Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster
^ Newf, would a bike lane from 107th/124th all the way down Jasper to, let's say.. the Quarters, or even Rowland Road, work? Really, a can of paint should do it 
|
Well, Jasper is the city's recommended bike route, which I think is dumb. Why mix bikes with onstreet parking, buses, and pedestrians? I don't want to make a political statement - I just want to get where I'm going, and not get hit.
103ave has no traffic on it. The intersection at 109st gets busy from 4:45-5:15, and that's it. It could easily lose a lane. 102 ave, in comparison has a fair number or transit routes, and sees much more traffic once you get into Oliver. 100ave would be great, except that the transition at 116 street will always be a mess (a bike flyover would be cool), east of 109 things get tight (although I think it could lose an eastbound lane), and it just sortof goes away east of 102 or 100 street.
The blue is what we already have. With the red (or any E-W route), we'd have pretty decent access to most the city. The west is a mess regardless, and the east has the Dawson bridge which is a little bumpy and hilly, but works.
But seriously, nobody would even notice a yellow line painted all the way down 30 blocks of 103ave. Drivers would probably just assume it's supposed to be there, and stay clear. With a video camera for documentation I'm sure there's a decent exhibit on guerrilla urbanism for the Canadian Centre for Architecture in there somewhere.