HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5641  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:04 AM
racc racc is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
well than we have to put up with heavier traffic by people who will not get out of their cars for a bus
No. We will just build more rail that will get more people out of their cars instead of wasting money on park and rides.
     
     
  #5642  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:24 AM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
I would take cohesive, dense neighborhoods over park and rides anyday. Just look at Calgary's Ctrain stations on google maps. They all pretty much look like Scott Rd station in Surrey surrounded by vast parking lots and disjointed neighborhoods with underutilized land. Park and rides have their place but I would never want to see our transit system focus solely on them for increased ridership.
     
     
  #5643  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:32 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
No one is asking for our system to revolve around them, but a single Park & Ride near the eastern extension north of the Fraser River is not asking much. Also, they do not need to be sprawling (which i agree is a waste of land) Hence they invented multistory structures.

For example, if Translink was smart, they could build a multilevel parking structure at Scott Road that would take up much lass land than the current ground level parking lot does. Then, the selling off of the remaining land could cover large amounts of the cost to build the multilevel paring structure (if not all of it).

I honestly think that we only need to add 1 more Park and Ridge along our skytrain system, and that is currently Braid station (again, there is not a single par and ride structure along the M-line).

Or, with the Evergreen Line coming along, build a multilevel Park & Ride at Coquitlam, that would serve skytrain, the WCE and possibly, if large enough and located close enough, Coquitlam Centre. Then the excess land around the Coquitlam transit hub that is currently a surface park and ride could be developed, again, off setting the cost and eventually making money.

But we all know some on this forum are 100% dead set against anything to do with vehicles. I find those who are 100% against vehicles or 100% against transit equally wrong. The two can work together and do need to interact at some points.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #5644  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:32 AM
racc racc is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I share your dislike for park and rides, but there is no need to exaggerate the costs. It does not cost $40K for an above ground spot, it doesn't even cost that much for an underground spot. Regardless they are a waste of money from an economic point of view. Ideally they are created where there is a need for parking at different times of the day. The River Rock park and ride is a perfect example, commuters in the day but still useful at night. There are limited options like that though, perhaps the pacific coliseum and the coquitlam casino, but neither are tied into the skytrain.
The construction costs for the River Rock parkade were $33 million in 2006 dollars for 1,200 spaces or $27,500 per space. Add 3% per year for construction cost escalation and that would be around $30,000 per space not including land costs. So, not quite sure that would bring it to $40,000 per stall but it is getting close and still pretty expensive.
http://www.greatcanadiancasinos.com/files/GCGC-PDF/prinvestor/GCD_PRESS_12-18-06.pdf

Underground, in Richmond at least, would be much more expensive due to the high water level, which is why all parking structures are above ground.

Now agreed, if there is another reason to build the parkade, such as a destination casino, it kinda makes sense, but there won't be too many such opportunities.
     
     
  #5645  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:50 AM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
But we all know some on this forum are 100% dead set against anything to do with vehicles. I find those who are 100% against vehicles or 100% against transit equally wrong. The two can work together and do need to interact at some points.
Completely agree with this point.
     
     
  #5646  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:51 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
No. We will just build more rail that will get more people out of their cars instead of wasting money on park and rides.
not set to happen in our lifetimes though
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #5647  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:06 AM
squeezied's Avatar
squeezied squeezied is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,625
Can someone verify the 210,000 figure with a link?
     
     
  #5648  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:12 AM
racc racc is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
Can someone verify the 210,000 figure with a link?
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local..._100215/20100215?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
     
     
  #5649  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:13 AM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
Can someone verify the 210,000 figure with a link?
http://twitter.com/KenHardie/status/9155381195
     
     
  #5650  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:26 AM
Zassk Zassk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Only a few of the stations are 50 meters now (Waterfront, Vancouver City Centre, Yaletown, Olympic Village and YVR I believe, but I could be wrong about 1 or 2 stations, so please feel free to correct me) the rest are all currently 40m
Brighouse is 50m and I think Bridgeport may be as well (it would make sense). So almost half of the stations are already 50m.
     
     
  #5651  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:27 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
global tv reported that all of transit saw 1,000,000 users on sunday alone
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #5652  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:27 AM
Unregistered Unregistered is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Brighouse is 50m and I think Bridgeport may be as well (it would make sense). So almost half of the stations are already 50m.
Bridgeport is 40m.
     
     
  #5653  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:28 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
I think this video is from someone from Seattle he seemed surprised how busy it was

• Video Link
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #5654  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:52 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Great find!

It really shows how amazingly frequent our system is, an amazing feather in its cap.

For such a relatively small system (compared to huge hub station in London or Osaka) it still amazes me how often there is a train arriving at Broadway Station. It must be around every 30 seconds, maybe less during peak times (when considering both platforms)
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #5655  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:01 AM
Pennywise604 Pennywise604 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
what event is happenning tomorrow?
The first time we see our Men's hockey team play. I am not sure if the report was on CKNW or News 1130, but tuesday night is the big test for transit. It will probably be fine, just longer waits at stations.
Are there any big lineups at the Richmond-Brighouse Station during the day? If I catch the C-Line that'd be the station I depart from. I just want to be sure since I decided to drive downtown today... big mistake obviously. It took 15 minutes to drive from the Cambie Bridge to Cambie @ Hastings. I was stranded in the middle of Cambie @ Robson, and at Cambie @ Dunsmuir.
(I know wrong thread) ==> I am very certain that Hastings lights are synchronized right now though. From Hastings @ Main to Hastings @ Victoria, every single light was green... I travelled from Main to Victoria in 3 minutes at 6pm at night, and I was not speeding at all... I actually whatched the lights, since I was turning left onto Victoria, if I had kept going straight I would of got past Nanaimo before they changed. If someone else has noticed this please confirm it lol. Even with the Olympic lanes on Hastings, traffic was flying EB during rush hour.
     
     
  #5656  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:19 AM
NetMapel's Avatar
NetMapel NetMapel is offline
Hello World
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,580
Actually, for a lot of suburban cities such as Richmond (south), Delta, South Surrey, Cloverdale, White Rock... etc, park and ride makes a lot of sense. There are many roads there that just make no sense to have a bus route so those households will definitely have cars. What you want is to incentivize those people to go to more urban areas using transit instead of cars so there is no traffic jam. The best way to do that as far as I can tell is to have a nearby park and ride that have excellent bus route connections. There is a reason why park and rides in those cities are extremely successful because the people are willing to park their cars there to go downtown instead of driving there themselves. This way, they will most likely just do driving within their local areas to do grocery runs and daily life stuff like that. This save a lot of traffic jams in more urban areas like downtown Vancouver, Burnaby and Richmond.

Ultimately, I am hoping that they will be able to connect at least some of those major park and ride areas with a rail so they can then be turn into a rail station, making those park and rides a true transit hub for the people living there.
     
     
  #5657  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 11:41 AM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
I happened to be heading downtown on sunday night. So I get to the oakridge station. And according to the train times board. There was a train coming every 2 mins. Most frequent I've ever seen it.

I have noticed the bus system on certain routes as been a problem. Sunday had major delays for the 20 and 22. I was waiting for the 20 on sunday around 3:40. Next bus didn't come till 30 mins latter and it was full and drove right on by. It was also a short bus.

Walked over to knight to catch the 22. My neighbour was on board and he said the bus was 30 mins behind schedule and it was full.

Not sure exactly where the delays are happening. But I'm wondering if maybe VANOC should have seriously considered expanding there No Stopping zones / Transit only routes to a lot more streets. Especially in the downtown core. Basically ban all street parking downtown and in the DTES for the olympics.
     
     
  #5658  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hot Rod's Avatar
Hot Rod Hot Rod is offline
Big City Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle-Vancouver-Osaka-Chongqing-Chicago-OKC
Posts: 1,187
I think Vancouver should build park n rides in suburban areas. You only need to look at successful metros in America to see that they all have park n rides in the lower density suburbs and transit centers with parking structures in more dense suburbs and urban areas.

Yes, transit and auto do go hand in hand as long as you don't have heavy TOD. Vancouver has some TODs but not much in most of the stations and one shouldn't expect TODs at EVERY stop either.

In fact, Park N Rides could be a HUGE catalyst for SkyTrain - parking now TOD later. No one says a parking lot around a metro stop needs to remain a parking lot forever. .....

One thing I noticed in Washington DC area is they have Kiss N Rides, where people would drop off their husband or wife (hence the Kiss) and the spouce would board the metro. The Kiss N Ride only had a small parking lot, but the emphasis was on dropping off and picking up - and mostly it was HUGELY marketed.

I think this could be an excellent idea for most of the non-downtown/inner city Expo and Canada line stations. Build Kiss N Rides, where people could drop off or be dropped off. Some of the outer Expo and most/all suburban Millennium line stations could have Park N Rides lots or Transit Center garages. As stations turn into TOD's, the lots would go away and be replaced by highrises and maybe more garages.

to me - this is simple. If done right, busses could feed off of metro stops much better than they do now and with a bit more 'local' auto parking, we would have much better metro usage than the 49% we currently see for downtown trips. Again, it's better to have cars in local hoods (especially since most suburbs are built to require a car) than having them all driving into downtown. .... that's the way DC (and Chicago) works, I don't see why it couldn't for vancouver.
     
     
  #5659  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 1:07 PM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
Here are some other numbers according to the buzzer blog.

Seabus had 133,000 people over the weekend
Trip planner handled 48,000 sessions from 82 countries on Friday.
     
     
  #5660  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 1:36 PM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
Christiana Johns is the media person from Chicago who posted a blog about her thoughts on our skytrain.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/the_view...cagos-el-versus-vancouvers-skytrain.html

Some one with the name Vxla had the folllowing Comments

Quote:
You're comparing two completely different systems. You left out one major concern: human beings are available on each moving Chicago 'L' train. Skytrain is automated and there are gaps of 1-2 miles where no one is available for any assistance, between stations.

Try making a valid comparison next time instead of vying for media attention through the Concern of the Day.

Oh yes, honor fare systems are in many places throughout the world. Auditors spot-check fares while onboard vehicles (usually in motion) and violators are fined if they've evaded payment. I'm guessing the reporter here probably has never ridden transit anywhere outside 2-3 cities.
Christiana countered with this



Quote:
You make a good point that not having an attendant on the trains or at the stations is a concern, but the CTA does not have a person on every car either.

I think it's a valid comparison because they are both public transit rails in large cities. I am speaking on my experience of riding both trains for extended periods of time, and I've found that the SkyTrain runs more efficiently in terms of service.

I rode public transit in Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, London, Edinburgh and Paris.

Last edited by cabotp; Feb 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:26 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.