HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7061  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 6:39 PM
CanadianCentaur's Avatar
CanadianCentaur CanadianCentaur is offline
Briareos Hecatonchires
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Big E
Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Job No 88281671-001: To change the use from a General Retail to a Specialty Foods Services ( Second Cup) and to comstruct interior alterations.
10818 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Plan 0722045 Blk 8 Lot 87A
STEPHEN R PILE ARCHITECT INC

DOWNTOWN
So....a Second Cup in in the INTACT building (10830 Jasper Ave) then? I don't have a problem with that, especially when I'd rather take a Second Cup coffee over any of the swill that Tim Horton's serves.
__________________
Edmonton/Amiskwacîwâskahikan Lat. 53° 34'N Elevation 671 m (2201 ft) Pop. 1,010,899 (2021 city) 1,418,118 (2021 metro) - North America's northernmost metro area over one million.
     
     
  #7062  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 7:15 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,127
they are moving on that excavation at the fed... someone grab a pic.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7063  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 7:28 PM
tallisgood's Avatar
tallisgood tallisgood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I wouldn't say a "critical par" per se, but it would be a rather important step in the area's redevelopment. I don't see where else the Shaw can expand from its current building, that hillside is quite full from the looks of it. I'd like to see a separate expansion building be built in the Quarters, but just east of the Arts Lofts between 102 and 101A Ave. It could be linked to the main Shaw buildings via underground pedway. Just my thoughts on the situation.
I like that idea; however, if I recall, that Edmonton 2030 video that circulated on here a month or two ago featured a vision of the Shaw with an addition on the West side to complement the one on the East side. Just a vision, I know, but hell, for now I'd just be happy to see The Valleyview go ahead and hear an announcement for a new arena. Gotta start somewhere...
     
     
  #7064  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 7:33 PM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
^The Arena will likely be on the Baccarat Lands though not the Quarters just to let you know.
     
     
  #7065  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 7:53 PM
tallisgood's Avatar
tallisgood tallisgood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
^The Arena will likely be on the Baccarat Lands though not the Quarters just to let you know.
I keep hearing that, but I hope it's not true.
     
     
  #7066  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:13 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
^ I do. Baccarat Lands are perfect for an arena. Quarters are ripe for density.
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #7067  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:16 PM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
^Completely agree. The vibe of the Quarters will be different than that of an Arena/Entertainment District. Plus there is much more land to work with there, and it could tie into Aurora and EPCOR. There's also room on site for a new Baccarat (casino) as well as hotels, venues, eating/drinking establishments and retail. Some of those are there in the Quarters, but I don't know I just don't think it will fit as well in the Quarters. The Quarters should be more of a "neighbourhood". Although I did like dubs proposal.
     
     
  #7068  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:39 PM
bulliver's Avatar
bulliver bulliver is offline
So very tired...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Penticton
Posts: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
they are moving on that excavation at the fed... someone grab a pic.
Walked right by it yesterday, I didn't think filling dumptrucks was interesting enough for a photo...I'll take one next time

Also noticed the Westminster had a 'for sale' sign. Is it rental or condo? If rental I guess the entire building is up for sale.
__________________
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
     
     
  #7069  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:43 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,127
^condo. Love the building but worry because it is a former Worthington.

FED pic - no worries... a few of us have a tour of the current progress tomo so i am sure many pics to follow.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7070  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:55 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,127
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7071  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:04 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
peregrime point is on that map
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #7072  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:08 PM
bulliver's Avatar
bulliver bulliver is offline
So very tired...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Penticton
Posts: 3,729
^ Worth the million. You can't see the thing if you live in it.
__________________
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
     
     
  #7073  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:10 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
nice 70's decor and kitchen for a $4,000,000 hacienda
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8264908
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #7074  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:12 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
nice 70's decor and kitchen for a $4,000,000 hacienda
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8264908
yup.... you would need another mil to redo it.

although i love this exterior and can envision my ferrari testarossa, lotus V6, and countach parked in the G rage
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7075  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:15 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
^ Worth the million. You can't see the thing if you live in it.
just not alot of prestige tied to the address. How is the owner going to explain where he lives when he goes to the Country Club.. "Perigrine what? is that the place where the exterior finishes are rusting"? Thats like Lee Iaccoca showing up to the Detroit autoshow in a K-Car
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #7076  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:23 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
yup.... you would need another mil to redo it.

although i love this exterior and can envision my ferrari testarossa, lotus V6, and countach parked in the G rage
yes, i know that place, and I do like the outside. Looks like something that should be in beverly hills
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #7077  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:26 PM
etown etown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
in the hands of people with little taste?

I was riding my motorcycle around some of the 'estates' south of Sherwood Park. There were some very distinctive properties however for the most part they weren't particularly special - aside from being 4000+ sq ft.
     
     
  #7078  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:55 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallisgood View Post
Looks like expanding the Shaw will need to be a critical part of the Quarters redevelopment. Quarters NEEDS to get done, the sooner the better. Right now the neighbourhood around 97th St is a disgrace. I would want that cleaned up before we pump more tourists and convention-goers into the area.
Hello new convention space tied with a new arena / entertainment complex....the ingredients continue to add up imo.

..about town tidbit - The bakery on 124 Street is being built right next to TU Gallery. It will be called Duchess Bakery.

A new Marriott coming to midtown...this is at the NW corner across from the old Allendale Bingo hall.
Job No 88187336-001: To construct a Hotel (142 units) Marriott.
6303 - 105 STREET NW
Plan 4976KS Blk 34 Lot 11U
10412 - ALLENDALE ROAD NW
Plan 4976KS Blk 34 Lots 9,12
ALL CANADIAN PROPERTIES INC
ALLENDALE
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"

Last edited by CMD UW; Jul 22, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
     
     
  #7079  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:57 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by etown View Post
in the hands of people with little taste?

I was riding my motorcycle around some of the 'estates' south of Sherwood Park. There were some very distinctive properties however for the most part they weren't particularly special - aside from being 4000+ sq ft.
I agree, some are McMansions....but there are some that are very well executed. It just depends on what type of 'style' you prefer. Personally, I don't like Cape Cod but I'll appreciate it if it is done right.
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #7080  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 11:33 PM
Roquentin Roquentin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 271
^
Will this new Marriott hotel replace that crummy little motel (i.e. the one that's been for sale for a while)? If so, great!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.