HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7041  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:24 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
^ 2/3rds of that wall could have been done so much better, IMO

Anyways, I assume Q has been topped out now?

I'll agree that Rexall should have put a sign outside - perhaps one is to come? But my own personal opinion is a (note: well) well done sign enhances the feel of a buildings ground level, instead of being so .... sterlie. (I'm looking at you Devonian!)
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #7042  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:30 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
"Anyways, I assume Q has been topped out now?"

2 more floors
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7043  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:47 PM
bulliver's Avatar
bulliver bulliver is offline
So very tired...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Penticton
Posts: 3,729
AGA: I love that gunsmoke cladding they are putting on the 'fins'.

Quest: It looks like the floor to ceiling height has increased considerably on those top two floors, or is that an illusion due to the scaffolding?

Serenity: I prefer that clean, simple south elevation. We have plenty of red brick in this city...
__________________
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
     
     
  #7044  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:52 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
"Quest: It looks like the floor to ceiling height has increased considerably on those top two floors, or is that an illusion due to the scaffolding?"

typically sub and pents go from 9' to 10' or more so it very well could be...
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7045  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:20 PM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Can someone tell me why the hell Rexall is not using the corner as their entrance (a la Sobey's)????????



Corners are meant for that, not a display case for perfume. ARGH
Yup I do not understand it either. It's such a focal point and it's being wasted.

The AGA is looking good as always. Serenity still...ugh (IMO). Quest I will reserve my thoughts until you can really get a close look at how they built it...ie remove the construction material around the building.
     
     
  #7046  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:30 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
"Quest I will reserve my thoughts until you can really get a close look at how they built it...ie remove the construction material around the building."

you mean add construction material so there is a finish
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7047  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:43 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
I think quest will turn out fine.. if it's like the Omega. Except the Omega hates the North (right).

In any case, it looks so "bad-🞵🞵🞵" all alone on that corner. Height is great from afar..
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #7048  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:47 PM
tallisgood's Avatar
tallisgood tallisgood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Not enough room

Big-bucks conventions have to be turned away


By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU

Last Updated: 22nd July 2009, 2:55am

Just three years after taxpayers sunk millions of dollars into expanding the Shaw Conference Centre, officials say the building is once again bursting at the seams.

Last year, 12 conventions had to be turned away -- meetings that had the potential to inject $10 million into the city's economy, according to a report slated to go before city council today.

Most of those meetings went to other cities.
[email protected]

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2009/07/22/10216556-sun.html
Looks like expanding the Shaw will need to be a critical part of the Quarters redevelopment. Quarters NEEDS to get done, the sooner the better. Right now the neighbourhood around 97th St is a disgrace. I would want that cleaned up before we pump more tourists and convention-goers into the area.
     
     
  #7049  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:50 PM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
^I assume the East Jasper Block...aka Jasper Av 96-97st will be the "first" to revitalize. It will be on one of the ends of the "Armature", the Valleyview would be kitty corner, UCAMA is right on the block (although I don't see it going for a few yrs), and there are a handful of truly amazing historic buildings that just need a little cleanup. Then we need to do some enhancements and create a promenade on the southside, facing LMP. 97th St will probably get "enhanced" organically with the Civic Quarter being developed.

(ps - 97th would probably be a "good" part of the neighbourhood. at least it has buildings.)

Last edited by ue; Jul 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM.
     
     
  #7050  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:54 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
tallisgood... that avatar is almost a little too risque for me to read this thread at work anymore...haha
__________________
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg
     
     
  #7051  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:59 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallisgood View Post
Looks like expanding the Shaw will need to be a critical part of the Quarters redevelopment. Quarters NEEDS to get done, the sooner the better. Right now the neighbourhood around 97th St is a disgrace. I would want that cleaned up before we pump more tourists and convention-goers into the area.
the quarters cannot just 'get done' dude
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7052  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:33 PM
Harrison's Avatar
Harrison Harrison is offline
A Better Place
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallisgood View Post
Looks like expanding the Shaw will need to be a critical part of the Quarters redevelopment. Quarters NEEDS to get done, the sooner the better. Right now the neighbourhood around 97th St is a disgrace. I would want that cleaned up before we pump more tourists and convention-goers into the area.
I wouldn't say a "critical par" per se, but it would be a rather important step in the area's redevelopment. I don't see where else the Shaw can expand from its current building, that hillside is quite full from the looks of it. I'd like to see a separate expansion building be built in the Quarters, but just east of the Arts Lofts between 102 and 101A Ave. It could be linked to the main Shaw buildings via underground pedway. Just my thoughts on the situation.
__________________
Bingo bango bongo
     
     
  #7053  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:37 PM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
^and could connect to the ped mall that is supposed to be between 96 and 97 "96a st".
     
     
  #7054  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:48 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
I notice that they're working on the pre-cast sections of the penthouse on city centre tower. I was worried they were going to leave them as is... both the CC tower and Oxford could come out looking okay if they make the penthouse cladding black or dark grey
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #7055  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:49 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Wow... Edmonton attracted almost 8000 more residents than Calgary last year! Nice!
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #7056  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:55 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I notice that they're working on the pre-cast sections of the penthouse on city centre tower. I was worried they were going to leave them as is... both the CC tower and Oxford could come out looking okay if they make the penthouse cladding black or dark grey
yup noticed that last night.... looks quite modern with the grey and new glass.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7057  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 6:02 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Wow... Edmonton attracted almost 8000 more residents than Calgary last year! Nice!
Source?
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #7058  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 6:05 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ Just read in the online herald that they added about 22,500 compared to over 30,000 for Edmonton metro

It'd probably be a bit tighter if they factor in the growth for Airdrie and Cochrane, but still nice to know.

EDIT: I guess that 30k increase for Edmonton was only for the city proper, so we did in fact register a substantially higher number of residents overall.
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #7059  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 6:24 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Job No 88281671-001: To change the use from a General Retail to a Specialty Foods Services ( Second Cup) and to comstruct interior alterations.
10818 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Plan 0722045 Blk 8 Lot 87A
STEPHEN R PILE ARCHITECT INC

DOWNTOWN
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #7060  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 6:35 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
yup noticed that last night.... looks quite modern with the grey and new glass.
I'm not sure about the painted-on grey, I was hoping for new panels like TD Tower, and I was hoping for something a bit more stylish overall with the spandrels, but the new glass is a huge, huge improvement over the patchwork quilt of different shades of glass that was there before.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.