HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #401  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:09 PM
codeman9669's Avatar
codeman9669 codeman9669 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I really hope YEG gets more aggressive with expansion and attraction of carriers. We are doing AMAZING with #'s but need to seed our future grow here...and i just dont see it happening fast enough.
I couldnt agree more! We have been fighting for years to get airlines to notice us and view us an indepedant (of YYC) market. We finally start to make some head way, and then we shoot ourselves in the foot because we cant accomodate those airlines (well, at least at the time slots that they want. But let's be realistic, what airports dont have a majority of there service at the standard peak times - this is what we must build to accomodate...)
     
     
  #402  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:10 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
^ Exactly

And what bothers me is airlines who want to come in and bring in routes but are being held up by EIA and its issues.

I would be finding any way possible to accomodate them. Use those mobile people carriers if there are not enough gates. But get them in here and landing.

Because once they are here and see the potential of the airport they will hopefully look at more expansion of routes.
     
     
  #403  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:22 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I really hope YEG gets more aggressive with expansion and attraction of carriers. We are doing AMAZING with #'s but need to seed our future grow here...and i just dont see it happening fast enough.
But how can we claim that they aren't given that discussions with new carriers is extremely FOIP and that plans for the expansion have already been announced.

Don't get me wrong, YEG is experiencing some growth pains, these types of plans don't happen overnight.
     
     
  #404  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:24 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
^summer 07 has had basically zero announcements...thats why im complaining. We SHOULD have heard something.
     
     
  #405  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:26 PM
brento79
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I also think we are dealing with Airlines in the US that have a lack of aircraft/pilots.

Look at UAL and DL don't you think they would put main lines on the YEG route if they had the aircraft?
     
     
  #406  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 8:01 PM
LO 044's Avatar
LO 044 LO 044 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
I would be finding any way possible to accomodate them. Use those mobile people carriers if there are not enough gates. But get them in here and landing.

Because once they are here and see the potential of the airport they will hopefully look at more expansion of routes.
Couldn't agree more. Get some people movers from Montreal Mirabel or use a simple ETS bus. Even airports like Frankfurt use buses to ferry passengers to and from the terminal. I can understand this being a tougher sell in the winter time but walking from Gate 49 to an RJ isn't that appealing either. In fact the stairs from the aircraft are usually covered and then you hop on to a bus. I actually think this is better than the current Gate 49 system. Just charge the airline a smaller landing fee for not using air bridges at the terminal. Granted this would probably happen anyways but make it worth the airlines while.

YEG always seems to be 2 steps behind YYC. If we don't get the carriers or new routes now, or soon at least, we will be left out in the cold. This is boom time and we should be taking advantage of it. There is no Air Transat YEG-LGW route and no LTU YEG-DUS route according to someone on C2E. Yes passenger loads are up but let's keep the ball rolling.
     
     
  #407  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 8:19 PM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
^YEG-LGW is being operated by Zoom and Air Transat (confirmed),YEG-DUS was pulled before it started because....you guessed it,LTU aircraft shortage.Aeromexico charters are back in July (confirmed).Westjet will add some nice new flights before the end of the year (Confirmed).Westjet is planning more expansion for YEG as it has become the #3 hub for the airline and the second fastest growing market for the airline (behind YYC).North apron expansion is happening now for additional WestJet gates that will be in place by the fall.Got these right from the source,and well my boss...
     
     
  #408  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 8:34 PM
murman murman is offline
Dreaming in Colour
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
YEG always seems to be 2 steps behind YYC.
If by steps you meant decades, then I'm in total agreement with you.
     
     
  #409  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 8:52 PM
LO 044's Avatar
LO 044 LO 044 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,555
OK i guess the Air Tansat YEG-LGW flights exist. But wow, a June 27 start date for these flights? Pretty late start if you ask me. I'm curious how well they will do. Although these flights replace the My Travel flights from last year so perhaps there will be many tourists with vacation packages on these flights.

As for Edmonton being 2 decades behind Calgary. Maybe you're right. I'm curious what passenger numbers looked like 2 decades ago. The thinking seems to be 2 decades behind anyways.
     
     
  #410  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 9:53 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Exclamation AC 772LR Arrival and Departure Times+Flight Numbers

Hey YEG'ers, here are the arrival and departure times plus flight numbers for AC's 777-200LR showing up on Friday there:

Arrival:

Flight ACA7077/22Jun PAE1400 YEG1625

Departure:

Flight ACA7007/22Jun YEG2130 YWG0025

Enjoy!
     
     
  #411  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffyy View Post
^Westjet will add some nice new flights before the end of the year (Confirmed)

What is confirmed?? What is "nice"??? Nice to me means NON-STOP to new Trans Border and Euro destinations - that is nice. What is NOT nice is more flights to YYV or YVR or YYZ - this just allows people to trickle out of here to connect on other Westjet flights or other carriers in other cities - a nose bleed. If Westjet really wantw to win our hearts (and pocket book) in this Capital Region (while driving a spike through AC) they need to serve this YEG with NONSTOPS to US destinations - driving people away from YYZ and AC. Do they have the vision and or balls for that??
     
     
  #412  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
Edmonchuck's Avatar
Edmonchuck Edmonchuck is offline
why try anymore
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Posts: 3,314
probably not...they are CAI in WJ colors...
     
     
  #413  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 11:47 PM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
^When I say nice,I mean new destinations and 1 already exsisting U.S city.I cant say much as my boss frequents this forum but WestJet has had some meetings with EAA that show that they are very commited to their second fastest growing destination network wide.By the way we are also considered a WestJet hub,the #3 hub in the network.
     
     
  #414  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 12:19 AM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post

As for Edmonton being 2 decades behind Calgary. Maybe you're right. I'm curious what passenger numbers looked like 2 decades ago. The thinking seems to be 2 decades behind anyways.
I remember in '92 calgary pax was around 4.6 million - but lots of US and International flights
     
     
  #415  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 4:27 AM
brento79
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
97 they were right around 7mil. So Edmonton is about a decade behind. It isn't a catch up game really. YEG will not catch YYC just because that would cause a operation flaw for both AC and WS.
     
     
  #416  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 4:35 AM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
[QUOTE=tuffyy;By the way we are also considered a WestJet hub,the #3 hub in the network.[/QUOTE]

Oh gosh - 3rd most important "HUB" for Westjet - give me a break...Westjet is a hick of an airline. Cattle class service - one size fits all - with stupid unnessary and annoying dribble commentary and non-existant cabin service. If WJ ever comes of age and offers 1st and business class service with professional flight service - then being a 3rd HUB may mean something. Sorry if I am causing you any indigestion - but I am calling it as I see it - and yes I do travel extensively.
     
     
  #417  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 11:54 AM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
^I dont work for them,so no worries.So far though WestJet seems to be the only airline that has made any major increases for YEG.Reading elsewhere it sounds as though WestJet will add LAX soon in competition with AC,a few other new routes not already served will also be added from what we hear.
     
     
  #418  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 2:33 PM
ExcaliburKid's Avatar
ExcaliburKid ExcaliburKid is online now
Derp
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,227
*Cough* Orlando *Cough*
     
     
  #419  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 3:11 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Oh gosh - 3rd most important "HUB" for Westjet - give me a break...Westjet is a hick of an airline. Cattle class service - one size fits all - with stupid unnessary and annoying dribble commentary and non-existant cabin service. If WJ ever comes of age and offers 1st and business class service with professional flight service - then being a 3rd HUB may mean something. Sorry if I am causing you any indigestion - but I am calling it as I see it - and yes I do travel extensively.
Last time I travelled on Westjet I found their cabin service a little too loose. I think they carry the casual attitude a little too far at times. Otherwise I like Westjet but agree they need to provide a business class service - especially if they intend to do more south and vacation routes.
     
     
  #420  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 4:38 PM
Edmonchuck's Avatar
Edmonchuck Edmonchuck is offline
why try anymore
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Posts: 3,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Last time I travelled on Westjet I found their cabin service a little too loose. I think they carry the casual attitude a little too far at times. Otherwise I like Westjet but agree they need to provide a business class service - especially if they intend to do more south and vacation routes.
I would agree. WestJet is a fun little airline, but if they want to be a bigger contender, they'll have to be a bit more professional. Welcome to growing pains...
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.