Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8
I am shocked by the amount of space devoted towards parking
Why??? Long-term parking is probably the most inefficient use of land imaginable and to put so much of it on a site that is the best served by transit in all of BC boggles the mind!
|
What amount of space devoted to parking are you referring to? Are you referring to what exists now? I just flipped through the slides and the future plans heavily emphasize transit use over private vehicle use. The 'Land Use' slide talks about minimizing parking in new developments to discourage car use. The 'Challenges' slide points out that any Hub plan will require destruction of the Granville Street parkade, resulting in the loss of parking. All the slides hammer home how great the transit connections are at Waterfront, and how the site will be developed around transit.
Thanks for posting the link to the updated slides jlousa, and attending on SSP's behalf

Those of us who can't be in Vancouver appreciate it. The concept looks great - I like that they refer visually to Potsdamer Platz repeatedly, and I would love to see our own (likely scaled down) version of that on the waterfront. It all seems very far away though - if the landowners/developers decide to proceed with this in 4 years (reasonable estimate?), it sounds like we'll see it built out around 2020.
Here are some of the flashier renders from the 2009 Open House slides jlousa linked to on the COV's website (
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/currentplanning/whitecaps/presentationboards2.htm ):