Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAL
What's a better solution for the present and future US 72 W issues?
Continual widening of US 72 or just building a controlled access highway that tracks 72? Possibly even building the highway all the way out to 65.
|
Adding new road capacity alone would only exacerbate the problem. Better land use planning (limiting the # of new subdivisions that feed cars onto the road), access management (limiting the # of driveways that come off the highway), and public transportation (bus rapid transit to Madison maybe?), would have to be coupled with a widening in order to be worth it. Otherwise, 72 West will be over capacity again in a couple of years, and ALDOT would have to spend another $30+ million to expand the highway yet again.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by tredici
I am well aware that I 65 is a North South route... The reason I think it would take pressure off 72 is because of the amount of traffic that exits Huntsville, going towards northern Limestone County, Southern Middle Tennessee, etc... A I-65E route would likely follow AL 53, which undoubtedly would relieve traffic on 72 that is related to commuters not wanting to use an undersized AL 53, so they just take 72 to Athens and get on I-65 there.
|
Meh... I think I'll wait for 53 to be 4-laned to Tennessee (sometime this decade... maybe?) before talking about a new Interstate that will serve the same purpose for a lot more money.
An area that would benefit greatly from an I-65/565 relief route would be East Morgan/Southwest Madison Counties. Make 36 into a semi-expressway, extend Wall-Triana southward over the Tennessee River to near Valhermoso Springs, and
voila! Instant Southern Bypass (for a fifth of the cost), and a useful truck/commuter route to the Arsenal, Airport/Jetplex, and Madison.