HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2961  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:46 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
/\ yeah, good site. The some of those shots are from Summer of '07, not sure about the rest. Google Maps is my other staple, using street view when available. I only use Live if I want to see something via birdseye view
I wonder when street view will become available for Edmonton? I've heard people say they've seen unmarked vans driving around with multi-camera fittings on top.. assuming that's google..
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #2962  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:48 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
^have a feeling that is not google but rather the automated license plate checking machine van crew guys.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2963  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 6:16 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
I wonder when street view will become available for Edmonton? I've heard people say they've seen unmarked vans driving around with multi-camera fittings on top.. assuming that's google..
Might be. I heard a year and a half ago it was going to be a little more difficult as privacy laws are different here and they would have to blur out every persons face, every license plate, etc. But the context of the interview/article (not sure what it was) was that that it was coming at some point.
__________________
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg
     
     
  #2964  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 6:39 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
anyone with a good bird's eye of Quest? pics please.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2965  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 7:58 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Ck's Third Annual Sustainable Cities Ranking

Interesting ranking from Corporate Knights regarding city sustainability.

Edmonton comes out on top for major cities.

An interesting read:

http://static.corporateknights.ca/SustainableCities2009.pdf
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain

Last edited by 240glt; Jan 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM.
     
     
  #2966  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:10 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
^bad link, but I find that very very hard to imagine.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2967  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:15 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ fixed that for you.

I don't think it's THAT much of a stretch.... but considering I've never heard of this group I'll just take it for what it's worth: Shameless cheerleading!

And I'm in a cheerleading mood! I just won a three month battle with an electrical inspector down south over $125k worth of extras to a contract that they were arguing were in our original scope. Somebody owes me some beer!
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #2968  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:22 PM
0773|=\ 0773|=\ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,256
I wonder how they come up with scores on that report. Interesting that Vancouver, because it's actual city population is below 750,000 is ranked with medium-sized cities.
     
     
  #2969  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:30 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2970  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:42 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Colliers Q4

http://www.colliersmn.com/prod/ccgrd.nsf/publish/96A9B99062866F418525753F005A76F1/$File/EdmOfficeQ42008.pdf

-Stats Can has taken 1/4 of Beaver House (currently vacant)
- AIM took 84,000 of 10830 jasper
-Bennett Jones sublet 40,000 in telus
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2971  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:43 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^^ That's a pretty cheery forecast for all the major centres in Canada. We'll just have to wait & see how things really pan out.
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #2972  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:45 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
the old Roost redevelopment with their concept

http://www.colliersmn.com/prod/cclod.nsf/publish/025CBC378002776B85257508005B95E2/$File/104Street_WEB.pdf
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2973  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:14 PM
GoMod's Avatar
GoMod GoMod is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 136
^with proper and accurate architectural detailing and genuine materials that would be a nice improvement
__________________
'God gave man dominion over the earth' (Genesis), but that didn't mean he could leave it pillaged and smoking.
     
     
  #2974  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
GoMod's Avatar
GoMod GoMod is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 136
^^On second thought....if you kept most of the building as is and turned it into a kickass little gallery you get something like...this yes/no?
__________________
'God gave man dominion over the earth' (Genesis), but that didn't mean he could leave it pillaged and smoking.
     
     
  #2975  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:33 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
I was actually thinking more along keeping the bottom and adding this on top



interiors

http://www.vopenhouse.ca/vid/177_JN4387W/Gallery/
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2976  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
GoMod's Avatar
GoMod GoMod is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 136
Oh heck, sure why not!
__________________
'God gave man dominion over the earth' (Genesis), but that didn't mean he could leave it pillaged and smoking.
     
     
  #2977  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:29 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
I'm surprised they aren't proposing some tacky condo building for the site, like a Century or Altavista XVIII... Having said that the design is bland but adequate... Personally I'd prefer a stark, all glass structure, but what are going to do...
     
     
  #2978  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:30 AM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMod View Post
^with proper and accurate architectural detailing and genuine materials that would be a nice improvement
True....
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #2979  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:03 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Apparently GE Fanuc is leaving the Oxford Tower for suburban offices on 23rd Ave. Booo.
     
     
  #2980  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:17 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,211
Got to check out a unit in the Illuminada tower two last night. Pretty swanky joint.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
I wonder when street view will become available for Edmonton? I've heard people say they've seen unmarked vans driving around with multi-camera fittings on top.. assuming that's google..
Was it near a school?


__________________
Lana. Lana. Lana? LANA! Danger Zone
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.