HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1201  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:30 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,938
...Unfortunately i believe the Ryan building was done years ago. I don't think there actually is much, if any insides left in that building. The structural bracing for the facade and roof supports have compromised any hope of an original building surviving any type of rebuild. I would imagine that a street facing facade is all that we ever could expect to get out of this building in a rehabilitation. Someone else on this forum might have better insight into the measures taken to structurally secure this building but this is my understanding of what has happened.
     
     
  #1202  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 4:46 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Most people of intelligence moved years ago. I'm clearly slow. If that building is gone, I will be too. I have no desire to be part of a community that could let such a thing happen. I'd rather move somewhere that isn't cold, where the NDP government isn't destroying everything like a cancer, where historical areas are treated with the respect they deserve. Plus the gang problem is only getting worse in this city. Heck they're building a new Autopac building on main street. I guess to service the area of the city with the worst amount of break-ins. Housing prices have levelled off elsewhere, might as well use that opportunity to get out of wishy washy Winnipeg. will we or won't we get LRT some time next decade? I don't care anymore. I'd rather live in a city where I won't fear that I'll die from there not being qualified medical personnel staffed at the ER. This garbage going on with a building I like is a metaphor for this city in a nutshell to me. If that building goes down, my attachment to this city is gone. I gave this city too much of a chance already, and its only letting me down at every opportunity. A glass parking lot. How apt.

Don't just talk about it, DO IT! Sooner or later you will come back with the knowledge that as bad as things are done here, other places are no better or worse.
     
     
  #1203  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 4:47 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Most people of intelligence moved years ago. I'm clearly slow. If that building is gone, I will be too. I have no desire to be part of a community that could let such a thing happen. I'd rather move somewhere that isn't cold, where the NDP government isn't destroying everything like a cancer, where historical areas are treated with the respect they deserve. Plus the gang problem is only getting worse in this city. Heck they're building a new Autopac building on main street. I guess to service the area of the city with the worst amount of break-ins. Housing prices have levelled off elsewhere, might as well use that opportunity to get out of wishy washy Winnipeg. will we or won't we get LRT some time next decade? I don't care anymore. I'd rather live in a city where I won't fear that I'll die from there not being qualified medical personnel staffed at the ER. This garbage going on with a building I like is a metaphor for this city in a nutshell to me. If that building goes down, my attachment to this city is gone. I gave this city too much of a chance already, and its only letting me down at every opportunity. A glass parking lot. How apt.
autopack is buiding a new facility in the north end its curently at duffring and king

yea but dude moving away hows that help that just makes this city more hick i hate when people do that look what happen to detroit... moving away makes things worse in the end fight don't give up why do so many people just — give up....... (i used to have crack houses next to me my parents chose to stay and fight the fight instead of moving)

part of the problem in this city is the meadia........

anyhow people should be throwing eggs at owners of the ryan blocks house or throwing trash on his lawn......... somthing that gets a point to him


as for the hospital stuff yea they — — thats something u need to harass your mla about
     
     
  #1204  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:15 PM
Only The Lonely..'s Avatar
Only The Lonely.. Only The Lonely.. is offline
Portage & Main 50 below
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,872
Well, officially as far as we know the facade is being preserved.

As a result of the uproar over the proposed Hydro demo perhaps the Ryan block still has a fighting chance.
     
     
  #1205  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:34 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,930
^ but still, what really is the big deal about a brick facade? The building it once enclosed will be gone either way.

There is no reason to throw a hissy fit about a brick facade, at the end of the day its just a faux shell on an otherwise brand new building.

Let's save our energy and direct it towards preventing more buildings in the exchange from ending up where the Ryan Block is going.
     
     
  #1206  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:37 PM
Only The Lonely..'s Avatar
Only The Lonely.. Only The Lonely.. is offline
Portage & Main 50 below
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,872
City studies how to widen Kenaston

By: Bartley Kives | Winnipeg Free Press

Winnipeg is studying five different ways to widen the most congested stretch of Kenaston Boulevard -- and they all involve bulldozing homes or condominiums on the western edge of River Heights.

The city is spending $750,000 over 18 months to explore ways to increase capacity on Kenaston Boulevard between Ness Avenue in St. James and Taylor Avenue in South River Heights. Daily traffic volumes on this four-kilometre section range from 43,600 to 76,200 vehicles, according to 2007 city data, with the heaviest traffic rolling over the St. James Bridge.

A survey conducted by Probe Research last year suggested 89 per cent of area residents support the idea of widening Kenaston Boulevard, according to the MMM Group, the consulting firm involved in the study. But it wasn't until this week, when a pair of open houses were held, that residents got a peek at the actual plans.

Consultants and city transportation engineers have come up with five options for increasing traffic capacity, all fraught with some form of controversy.

"All of the options do require some sort of property acquisition," said Neil Myska, the transportation planning engineer in charge of the Kenaston study. "It's always difficult when you're trying to widen an existing roadway. The goal is to displace as few people as possible."

Widening Kenaston between Taylor and Ness is not listed in the city's capital budget forecast, a six-year planning blueprint that includes all projects approved by city council.

As a result, there is no price tag associated with the widening. But an infrastructure-planning document that circulated through city hall earlier this month pegged the cost at no less than $155 million -- $70 million to widen Kenaston from Taylor to the Assiniboine River, plus another $85 million to widen the St. James Bridge.

City council is not actively trying to allocate money for the Kenaston project, partly because of the ongoing legal dispute over Kapyong Barracks. But information presented at this week's open houses suggests work could begin as early as 2010.

In the meantime, the consultants have more open houses slated for the end of this year. First, they have to whittle down a list of five capacity-building options SEnD four conventional road widenings and a more radical plan to develop a pair of one-way routes through River Heights.

The latter plan, which would require the demolition of new condos going up on what used to be CN Rail land, bewildered some of the Winnipeggers who attended the open houses.

The narrow strip of former railway land should have been reserved for a bike corridor, said Janice Lukes, director of the Winnipeg Trails Association.

Katrin Glas, an area resident whose home would be destroyed under three out of five options, said she is amazed by the poor state of planning in Winnipeg.

"They shouldn't have built on the train tracks. The vision wasn't there," said Glas, who nonetheless believes the CN Rail plan is the best out of five options.

"Someone is going to have to move. Why should it be people who've been here for many, many years?" she asked. "The people who built those condos won't take as much of a loss."

[email protected]

1. Widen Kenaston Boulevard to the west: This plan calls for the city to acquire land immediately west of Kenaston and widen the street to six lanes. The study suggests this option may be less desirable because it does not allow the street to line up with the St. James Bridge.

2. Widen Kenaston to the east: Compared to Option No. 1, widening Kenaston to the east allows the street to line up better with the St. James Bridge. But it calls for more properties to be purchased or expropriated -- approximately 100 homes and condos, according to city transportation planning engineer Neil Myska.

3. Widen Kenaston in both directions: Widening Kenaston on both sides is deemed to be the least viable option, because it would call for approximately 150 homes and condos to be bulldozed.

4. Widen Kenaston on alternating sides: This option calls for a new Kenaston Boulevard to zig-zag through River Heights, with expropriations limited to as few houses as possible. About 40 homes would still need to be demolished, but some of them are empty right now, Myska said. This option also allows for a favourable bridge alignment.

5. Utilize the former CN Rail line: Unlike the four other options, this plan does not call for expropriations along Kenaston Boulevard. Instead, the city would turn the existing Kenaston Boulevard into a one-way route for southbound traffic and also carve out space for a service road on the east side. Northbound traffic would head through River Heights 2.5 blocks to the east, along the former CN Rail line between Lockwood and Centennial streets. A bike-and-pedestrian path would sit immediately to the east. But condos under construction on this narrow strip of land would have to be torn down.
     
     
  #1207  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:45 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ but still, what really is the big deal about a brick facade? The building it once enclosed will be gone either way.

There is no reason to throw a hissy fit about a brick facade, at the end of the day its just a faux shell on an otherwise brand new building.

Let's save our energy and direct it towards preventing more buildings in the exchange from ending up where the Ryan Block is going.
we lost and won at the same time i hate that.....

anyhow we need to preserve whats left and when the parkade is done the city should jack his tax's up i hope he gets nailed by that ever so stupid provincial tax
     
     
  #1208  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:53 PM
hexrae's Avatar
hexrae hexrae is offline
Armchair urbanist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
5. Utilize the former CN Rail line: Unlike the four other options, this plan does not call for expropriations along Kenaston Boulevard. Instead, the city would turn the existing Kenaston Boulevard into a one-way route for southbound traffic and also carve out space for a service road on the east side. Northbound traffic would head through River Heights 2.5 blocks to the east, along the former CN Rail line between Lockwood and Centennial streets. A bike-and-pedestrian path would sit immediately to the east. But condos under construction on this narrow strip of land would have to be torn down.
lol, if this was on the menu why were condo's allowed to be built in the first place

Open House Displays here
     
     
  #1209  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:11 PM
blake10 blake10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
lol, if this was on the menu why were condo's allowed to be built in the first place

Open House Displays here
That is a dumb idea anyway. Where exactly will this road re-connect with the other side? The zig-zag idea is equally bad.
     
     
  #1210  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:16 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
they should just move all the houseing off route 90
     
     
  #1211  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:28 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake10 View Post
That is a dumb idea anyway. Where exactly will this road re-connect with the other side? The zig-zag idea is equally bad.
already does it though lol
     
     
  #1212  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:47 PM
TSN's Avatar
TSN TSN is offline
Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Most people of intelligence moved years ago. I'm clearly slow. If that building is gone, I will be too. I have no desire to be part of a community that could let such a thing happen. I'd rather move somewhere that isn't cold, where the NDP government isn't destroying everything like a cancer, where historical areas are treated with the respect they deserve. Plus the gang problem is only getting worse in this city. Heck they're building a new Autopac building on main street. I guess to service the area of the city with the worst amount of break-ins. Housing prices have levelled off elsewhere, might as well use that opportunity to get out of wishy washy Winnipeg. will we or won't we get LRT some time next decade? I don't care anymore. I'd rather live in a city where I won't fear that I'll die from there not being qualified medical personnel staffed at the ER. This garbage going on with a building I like is a metaphor for this city in a nutshell to me. If that building goes down, my attachment to this city is gone. I gave this city too much of a chance already, and its only letting me down at every opportunity. A glass parking lot. How apt.
If you are talking about progressive city planning, then yes, this city is the mother of all backwaters. Having lived in several different places, it is a depressing place to be from this perspective.

The healthcare/crime problem exists everywhere you go, not unique to Winnipeg.

I don't think the — urban planning or lack of any is enough of a single reason to drive anyone away but it will keep outsiders away. But throw in the escalating cost of housing (much of it due to artificially constrained supply IMO), coupled with some of the lamest wage growth in Canada, I can see very few outsiders coming in and perhaps more Winnipeggers leaving in the future.
     
     
  #1213  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:53 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
what the 90's allover again?
     
     
  #1214  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 7:04 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
lol, if this was on the menu why were condo's allowed to be built in the first place
I've said that to anyone that would listen for years, even when I used to live right next to the old rail line. It would have been perfect for north bound route 90. Never going to happen now. I'm not sure why they're even considering it. Everything in this city has been done for the now, not for the future. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a bus driver.
     
     
  #1215  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:41 PM
metonymy's Avatar
metonymy metonymy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 116
Not major news, but Tall Grass Prairie is planning an addition to their bakery on Westminster. A little more space there would definitely help out!

     
     
  #1216  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:51 PM
blake10 blake10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I've said that to anyone that would listen for years, even when I used to live right next to the old rail line. It would have been perfect for north bound route 90. Never going to happen now. I'm not sure why they're even considering it. Everything in this city has been done for the now, not for the future. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a bus driver.
If I had it my way, they would get rid of ALL houses along the route, widen the road to three lanes and put diamond interchanges at Taylor, Grant and Corydon. Academy can go under the new St James Bridge, but there would be no access to SB Route 90 (or access from NB Route 90 to Academy).
     
     
  #1217  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:55 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,938
Tall Grass Prairie. Best cinnamon buns around.^^^
     
     
  #1218  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 9:30 PM
Spocket's Avatar
Spocket Spocket is offline
Back from the dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake10 View Post
If I had it my way, they would get rid of ALL houses along the route, widen the road to three lanes and put diamond interchanges at Taylor, Grant and Corydon. Academy can go under the new St James Bridge, but there would be no access to SB Route 90 (or access from NB Route 90 to Academy).
To be honest, I think that that's just compounding our planning mistakes of the past. However, I also happen to think that in the end, we won't have much choice but to do something like that anyway.

Jobs in the north, homes in the south. We've pretty much created a situation whereby people have to use Route 90 to get to work.
     
     
  #1219  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 9:58 PM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by metonymy View Post
Not major news, but Tall Grass Prairie is planning an addition to their bakery on Westminster. A little more space there would definitely help out!
Very nice people who run that shop.

I think they first proposed an addition about 5 years ago (and got sidetracked with a move into the Forks Market) - is it moving ahead or is this from the archives?
     
     
  #1220  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 10:05 PM
good_dude's Avatar
good_dude good_dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 'peg city
Posts: 519
Where did this rumour start about the King brick facade being dumped anway? And whoever started it, tell us you source..
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:11 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.