4984  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 4:43 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
I'd suggest driving through some before you form an opinion on them.

I'm surprised at the widening of sidewalks instead of painting in bicycle lanes. In NB it's against the law for cyclists to use sidewalks. Is there any sort of similar law in place in NFLD?

Regardless, the narrowing of streets is supposed to bring down speeds of vehicles. Building bulbs in the streets creates a slow-down effect in drivers, whether they consciously mean to do it or not.
I'm terrified of roundabouts.

Cyclist are not allowed to use sidewalks, though I have seen some on them before, but I think if they were made wide enough it would be a good idea in many parts of town. We have sidewalks in some areas that people are rarely seen walking on. In the last year the city has built paved bike lanes adjacent to sidewalks on a few busy roads.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4985  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 5:21 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I'm terrified of roundabouts.

Cyclist are not allowed to use sidewalks, though I have seen some on them before, but I think if they were made wide enough it would be a good idea in many parts of town. We have sidewalks in some areas that people are rarely seen walking on. In the last year the city has built paved bike lanes adjacent to sidewalks on a few busy roads.
@Signal
I haven't done any digging on the law but it very well may be a federal law. I was only aware of it being on New Brunswick's books.

Cyclists aren't allowed to use sidewalks but i've never seen the law implemented and I would find it really difficult to imagine a situation where an officer would actually take time out of his day to ticket a cyclist. I can just imagine the backlash.

Paved bike lanes adjacent to sidewalks separate from busy roads would definitely be a step in the right direction. It's very difficult to bike in heavy traffic areas where speeds get above 50km/h
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4986  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 5:23 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,329
I dislike large (3+ lanes) roundabouts but I love the small ones. Once everyone knows what they are doing, you only have to check your left and don't need to stop.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4987  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 6:15 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Mayors discuss the challenges of growing cities

The Telegram, Oct 28, 2012

Quote:
Even cities known as energy hubs have needs, say some of the mayors involved in the World Energy Cities Partnership (WECP).
They say they need better transportation, housing and skilled labour, and the challenge to meet those needs are the same, whether you're talking about St. John's, Calgary, Stavanger or Perth.
Energy city mayors were in St. John's for two days for the non-profit WECP's annual general meeting, where they discussed a range of topics affecting municipalities that are recognized around the world as being international energy capitals.
"We have paid particular attention to the concept of building connections and sharing intelligence because we realize, as energy cities spanning all continents, the more we share our knowledge, the more we share our experiences, the more we share our opportunities and the more we share our challenges, the more successful we will be," St. John's Mayor Dennis O'Keefe said Friday.

He and Stavanger, Norway, Deputy Mayor Bjorg Tysdal Moe and Perth, Australia, Mayor Lisa Scaffidi discussed what they have in common as well as the obstacles they face as the leaders of energy cities.

"We are all growing. The cities are growing and looking into the same challenges," said Tysdal Moe. "We need better transportation, which is in progress, and housing, and we have to have young people coming into the industry - talents. These three main issues we have been talking a lot about and we can do it together and we can learn from each other, and this has been very inspiring. We love to grow, but we have to find the way to do it in a sustainable way."

Scaffidi said mayors have to communicate with residents and other community leaders and explain that industry expansion and growth does not mean a change to lifestyles and family living.

Continued....
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/20...scuss-the-challenges-of-growing-cities/1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4988  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I'm terrified of roundabouts.

Cyclist are not allowed to use sidewalks, though I have seen some on them before, but I think if they were made wide enough it would be a good idea in many parts of town. We have sidewalks in some areas that people are rarely seen walking on. In the last year the city has built paved bike lanes adjacent to sidewalks on a few busy roads.
Smaller roundabouts, sometimes called traffic circles, are low speed, easy and safe when you get used to them. The scary ones are the high volume multi lane ones (like the Armdale Rotary in Halifax). One plus is that they are a LEGAL opportunity to make U-Turns.

It's probably common everywhere, although it's illegal, to see cyclists using sidewalks as long as there is no pedestrian traffic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4989  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,329
The infamous Kenmount Road. The backbone of suburban sprawl in St. John's.

• Video Link
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4990  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,078
The main artery of contempt, frustration and despair.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4991  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:01 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,329
I got lost in the interwebs and ended up, somehow, reading reviews of the Battery Hotel and being very embarrassed.

Anyhow, in one review - and it's just a Battery Hotel review on Hipmunk so it's not reliable at all - but the review (who gave it 1/5 stars) mentioned the owner had applied to tear it down and build something new but was denied.

Does anyone know if this is true? And, if so... 🞵🞵🞵?
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4992  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:16 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
^ you didn't know that the owner, possibly now former owner, applied to replace The Battery?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4993  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:17 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,329
No, I didn't. What happened? Why would it be denied? They're not saying that's a heritage structure, are they?
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4994  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:19 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,329
Oh, wait... unless that hideous proposal couldn't have happened unless the owner applied. Nevermind. Connecting dots.

Well, did he give up out of spite? Surely the new owners (if they exist) can try again?
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4995  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:31 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
I can't remember the whole story now. The council started to approve something, can't remember how everything played out though.

Here's the proposal.
http://www.stjohns.ca/csj/EventDetails?id=101&loc=null&date=23-1-2006
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4996  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:34 AM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Oh how I wish they had torn it down... If they called it a heritage building, I just might explode!

Lets hope they re-apply to tear it down
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4997  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,078
Maybe you are talking about this, the proposal for "The Rock" in 2005 -06.

Here's a quote from the thread at SSC, which predates this thread:

Quote:
St. John's City council bends rules for hotel bid
Last updated Jan 4 2006 08:19 AM NST
CBC News

St. John's city council has approved a plan in principle to allow a new 10-storey hotel complex to replace the Battery Hotel, even though the applicant bypassed city staff and lobbied politicians directly.

U.S. developer Rick Butler is planning to build a $30-million complex – consisting of a hotel and condominiums – on the site of the existing Battery Hotel.

At their meeting Tuesday evening, councillors gave their blessings to a plan that goes against the city's own development guidelines.

Council staff, she said, were not presented with planning information, and councillors were instead individually lobbied.

She said the approval is unfair to developers who play by the normal rules.

Council voted 8-3 to approve the development in principle.

"All we're saying tonight is that we agree to entertain the application … In other words, he's got his 10 storeys."

The city's Battery guidelines are not proclaimed as law.

Developments in the Battery, which lines the eastern edge of St. John's harbour and offers a commanding view of the city, are restricted in terms of height and size.

Wells said the new complex's design will mean a final structure that is no higher than the existing hotel.

The developer's next hurdle is getting permission to develop a bigger portion of the hotel's land.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=269295
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4998  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
I doubt we'll see anything happen to The Battery anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4999  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 1:11 AM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775


Well aren't you just a beacon of optimism
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5000  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 1:36 AM
MrChills's Avatar
MrChills MrChills is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Glovertown, Newfoundland
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I HATE roundabouts, though I've never actually drive around one.
Sorry, but that's a hilarious comment.. Like saying, I hate orange juice, though I've never tasted it before.

Any way, roundabouts can be very efficient, however I predict risky business with them in St. John's, as it seems like half the city has issues as it is with four way stops and traffic lights. I suspect a lot of culprits are in from around the bay to go to the hospital or shoppping, etc are not used to real traffic and are hanging on for dear life as they try to navigate "the big city"
__________________
Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind
http://twitter.com/thefeltham
http://reverbnation.com/overlay
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.