HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4961  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 9:20 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
What is going on with us here? We keep doing this to each other - it's hilarious.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4962  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Haha, I don't know what's going on here!

But that is a good place for a hotel I guess. I will fit in in that area well. I don't know why there was a height limit for Kenmount Road.. That's pretty stupid if you ask me!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4963  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:10 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
So I went for a walk/drive this morning and I accidentally all the pictures. I almost filled up a 16GB card in one outing... so there will be sporadic updates this morning while I get through all of the ones I want to keep, ha!

Don't worry, most won't be posted here, bahaha...

First... we know what's happening with that Queen Street building we were talking about before (I believe because Danny bought it). It's turning blue:


Queen Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

It's still ugly as f*** but I do prefer the blue - and I'm always thrilled to see tiny little improvements that elevate our city's appearance even if only by the tiniest margin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4964  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:17 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
The view of 351 from further west on Water Street that Architype wanted to see:


351 Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr


351 from George Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

And this is how high it will look from Water Street:


351 Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

I now completely agree with everyone saying it should have been a few floors taller. We need to make it official that the west end of downtown is for towers. Existing heritage buildings (Newman's, etc.) will be protected but everything else build on any lot in the designated tower area HAS to be a tower, with a minimum height and no maximum.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4965  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:36 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
I genuinely think the Henry-Bell Condo Complex is going to be transformative for downtown St. John's. I think it's going to have the biggest positive impact on the beauty and quality of life of downtown we've seen in a generation.


Henry-Bell Condo Complex by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr


Henry-Bell Condo Complex by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4966  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 2:09 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339

TD Place by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4967  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:38 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Nice pictures! I have to laugh at Danny's building, The blue and white looks so cheesy, but I love it! It looks much better than the burgundy and expired creme color on it before.

I have to agree with you on the Henry Bell Development. Not only will it drastically improve the ugliest part of our downtown, but it, along with the Star of the Sea and other condo projects, will improve density in the downtown. That is something we desperately need! I would really love to see a highrise condo/apartment building go up in the west end, and a few more condo buildings up on the hill (like the empty lot next to the kirk)

Improving density in the downtown is vital! I would love to see density increase much more than I like to see more suburbs being built out in Paradise. With density comes many benefits! Improved transit, increased pedestrian traffic, less car traffic and the list goes on and on!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4968  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:53 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Exactly. And we need more condos/apartments because the hotels downtown don't count toward our recorded population density.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4969  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 4:12 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4970  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 4:30 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
We make the best videos in Canada! That's awesome, makes me proud to live here!

I love that aerial shot of downtown. Signal, you should really think about getting your own helicopter!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4971  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 4:39 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339


I wwwiiissshhh...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4972  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 5:44 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
thats my favorite video so far! REALLY good!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4973  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
I took a picture with Fortis in it. It felt O.K. - it's been a few days, and it is Sunday, and it's not an "Oh yay, they're back to work!" photo, it just happens to be there.

October 28, 2012


Oceanex Container Ship by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr


Sundara on Blackmarsh Road by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

(Them old folks is some happy to be out in the middle of nowhere, wha?)


Sundara on Blackmarsh Road by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

And a look at the changes on old Topsail Road. You can see examples of the extended curbs, general street-narrowing, and even a roundabout:


Topsail Road by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr


Topsail Road by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr


Topsail Road by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4974  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 1:32 PM
ConundrumNL ConundrumNL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. John's
Posts: 388
A lot of Roundabout talk lately, but didn't realize the city was already putting them in.

Where on old Topsail Rd is this one?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4975  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 1:35 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
It's on old Topsail Road, just a few metres downhill from that peel-away intersection with Cornwall Avenue. And the rest of the pictures are farther downhill than that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4976  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:22 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It's on old Topsail Road, just a few metres downhill from that peel-away intersection with Cornwall Avenue. And the rest of the pictures are farther downhill than that.
This is great, we need more roundabouts in the city. Hopefully this is a sign for more to come.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4977  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:27 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
I HATE roundabouts, though I've never actually drive around one.

I drove down old Topsail Road the other day. The narrowing of the street is odd, seeing it's only in random spots now and then. One thing I think should be down around the city, and this could have been a good spot for it if they wanted a narrower street, is widening sidewalks so that they could be used for walkers and bikers. The painted bicycle lines have been a disaster is my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4978  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:34 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
I agree about the bicycle lines. They're just a reminder to cyclists and pedestrians that they're allowed to use the road but don't make it any more convenient or safe to do so.

EDIT: And, in the absence of a proper bicycle network, serve to encourage motorists to be even more aggressive against cyclists in areas where there are no painted lanes.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4979  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:35 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I HATE roundabouts, though I've never actually drive around one.

I drove down old Topsail Road the other day. The narrowing of the street is odd, seeing it's only in random spots now and then. One thing I think should be down around the city, and this could have been a good spot for it if they wanted a narrower street, is widening sidewalks so that they could be used for walkers and bikers. The painted bicycle lines have been a disaster is my opinion.
Wow, I think my comment may have struck a nerve. To each his own, I guess.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4980  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:45 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I HATE roundabouts, though I've never actually drive around one.
I'd suggest driving through some before you form an opinion on them.

I'm surprised at the widening of sidewalks instead of painting in bicycle lanes. In NB it's against the law for cyclists to use sidewalks. Is there any sort of similar law in place in NFLD?

Regardless, the narrowing of streets is supposed to bring down speeds of vehicles. Building bulbs in the streets creates a slow-down effect in drivers, whether they consciously mean to do it or not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.