HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 5:08 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is online now
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
That has to be the blandest building in Manitoba (next to the Canad Inn in Brandon).


not a world beater, i'll agree, but compared to most hotels?...its no worse.









the polo park inn is way uglier....
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 5:20 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
indeed it is but then polo park inn was built when?
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 6:16 AM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
came across this photo of that wrha gem going up at portage and broadway on flickr...bryanscott.

this is what our government builds on our most important street....talk about instilling a culture of good design,


The only positives about this building is that they decided to build right up to the sidewalk, and it did eat up an existing surface parking lot that took up a quarter of that block.

It's not great, but it could have been a lot worse.
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 6:28 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanprince View Post
Bottom line is that the citizens want government to listen, involve and then do.

Government far to often thinks its suppose just do. And when it does, it is usaully wrong.
I could almost support this line of thinking, but lets face it .. when you are talking about an electorite who don't bother to vote ... and then show up to NIMBY fairly good projects which will add density to the city .. just for the sake of protesting , well that doesn't fly in my books.

I am so tired of people who fight so hard to prevent progress .. especially when it is ussualy the same people who argue that life was better decades ago. Well time moves forward ... either adjust or get out of the way.
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 6:29 AM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm sure it's just me but does anybody else wonder if something seems wrong about the idea of a professional protester ?
Its about the same as a professional politician.
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 6:30 AM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
is it even meating the leads requirements?
I don't believe that agencies and crown corps have to meed the LEED requirement - i could be wrong though. Not sure about leased space. It's a pretty vague policy.
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 6:33 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
came across this photo of that wrha gem going up at portage and broadway on flickr...bryanscott.

this is what our government builds on our most important street....talk about instilling a culture of good design,

WOW ... I wonder if they they will sell this beatutiful box this design to Payless Shoes. Could you imagine a more fitting box design for discount shoes??

Of course this will scar Portage Avenue for decades to come. Among the worst designs I have seen ..horrible for Winnipeg's most important street.. Where is the vision?? ... I hope they didn't actually pay someone to design that thing, because if thats what passes as acceptable design .. than someone needs to get fired quick.
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 10:51 AM
rgalston's Avatar
rgalston rgalston is offline
Density and complexity
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parish of St. John
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Sheer banality, but exactly what one can expect from the WRHA. We get exactly what we deserve.

The only consolation is that I will probably have not yet reached middle age when I see this building condemned, placarded, and demolished.
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 1:19 PM
wags_in_the_peg's Avatar
wags_in_the_peg wags_in_the_peg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 3,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I don't believe that agencies and crown corps have to meed the LEED requirement - i could be wrong though. Not sure about leased space. It's a pretty vague policy.
from what I understand crown corp and buildings mb gov't lease don't have to meet LEED. What to go Doer!
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:00 PM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Sheer banality, but exactly what one can expect from the WRHA. We get exactly what we deserve.

The only consolation is that I will probably have not yet reached middle age when I see this building condemned, placarded, and demolished.
I think all it needs to fix it are a few banners and maybe some lighting and last but not least Virginia creeper.
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:00 PM
rgalston's Avatar
rgalston rgalston is offline
Density and complexity
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parish of St. John
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I think all it needs to fix it are a few banners and maybe some lighting and last but not least Virginia creeper.
Agreed. The West End Business Improvement Zone needs to get on that. They should also find a nationality (European, but exotic European) to brand the strip with. Build upon the momentum!
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:20 PM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Agreed. The West End Business Improvement Zone needs to get on that. They should also find a nationality (European, but exotic European) to brand the strip with. Build upon the momentum!
I almost forgot the critical component - a mural.
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 11:39 PM
nordique's Avatar
nordique nordique is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I almost forgot the critical component - a mural.
haha burrnn.

but yeah some vines or virginia creepers covering that bomb shelter would be nice. or awnings. or some sort of signage. anything indicating life forms in the building.
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 2:15 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Agreed. The West End Business Improvement Zone needs to get on that. They should also find a nationality (European, but exotic European) to brand the strip with. Build upon the momentum!
Welcome to Liechtensteintown? Little Gdansk? Byelorussiaville? The Andorran Quarter?

I've already reached middle age but I still hope to see that turned into a weedy gravel parking lot before I pass on.
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 2:58 AM
Boreal's Avatar
Boreal Boreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,704
As bad as it is, I have a tough time criminalizing it with 'Cash Money' and it's visual decadence across the street.

Although, perhaps if we're lucky, the local graffiti artists will make it a staple on their nightly runs. It couldn't hurt.
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:48 AM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,370
Wow I was feisty last night! Good times.
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:59 AM
rgalston's Avatar
rgalston rgalston is offline
Density and complexity
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parish of St. John
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Welcome to Liechtensteintown? Little Gdansk? Byelorussiaville? The Andorran Quarter?
Now we're talking. I can just see the hulking "archway" over Portage and Victor

Welcome to Liechtensteintown: kommen sie zum spass

Should I write up the press release to send to the business editors now, or should I wait 'til Friday?
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 8:59 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Now we're talking. I can just see the hulking "archway" over Portage and Victor

Welcome to Liechtensteintown: kommen sie zum spass

Should I write up the press release to send to the business editors now, or should I wait 'til Friday?
go for it
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 3:27 PM
spiritedenergy's Avatar
spiritedenergy spiritedenergy is offline
A long time gone
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Great Spirit Land
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
came across this photo of that wrha gem going up at portage and broadway on flickr...bryanscott.

this is what our government builds on our most important street....talk about instilling a culture of good design,

weird but not too bad... some are worse in downtown imho
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 4:15 AM
urbanprince urbanprince is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 179
The great architects have left the city. What remains are the one's that barely passed.

The city Design Review committee should be disbanded. It has no use, unless it is given power. And under a Planning Director that does not know the difference between growth and development, the committee is mute.

Until there is a stronger planning department that does not feat the hand of politicians, the same bs will continue.

At least we have the BIZes to fix up the — put on the sidewalks.

Although I would suggest that the business community becomes more vocal on urban design issues.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.