Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind
I don't see why they couldn't. If I ever get around to doing my own transit fantasy diagram I'm pushing expo all the way down hastings, then to BCIT, Metrotown, then back W through SW Vancouver, eventually going up Arbutus, across False Creek, and loop around downtown to interline with Expo at Waterfront Station
|
This I also had in mind but I would rather create this as a brand new line. Extending the Expo would be of no use due to likely lack of through movements depending on direction, along with inflexibility of frequency/line cost due to the frequency having to be the same as the more regionally oriented expo line throughout. This would also look extremely confusing on a map. A new line could use the same Waterfront Station centre-track platform, where most transfers would be get off-get on using the same platform (with Expo Line trains terminating there and trains of the new line going through).
I do have one idea to share when it comes to taking the Expo Line past Waterfront. An ideal extension to me would turn the trains around at Waterfront (via a simple switch in lights and a proceeding out of the station in the direction of entrance), continue on new track up to Stanley Park, proceed through Stanley Park and over the Lions Gate Bridge or other crossing, and then towards a transit exchange at Park Royal where transit connections to the rest of the north shore can be established. The Seabus would remain running as a direct downtown Vancouver -> Lonsdale Quay link and can still have a good (as well as comfortable) ridership level. This would create a single regional Expo Line route from the north shore through Vancouver, Metrotown and New Westminster to Surrey and Langley. It will link many cities and could work very effectively.
I just don't think there would be enough through movements to make an extension of the Expo in the direction of east to be worth it (though I would love for a new line to serve that area). My idea would be much more viable, have much more through potential, and more suitably serve the regional purpose of the expo line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
If we are talking fantasy, then a future East Hastings line would continue around the north side of Burnaby Mountain along Barnet Road and connect with the Evergreen Line in Port Moody. The Hastings Line would be entirely underground (except the Barnet Road section) and East Hastings would become a dense, vibrant urban corridor with a virtually continuous street wall.
|
This will create redundancy with the west coast express. Continuing to Willingdon then turning south services way more (important) local and regional movements, while still being able to serve the same Port Moody to Vancouver movements with one transfers (out of three or four choices you can make: new line, expo line, canada line or vancouver streetcar) or perhaps even none (if you take the west coast express into Vancouver). [assuming the destination is Watefront of course].