HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1861  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:18 AM
nobase2010 nobase2010 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 179
My video
• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1862  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:22 AM
johnjimbc johnjimbc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 766
We went today as well. Had a really great time, and stayed much longer than we'd planned.

The best unit we saw for the price was one at 1633 Ontario Street priced in the upper $600Ks. Though it was a one bedroom (860 sq ft, I think), it also had a large enclosed balcony off the bedroom that in turn connected to a spacious outdoor balcony (you could access the outdoor balcony from either the enclosed one or the living area).

The unit just had a really nice flow to it and unexpectedly incredible views. The unit faced west but was high enough that you could see the water, downtown and mountains to the north from the balcony and enclosed balcony. In addition you could look down below to the interior courtyard garden with water features and you got nice glimpses of the immediate village area. I actually liked the view better than some of the mega-million ones because you could see a variety of things . . . it was an interesting view in that you could see the village and the downtown in addition to the "marquis things" people pay premiums for (namely water and mountains ).

All the units were pricey, but it was one I walked out of thinking that for the price you'd be getting a really great, functional space with amazing views.

Even though it was 1-Bdrm, 1-Bath, with the enclosed balcony and flex space, it felt larger and more functional. The bedroom was spacious. The bath was a true spa-like suite - 2 vanities, large walk-in shower, nice soaker tub. The enclosed balcony was huge and integrated well with the unit - quite ample for an office / den area. And to top it off the fully covered outdoor balcony was nearly 90 sq ft so could easily be an extended living area during the warmer months. All in all the unit felt more usable - and spacious - than many 2-bdrm units I've seen in the city.

Finishes in all the units exceeded my expectations. High end kitchens, spa-like baths (an overused term that actually fit ), nice fixtures and appliances, high ceilings, smooth drywall ceilings (no popcorn ), nice flooring - high-quality engineered or full hardwood (not sure which), and stylish, comfortable carpeting in the bedrooms. I usually hate carpeting, but liked it there. I particularly liked the full floor to ceiling seemingly frameless glass doors that linked the living spaces to the balconies and enclosed balconies. It really made those spaces feel like they were part of the units. I don't even recall their being a threshold, which is funny considering that was one of the complaints of the paralympics, wasn't it? If there were thresholds, they were awfully seamless.

The outdoor public spaces throughout the village were probably the nicest I've seen in Vancouver . . . on par with the coal harbour garden areas, nicer in some ways.

I was really impressed. If we didn't like our place so much downtown so much, I'd be tempted . . . which I never expected to say.

My sense is they'll be able to sell them simply because it really is a complete neighborhood. It doesn't feel like a place where a buyer will be "waiting" for the area to develop because it has it's own presence already. I think buyers will respond to that. I do think they're pushing the price a bit, but seeing it today went a long way to convincing me they could get what they're asking.

The only real disappointment was one unit in the building at 12 Athletes Way. It just didn't work, yet on paper it looked good. You had you're own door (though the unit is on the 4th floor - an outdoor walk on the courtyard side. Once inside though, everything just seemed choppy. The flex space actually sits right next to a "window" but the window was covered with drywall. At first I thought it was the "designer" element, but I noticed when leaving that all the units of that style had a window like that. Strange. Also, though it had a balcony, it was a triangle shape. The only portion large enough for a table was where the door opened outward from the living room. The bedrooms were tiny, though there were 2 of them. It just felt cramped and awkward, and was quite expensive. I can't even recall what they said now, but I remember thinking there was no way I would pay that much for the space. I want to say it was something like $900K+.
________

Lastly, near the end they did shut down the open house early today. Apparently the protesters got a bit pushier near the end. I heard rumour than a few might have forced their way into one of the show units or something. They were marching about banging drums in the centre courtyard when we left a little after 4 pm.

Sad really, as earlier there had been protesters I thought were doing a good job at making attendees aware of housing issues. They were passing out factual, impressive flyers . . . lots of data, graphs, and a timeline showing the reduction of housing promises at the olympic village from the time the olympics were announced through to the present. They also presented some type of funny skit with scheming developers and real estate folks as pirates. I mean, it was the kind of thing that was entertaining yet making a point, and people were watching and taking photos. It was far better than the wandering around yelling and banging drums later, which mainly just served to disrupt families on outings and people out enjoying the day. I saw a lot of rolling of eyes and irritated folks when the units shut down early . . . irritated at the protesters, not the developer or the city. Might have been counterproductive to their efforts.

At any rate, it's worth a look. Go see it if you get a chance.

Last edited by johnjimbc; May 16, 2010 at 4:23 PM. Reason: corrected enclosed balcony to "flex" space
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1863  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:36 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,118
nice report

do they have dates for when the retail opens?
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1864  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:37 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
^ Thanks for the review of the Ontario Street unit johnjim - I didn't get over to the 4 units in that area, but I've heard from a few people now that they're great and 'reasonably' priced.

I understand that the show units are open for viewing every day (except Fridays) from now on.
__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1865  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:50 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Wow, those units look niiiiiice. Bet they're a pretty penny!

What are the protesters protesting? The egregious use of funds on over expensive social housing units in this particular development, instead of using them wisely elsewhere?

Surely they are reasonable human beings, like that.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1866  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:54 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,118
they want the cheap housing promised them - there are signs all over east hastings about it
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1867  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:55 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Well, didn't they get it ? Albeit it wasn't cheap at all to build.

So then like others, perhaps they are against the government money going to the village, at all?

And logically to protest this you shut down the only mechanism that is in place to make sure it is paid back in full, with interest?
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1868  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:58 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,118
they were promised housing at that site and they are pissed that they didn't get it

i think thats about it
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1869  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:00 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
When was it taken away, I thought last week or so the report came out that they are keeping it...

Despite the logic that it's too expensive at 3x the cost of average social housing, which made them re-consider in the first place.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1870  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:02 AM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
I think Council decided to reduce the number of social housing units by 50%.

Edit: Yup. http://www.vancouverobserver.com/blogs/c...roach-olympic-village-affordable-housing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1871  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:06 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
When was it taken away, I thought last week or so the report came out that they are keeping it...

Despite the logic that it's too expensive at 3x the cost of average social housing, which made them re-consider in the first place.
its not good enough if its not everything

not only that don't dare to take a pic on west hastings unless you wanna get yelled ast for exploiting the homeless
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1872  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:06 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Yes, I see the article that SpongeG posted here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4804572&postcount=1753

However, I'm almost sure something else was posted here a couple of days later (perhaps not in this thread) that they decided not to.

It's misleading to say they are going to be going to rich fatcats, anyways, as it will still be 50% rental housing, offered to public employees, even if the decision was *not* reversed.

With the funds they were asking for, it brings the price of each unit up to around $540,000 for construction alone. That's not social housing
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1873  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:33 AM
squeezied's Avatar
squeezied squeezied is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
The only real disappointment was one unit in the building at 12 Athletes Way. It just didn't work, yet on paper it looked good. You had you're own door (though the unit is on the 4th floor - an outdoor walk on the courtyard side. Once inside though, everything just seemed choppy. The enclosed balcony space actually sits right next to a "window" but the window was covered with drywall. At first I thought it was the "designer" element, but I noticed when leaving that all the units of that style had a window like that. Strange. Also, though it had a balcony, it was a triangle shape. The only portion large enough for a table was where the door opened outward from the living room. The bedrooms were tiny, though there were 2 of them. It just felt cramped and awkward, and was quite expensive. I can't even recall what they said now, but I remember thinking there was no way I would pay that much for the space. I want to say it was something like $900K+.
I went to this unit too. It did feel smaller than it was. It was 987 SF but felt like 600-700 SF. The price was 1.3 Million. I didn't believe it, still don't actually lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1874  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:39 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post


my fav photo of the village so far. nice and dense
http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/2010/vch2010_0013.jpg
where and how do you get this picture? I went to their website and the last pictures are from summer 2009.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1875  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:51 AM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
where and how do you get this picture? I went to their website and the last pictures are from summer 2009.
http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/2010/ is wide open for perusal..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1876  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 5:42 AM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Damn...missed the open house. It looks amazing, thanks for posting the pics. It's definitely a great investment by the city.
Today was the public grand opening and handover of the Olympic Village from VANOC back to Millennium. People who pre-purchased their units can now arrange to move in, and Rennie can start selling the rest of the units. The show homes will likely be open daily (except Fridays) until everything is sold.

It looked to me that the commercial spaces were trying to get open by the summer.

It will be a great investment by the city if they break even or show a profit, but that assumes the local economy bounces back sometime soon. If Greece and other EU problems slow the world's post-recession recovery (and also slows BC's economic recovery), it may take more than 3 years to sell off all the units, and the latter ones may not get their desired sales prices.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1877  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 5:46 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
I'm reading conflicting reports about how many units are left to sell. A city stat says 475 (or thereabouts) unsold, though some people claim upwards of 800.

That doesn't seem all that impossible, and may actually sell rather fast, as it's quite an impressive development.

I'd even consider if it wasn't so far away from the new JapaDog~ Plus I like being on a high floor.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1878  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 6:15 AM
nobase2010 nobase2010 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 179
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1879  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 6:24 AM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I'm reading conflicting reports about how many units are left to sell. A city stat says 475 (or thereabouts) unsold, though some people claim upwards of 800.

That doesn't seem all that impossible, and may actually sell rather fast, as it's quite an impressive development.

I'd even consider if it wasn't so far away from the new JapaDog~ Plus I like being on a high floor.
I think numbers are fluctuating because some units were already sold before the Olympics, 1/3 of the units were built to be used for low-cost housing and subsidised housing after the Olympics, and other units were meant for adult-oriented (mature & seniors) housing. I haven't yet found a definitive number of how many units and of what type were built and already sold before the Olympics.

With the low-cost housing and subsidized housing being over budget, Council wants to sell half of those units to Vancouver-based emergency response personnel (fire/police/paramedics/doctors/nurses &tc) so they are in Vancouver when the BIG ONE hits and are therefore able to get around Vancouver if the major bridges aren't usable, rather than living in Surrey / Poco / Richmond where they can afford to live today. That may add around 150 units to what Rennie has to sell.

There was an article last year that said that CoV were shocked to discover that 2/3 of the City Staff and the emergency response personnel were living outside Vancouver and likely wouldn't be able to get back to Vancouver for several days after The BIG ONE hits - especially people living on the North Shore, or far south of the Fraser River and east of Langley.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1880  
Old Posted May 16, 2010, 1:13 PM
joeyedm joeyedm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 72
this area will be the seen for soooooo many movies.......and sci fi shows......
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.