HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3361  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 1:57 AM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
Good light makes good pictures. A few more from the last week. If that's not enough, click on Revel in my signature for a photo thread.




@CCF. I'm using a Nikon D50 and two lenses for the most part: Nikon F/1.4 50mm and Tokina F/4 12-24mm.
     
     
  #3362  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 5:49 PM
Chaps Chaps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
nice pics, I live right by that Roca Jacks
Where is that Roca Jacks? I've never seen it before.
     
     
  #3363  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 6:25 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
Roca Jack's is on 13th Avenue on the North side of the block immediately West of Albert Street (just around the corner from Viet Thai and The Freehouse.)

Speaking of Roca Jack's is there any news on the...ummm...what we might call renovation of their spot on Scarth Street? It's been pretty much no action for months that I've seen.
     
     
  #3364  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 8:51 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
City Unveils Landfill Gas Collection System

Monday October 29th 2007 - News Release
The City of Regina has officially unveiled a new Landfill Gas Collection System at the Fleet Street Landfill.

Landfill gas is generated when organic waste decomposes. The gas typically consists of approximately 50% methane and 50% carbon dioxide. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas that has 21 times the global warming potential than carbon dioxide.

The new collection system will help to reduce potentially harmful greenhouse gas emissions by transforming methane to carbon dioxide and will provide a means for potential use of landfill gas as an energy source.

“This new gas collection system is an important first step towards implementing a landfill gas utilization project where the gas that’s collected will then be used to create solar hydrogen energy,” said Councillor Fred Clipsham, who cut the ribbon to unveil the new system. “This initiative shows City Council’s commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and to seeking partnerships with other organizations also committed to environmentally responsible action.”

The City of Regina has developed a partnership with the company Solar Hydrogen Energy Corporation (SHEC), under which SHEC will purchase the gas collected, beginning in July 2008, and transform into solar hydrogen energy within the next five years.

Cost of the new collection system, including research, design and construction, was approximately $2.5 million. Revenue for the City from the gas sales to SHEC is estimated at $50-70,000 annually. The City will also accumulate greenhouse gas credits as a result of the destruction of landfill gas methane. These credits could in the future generate approximately $80-100,000 per year.

The project consultant for construction of the collection system was Conestoga-Rovers and Associates, on-site consultant was Clifton Associates and the prime contractor was Westridge Construction.

- regina.ca
     
     
  #3365  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 1:19 AM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
City Unveils Landfill Gas Collection System

Monday October 29th 2007 - News Release
The City of Regina has officially unveiled a new Landfill Gas Collection System at the Fleet Street Landfill.

Landfill gas is generated when organic waste decomposes. The gas typically consists of approximately 50% methane and 50% carbon dioxide. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas that has 21 times the global warming potential than carbon dioxide.

The new collection system will help to reduce potentially harmful greenhouse gas emissions by transforming methane to carbon dioxide and will provide a means for potential use of landfill gas as an energy source.

“This new gas collection system is an important first step towards implementing a landfill gas utilization project where the gas that’s collected will then be used to create solar hydrogen energy,” said Councillor Fred Clipsham, who cut the ribbon to unveil the new system. “This initiative shows City Council’s commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and to seeking partnerships with other organizations also committed to environmentally responsible action.”

The City of Regina has developed a partnership with the company Solar Hydrogen Energy Corporation (SHEC), under which SHEC will purchase the gas collected, beginning in July 2008, and transform into solar hydrogen energy within the next five years.

Cost of the new collection system, including research, design and construction, was approximately $2.5 million. Revenue for the City from the gas sales to SHEC is estimated at $50-70,000 annually. The City will also accumulate greenhouse gas credits as a result of the destruction of landfill gas methane. These credits could in the future generate approximately $80-100,000 per year.

The project consultant for construction of the collection system was Conestoga-Rovers and Associates, on-site consultant was Clifton Associates and the prime contractor was Westridge Construction.

- regina.ca
Yeah and they could also build a 10 Mw electrical generator, that would last 40 years on current levels, and make over $1M per year selling to SaskPower plus the credits.
     
     
  #3366  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:20 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
So with the overwhelming amount of ticket sales this year, there's talk about upgrading mosaic stadium further. On the news last night, they mentioned increasing capacity by up to 10,000 (that would be about 40,000)

I think thats great news, but I think 35,000 would be a better number, we dont wanna end up with a bunch of empty seats.

Also, I think they should really focus on upgrading the existing facilities. The concessions and bathrooms at Mosaic stadium are frightening
     
     
  #3367  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:16 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
^Agreed. 35,000 would be a nice range. Empty seats is terrible, just look at Montreal for how shrinking the stadium does wonders for atmosphere. And definitely put some into upgrades. The whole lighting and brutalism at night games is actually quite frightening. It seems like a place from nightmares.

Have they been doing any structural inspections on Taylor -- I refuse to leave the 80s --Field? The leaks through the structure during the blackout game were not instilling a lot of confidence in me.
     
     
  #3368  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:55 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Agreed. 35,000 would be a nice range. Empty seats is terrible, just look at Montreal for how shrinking the stadium does wonders for atmosphere. And definitely put some into upgrades. The whole lighting and brutalism at night games is actually quite frightening. It seems like a place from nightmares.

Have they been doing any structural inspections on Taylor -- I refuse to leave the 80s --Field? The leaks through the structure during the blackout game were not instilling a lot of confidence in me.
I remember hearing a couple years ago that the Mosaic Stadium structure was inspected and passed with flying colours. That said, from people who I know that are 'in the know' say that plans are well underway to either build permanent seating in the north endzone that would connect both the east and the west side stands or extend the current East/West structure so that they would go up to the end of the endzones (ie McMahon Stadium) instead of the goalline. Also from what I have heard, an upper deck on the East side stands isn't likely as the pressbox is already at the top and its not known whether the current foundation could support such an addition. Personally I would prefer extending the current stuctures as side seating is much better than endzone seating. (and I agree that a capacity of 35,000 should be the goal for any addition)
     
     
  #3369  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 8:04 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
I remember hearing a couple years ago that the Mosaic Stadium structure was inspected and passed with flying colours. That said, from people who I know that are 'in the know' say that plans are well underway to either build permanent seating in the north endzone that would connect both the east and the west side stands or extend the current East/West structure so that they would go up to the end of the endzones (ie McMahon Stadium) instead of the goalline. Also from what I have heard, an upper deck on the East side stands isn't likely as the pressbox is already at the top and its not known whether the current foundation could support such an addition. Personally I would prefer extending the current stuctures as side seating is much better than endzone seating. (and I agree that a capacity of 35,000 should be the goal for any addition)
I agree that they should definately consider extending the sideline seating, because that offers much better views, and they would be able to sell those tickets for more, which means more revenue.

But I think it should be a mix. If the capacity is increased by 6,000 (to 35,000), I think at least 2-3,000 of those seats should be in the endzone. Just because if we don't sell all 35,000 seats, at least the sideline seating would probably still be full. Empty seats on the sidelines are much better than empty seats on the sidelines
     
     
  #3370  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:10 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is online now
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Time to start thinking about a new stadium!!
     
     
  #3371  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
Regina Boi Regina Boi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 468
I'm surprised the Riders didn't bring in some form of temporary seating for the playoff game. They could have sold several thousand more tickets in a heartbeat.
     
     
  #3372  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 10:21 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
I'm surprised the Riders didn't bring in some form of temporary seating for the playoff game. They could have sold several thousand more tickets in a heartbeat.
I think they said the cost of the temporary stands would be more than any added revenue, so it wasn't worth it.

Still would have been nice though, even if it meant a slight loss of revenue. The Riders would stand a much better chance of winning with 50,000 13th men, as opposed to 28,800
     
     
  #3373  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 10:58 PM
swilley's Avatar
swilley swilley is offline
Saskatchewan's Largest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Empty seats on the sidelines are much better than empty seats on the sidelines
     
     
  #3374  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 11:13 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
Sorry, that should read "Empty seats in the endzones are much better than empty seats on the sidelines"
     
     
  #3375  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:36 AM
Jerosko Jerosko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
i know this is completely off topic but does anyone know the stats for the amount of people or cars that pass through vic avenue east or the population of the residents in the area
     
     
  #3376  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:42 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is online now
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Doing a little market research?

Sorry though, I don't know the answer to your question.
     
     
  #3377  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 10:29 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Can someone think up a list of the all the projects in and around downtown Regina? Including Under-Construction, proposed, rumoured, etc..

I'm going to draw them all onto a nice map, but I know I'm forgetting some. Here's what I can think of off the top of my head..

U/C or soon to begin construction
- STC
- Wingate
- Victoria Place
- Old Superstore land
- IPSCO Place expansion
- Leader Building

Proposed
- Mosaic Stadium Expansion
- Qu'appelle Diocese towers
- new 10-15 story office tower for Saskpower
- "New Development" on old Coronet site

I feel like I'm missing a lot. What needs to be added?
     
     
  #3378  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 10:38 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
^The whatever they are called condos on the corner of Regina Avenue and Elphinstone/Montague.
     
     
  #3379  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 10:59 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is online now
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^The whatever they are called condos on the corner of Regina Avenue and Elphinstone/Montague.
Terraces at River Heights!! Which by the way somehow fits into that tight space. I don't know how they did it....but they did it.

ReginaGuy, I'll have a listing for you in a minute here.
     
     
  #3380  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 11:00 PM
yorktonite yorktonite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Can someone think up a list of the all the projects in and around downtown Regina? Including Under-Construction, proposed, rumoured, etc..

I'm going to draw them all onto a nice map, but I know I'm forgetting some. Here's what I can think of off the top of my head..

U/C or soon to begin construction
- STC
- Wingate
- Victoria Place
- Old Superstore land
- IPSCO Place expansion
- Leader Building

Proposed
- Mosaic Stadium Expansion
- Qu'appelle Diocese towers
- new 10-15 story office tower for Saskpower
- "New Development" on old Coronet site

I feel like I'm missing a lot. What needs to be added?
I'm sure out of the loop but when was there a proposal for a new 10-15 story office tower for SaskPower or the Mosaic Stadium expansion? Any links to the proposals?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.