HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2641  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:54 PM
dansk's Avatar
dansk dansk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,290
Jasper needs some major reno's and soon. The ski hill is great, the Mountains, Lakes, Rivers are 10x better than Banff, but the city has continued to go down in standards (and the standards have never been that great). When I have guests in town I hate to say it, but if we aren't hiking or fishing we go to Banff.
     
     
  #2642  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:14 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
For those not paying attention, check out the arena thread
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #2643  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:40 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Where could a new ski resort go? It seems obvious there won't be another within Jasper National Park. I doubt the BC government would allow any in Robson park. Valemount could use the tourism, but unless they build a world-class mind-blowing resort, the trek from Edmonton gets even longer. The mountains pretty much end at the eastern park borders.
     
     
  #2644  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:49 PM
sdimedru sdimedru is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 741
Marmot Basin is currently evaluating expanding onto a "backside".... I was reading a report at the main chalet during one of my trips this season.

As far as a new resort... not sure... how about on the BC side?
     
     
  #2645  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:51 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,130
Valemount had a planned Panorama type resort... but it died which is a shame.

Marmot going onto the back is my dream. I love looking over and down there exiting the lifts.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2646  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:56 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^^ true.

^ new spa is awesome expect for NO hot tub. 🞵🞵🞵

Hotel Had good reports except for the pickies. But yes, bit more attention to sone areas.
Was told by the staff a hot tub is comming this year.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #2647  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 6:34 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,844
[QUOTE=The problem is the initiative from Parks Canada, and the local population. Funding and permits are a huge part of it too.

Jasper could use:
- A Street front improvement initiative
- Support from local and federal governments for more tourist attraction dollars for park improvements
- A competitor for the JPL. Love the place, but they have a monopoly on the Jasper 4* hotel scene.
- Main Street Improvements (sidewalks and curbs, planters)
- More marketing dollars for their festivals. The music and arts scene in Jasper is unreal. Needs more attention.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this as well.

With the Feds pushing for more commercial ventures in the parks (the glacier sky walk) you may see that happen. And as much as I love the small town non Aspen feel to Jasper it needs to move forward a bit. As to the distance from Ed to Jasper. It’s weird but the 3.5 hours is less stressful than the Calgary Banff drive. Other than Edson, I quite enjoy the drive.
Someone on another site called the drive boring. There are just enough elevation and terrain changes to make it interesting.

May be its time to bring in the weekend train.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #2648  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:15 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Other than Edson, I quite enjoy the drive.
I think I've said it before, but that is the most depressing part of the drive. Yucky. Especially coming home from a nice getaway in the mountains, it's like a swift slap to the face with an oily rag.

Also, if anything, we should be looking at the Non-national park location of Hinton to get it's act together. It could easily be Edmonton's Canmore. And cut almost an hour out of the drive. 2 - 2.5 hours from Edmonton Metro to Hinton, would be awesome. If there was some incentive Get your act together Hinton

PS while the train is fun, unless they twinned the track, it can either be a 2 hour ride, or a 7+ hour ride. Depending on rail traffic. I was once stuck on that train for close to 8 hours last year
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #2649  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:19 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,130
'PS while the train is fun, unless they twinned the track, it can either be a 2 hour ride, or a 7+ hour ride. Depending on rail traffic. I was once stuck on that train for close to 8 hours last year '

Not 2... minimum is 4.5, typical 5, having gone 3 times the longest was 6. A TGV would be awesome though at 2hours.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2650  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:25 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
'PS while the train is fun, unless they twinned the track, it can either be a 2 hour ride, or a 7+ hour ride. Depending on rail traffic. I was once stuck on that train for close to 8 hours last year '

Not 2... minimum is 4.5, typical 5, having gone 3 times the longest was 6. A TGV would be awesome though at 2hours.
Erm, sorry you're right. I don't know where I thought the fastest was 2
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #2651  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:42 PM
MrOilers MrOilers is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
Also, if anything, we should be looking at the Non-national park location of Hinton to get it's act together. It could easily be Edmonton's Canmore.
I like the idea in principle, but the stink emitting from the pulp mill kind of kills any aspirations of that.
     
     
  #2652  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:47 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
They managed to scrub the stank out of the pulp mill in Kamloops, I see no reason why they couldn't do it in Hinton.

I hate that drive from Edmonton to Jasper.... On my trips to the family shack on Bridge Lake, the worst part is always from home to the west edge of the park. A as soon as I am at Robson PP the trip gets so much better.

Hinton as a destination seems like a good idea. There's some pretty kick-🞵🞵🞵 mtb'ing there. I agree with the others... Jasper's natura; beauty and recreation is unparalelled but the town itself is run down
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #2653  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:49 PM
sdimedru sdimedru is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 741
last bit of Jasper/Marmot talk... I thought it was the backside... according to this the study is for getting a chair to the peak.

Quote:
The mountain goat study is largely related to Marmot Basin’s proposal to put a lift to the peak – an extension of the Knob Chair – in their long term plan. That area is goat habitat.
http://fitzhugh.ca/news/4527-goat-death-has-some-residents-worried
     
     
  #2654  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:50 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,130
The lands west of Hinton to the park as so ripe for development. Again, there was a large plan, it also died.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2655  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 8:05 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,844
I've posted some shots from the weekend in the Alberta BC Photagraphy Thread.

Now back to Edmonton Talk
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #2656  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 8:18 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
I think I've said it before, but that is the most depressing part of the drive. Yucky. Especially coming home from a nice getaway in the mountains, it's like a swift slap to the face with an oily rag.

Also, if anything, we should be looking at the Non-national park location of Hinton to get it's act together. It could easily be Edmonton's Canmore. And cut almost an hour out of the drive. 2 - 2.5 hours from Edmonton Metro to Hinton, would be awesome. If there was some incentive Get your act together Hinton
Aren't you describing what I hear at one time was proposed as Kananaskis North? Did that idea die?
     
     
  #2657  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 8:40 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Aren't you describing what I hear at one time was proposed as Kananaskis North? Did that idea die?
It was a Getty Idea I believe, shot down when Klein got in.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #2658  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:19 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,562
while we are on the topic of mountains... I really wish Marmot, Sunshine, or Louise would open up in the summer to downhill mountain bike riding... Lots of resorts do it in BC, but no where in Alberta... cept COP in Calgary, which is not much different than riding in our river valley... and I don't need a lift for that.


Also - re: ugliness of Edson -- The AB Gov has plans for a southern bypass... but news on that happening is 6 years old and I can't find much more recent... one could hope though... I hate getting to Edson on both ways... just a total trip buzz kill.
     
     
  #2659  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:48 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ COP is a bit of a joke compared to our river valley.... but yes the ski hills should be running lifts in the summer to shuttle bikers to the top (I did not know they were not doing this... seems like a no brainer to me) I do this almost every year at Silver Star... almost feel guilty doing it... it's all the fun and none of the work
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #2660  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:49 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,130
Rabbit Hill did until last year as they found it not viable.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:41 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.