Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko
Interesting maps. I would agree with the 3 levels rail-based transit service, but offer a couple thoughts.
...

|
Thanks for the feedback!
I should have stated above that I see the end-state map as a goal for say 2050.
Re: LRT loop, would definitely be the last developed, and I do agree with your suggestion for the bus loop on Henday.
That may well serve the purpose forever, but if a ring ROW is defined, the development to support LRT could be well on it's way there when it's actually built. Existing retail portions along the corridor could just be seen as TOD placeholders.
Re: Downtown line congestion, agree that having two subways and a streetcar line within four blocks in places can seem like overkill, my reasoning is as follows:
Basically the subways and streetcar line fill different roles. My biggest critique of the current plan is that it appears to want to fill both roles with one train and I fear it will fail on both fronts.
The subway tunnels on 104 av and jasper are there to each handle two crosstown lines of
rapid mass transit. That means the 104 subway may only have stops at 116 st, 107 st and Churchill to keep end to end times on the line down.
Streetcar lines should in part, help keep rapid mass transit lines rapid. They can do so by providing more stops along a complementary corridor, thus providing local mass transit that can focus on building up the street presence in the corridor, and not worry as much about end to end transit times.
As an example, the Jasper line streetcar would negate a 95 st stop on NE LRT.
The streetcar ROW could also have huge added value by providing quick cross-core access to emergency vehicles. There's even 2 firehalls on blocks adjacent 102 av already...