HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1881  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 8:27 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Yes, I see the article that SpongeG posted here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4804572&postcount=1753

However, I'm almost sure something else was posted here a couple of days later (perhaps not in this thread) that they decided not to.

It's misleading to say they are going to be going to rich fatcats, anyways, as it will still be 50% rental housing, offered to public employees, even if the decision was *not* reversed....
AKA offered to Vision's unions supporters. I'm still unclear how firefighters, police, teachers etc qualify as the deserving disadvantaged, when they're nicely paid and have gold-plated defined benefit pensions that few lower level folks in the private sector enjoy, but YMMV.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1882  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 8:30 PM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
While they may have nice benefits, very rarely do you think of public employees as the rich guy keeping the 7000 people on the waiting list down~

Though I concede that in retrospect, it doesn't make much sense to purposely target them as the benefactors of nice housing, even though it will allegedly be at market rates.

It is, however, less of a burden on the public if these over expensive units are actually rented out at a market rate (which, may or may not happen... depending on your union conspiracy theory).
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1883  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 8:45 PM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
I didn't even know there was people down there protesting. Good thing I went just before they showed up.

Anywho....contrary to what I said on the previous page I'm going to share my photos as I went in a different condo than what's already been posted. Enjoy!













New street names to be added to the maps:




It was a half-hour wait to get in so I only went in one building:














It was quite busy, as you can see:


This was in one of units that was decorated as a sports-guy-bachelor pad kind of thing. I thought it was a little tacky compared to the other units but everyone was drooling over this table:


Interesting wall as you enter the unit:


Had to get a shot of these guys:






And who can resist a big brown beaver? Not me, so I had to get a shot of this much-photographed critter:
__________________
Latest photo thread: Coney Island, Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1884  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 8:46 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
Heading down there this afternoon, hopefully the place is still open and the public open house wasn't just yesterday. If not, not the end of the world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1885  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 11:41 PM
nova9 nova9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
AKA offered to Vision's unions supporters. I'm still unclear how firefighters, police, teachers etc qualify as the deserving disadvantaged, when they're nicely paid and have gold-plated defined benefit pensions that few lower level folks in the private sector enjoy, but YMMV.
nicely paid? wanna take a look at my pay stub?

edit: however, i don't teach because of the money. if i did, well, i'd tutor instead - less work, fewer responsibilities, and more pay.

anyway, i went down to see the open house today, not as many people as on saturday but yeah, the mini plaza i think will be quite a nice place when all the stores are opened. certainly really cool with the bird statues. also note, there these automated window blind thigns that are external to the building in the building on top of london drugs. they kept furling and unfurling like they were demonstrating it or something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1886  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 11:46 PM
sacrifice333 sacrifice333 is offline
Vancouver User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I'm reading conflicting reports about how many units are left to sell. A city stat says 475 (or thereabouts) unsold, though some people claim upwards of 800.

That doesn't seem all that impossible, and may actually sell rather fast, as it's quite an impressive development.
Definitely seems to be some conflicting numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC
About 475 units at the $1.1-billion waterfront development in False Creek went on the market Saturday. Another 260 were sold during pre-sales in 2007. About 250 rental units will be reserved for civic workers and low-income residents.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbi...c-village-condos-sale.html#ixzz0o8fetTy4
Those numbers add up to 985 units... I was under the impression there were more like 1200 total units in the Athlete's Village... ?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1887  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 12:33 AM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
...Unfortunately the 6/49 today is only $4 million, so Unit 202 it still beyond my reach for now. Unless it rolls over to Wed, then you can get Unit 202 for cash & still have a $ few $ million to redecorate.
You could always buy a $50 ticket for the Hometown Heroes Lottery, which could bag you an 1140 sq.ft unit at 701-1633 Ontario:
http://heroeslottery.com/grand-prize-millennium-water-vancouver/millennium-water.asp
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1888  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 2:35 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
i wonder if the protesters at this were the same ones who protested on commercial drive last night and ended up in a mini riot when the balaclava kids showed up and started fires and broke windows along the drive... the latter not being related to the other protesters - at least they didn't show up at the village
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1889  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:15 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
lol did anybody see this lamp there? Interesting choice of decoration


http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianveggie/4613408620/
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1890  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 5:43 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
^ Ya, those lamps were in the second unit I posted photos of above - odd choice. Everyone checking out the unit when I was in there was commenting on how weird and ugly that lamp is. Can't say I disagree.
__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1891  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 5:45 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
is it the philipe stark lamp? they sell em at inform - quite pricey
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1892  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 7:47 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i wonder if the protesters at this were the same ones who protested on commercial drive last night and ended up in a mini riot when the balaclava kids showed up and started fires and broke windows along the drive... the latter not being related to the other protesters - at least they didn't show up at the village
I think they may have been originally protesting the Grandview Park renovation that's going to happen soon.
Don't ask.
__________________
Latest photo thread: Coney Island, Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1893  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 7:59 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
yes thats what was going on - it was peaceful some people banging drums and than they rowdies showed up a few hours later and made trouble
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1894  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:20 PM
flight_from_kamakura's Avatar
flight_from_kamakura flight_from_kamakura is offline
testify
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: san francisco and montreal
Posts: 1,319
anyone notice how those balaclava clad thugs all have the same body-types as cope?

anyway, thanks for the epic photos posts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1895  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:49 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
Took some pictures while I was down there yesterday though they are all pretty similar to what has already been posted. The OV really is something special I must say. The plaza is fantastic (I love the Sparrows!). However, I am happy that I bought down the street instead of in the OV. I'll be two blocks from all the amenities but paid quite a bit less than a comparable sized unit in and got a view. Some of the prices are insane. I looked at a unit (Avenues No. 2, 502B-118 Athletes Way) that was 1625 sq.ft, while nice it was $2.5M and only had a small 24" oven!? Lots of new condos have these, but in a 1600 sq.ft. 2 bedroom with a huge kitchen I thought that was pretty bizarre. I'll be going back to check out the rest of the units sometime I'm sure, I wonder if anything will strike me as a good buy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1896  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 5:52 PM
metroXpress's Avatar
metroXpress metroXpress is offline
(||||||-||||-||||||)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 2,220
Here are some of my pics from the OPEN HOUSE:

Enjoy!


I had just enough time for two units. One is 970 sq feet on Manitoba ST.
The other unit is 2900 sq feet on 181 Athlete's Way. (This one calls
for a price of 4.75 million!!)




Compare the next two pics, some cool blinds!!



















The roof is gone!



181 Athlete's Way















Bonus, a little petition signing booth on Main St!!



All pics are mine and hosted on flickr
__________________
"Think simple…reduce the whole
of its parts into the simplest terms,
Getting back to first principles"


~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1897  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 6:34 PM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
The units certainly look amazing, and the views are beautiful. The price is enough to make me nauseous, but

I have heard the LEED Platinum certification and all that goes along with it adds about 15% - 20% to the price. So, that would umm, make them... almost reasonably priced, without it!

That helps explain why, among other things, other developments in the are aren't as expensive at all.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1898  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 6:46 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,786
Thanks for all the pics!

Anyone know if the blinds on the balconies are automatically controlled or whether they are individually controlled?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1899  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 7:44 PM
Lexie Lexie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
i saw a lady inside control the blinds
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1900  
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 8:33 PM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Anyone know if the blinds on the balconies are automatically controlled or whether they are individually controlled?
At one point around 12:30pm on Saturday, all the blinds on the building to the east of the plaza (facing west) came down simultaneously - no idea if it's on a timer or what.
__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.