HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2061  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:23 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is online now
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Very busy downtown today. I must say that those banners look great. So far they only appear to be on Broad Street. I think they'll look even better on the inner streets like Hamilton Street.

I also saw one of those city application signs at 14th and Hamilton next to that glass shop. Not sure exactly what's going on but it's a house that is apparently in commercial use and is being extended.
     
     
  #2062  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeep88 View Post
I too, am curious what the return of those ads are?

In Edmonton, I've seen the Saskatchewan advertisements in the LRT, buses, newspapers, and even large advertisement boards on Jasper ave.

It seems like an aggressive strategy.
Seems to be working. In the past 3 months, more people have moved from Alberta to Saskatchewan than the other way around.

That said, I took some awesome pics from around a very busy Regina today....I'll post em all later tonight.
     
     
  #2063  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 11:15 PM
adeep88 adeep88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Seems to be working. In the past 3 months, more people have moved from Alberta to Saskatchewan than the other way around.

That said, I took some awesome pics from around a very busy Regina today....I'll post em all later tonight.
Looking forward.

Home will always be home
     
     
  #2064  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:57 AM
Chaps Chaps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 825
Just saw on the news that the FNUC at the university will immediately begin construction of the glass teepee that will form the new entrance to the building. It's supposed to house a War Memorial.

Last edited by Chaps; Apr 26, 2007 at 5:10 AM.
     
     
  #2065  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 1:32 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
baseball stadium in downtown reginia no thats not geting ahead of your selfs thats a brilliant idea......... go for it
Yeah ... the Winnipeg one is amazing. Easily Ranked one of the best minor league ballparks anywhere. It has an amazing atmosphere!!! .. and great amenities.

It wasn't extremely expensive either... although the land was donated by the city and the costs were shared by private investment and the levels of government as well as thr Pan-Am games commitee(for the Pan-Am games). It has since been expanded, due to the very high demand as well as a very successful baseball team looking to make CanWest Global Park an even better experience for the fans. It now includes a restaurant which overlooks the field, which is open year round.


If Regina can find a large enough lot in the downtown area I would highly recoment it!! Both Saskatchewan cities belong in the Nothern League. Build a new stadium and find an owner and your on your way.

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 26, 2007 at 1:44 AM.
     
     
  #2066  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 2:02 AM
MadMax MadMax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Just heard through word of mouth. I believe it to be true, but only time will tell I suppose.
Looks like you might be right... the commercial real estate company, J.J. Barnicke, has removed the old Superstore property from it's website. Up until now they had been asking $10 million for it.
     
     
  #2067  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 2:48 AM
babo's Avatar
babo babo is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I don't like elevators.
Posts: 361
Being ignorant, is there even demand for a baseball stadium in Regina?
     
     
  #2068  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:03 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is online now
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Looks like you might be right... the commercial real estate company, J.J. Barnicke, has removed the old Superstore property from it's website. Up until now they had been asking $10 million for it.
Nice to be right once and a while!!

Really, $10M? I thought it was lower. That's a lot of money!
     
     
  #2069  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:07 AM
MadMax MadMax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 179
Finally a rendering for the old Army and Navy building... I think it looks good. It's called Broad Street Crossing and it's going to have underground parking as well as surface parking.

So far the tenants are the Federal Government (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) and Tim Hortons (good scoop Saskatchewanication )

I found it on the J.J. Barnicke website: http://www.jjb.com


     
     
  #2070  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:12 AM
yorktonite yorktonite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 189
Nice find MadMax, looks like it will turn out to be a nice project.
     
     
  #2071  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:25 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
Being ignorant, is there even demand for a baseball stadium in Regina?
You tell me ... there are 48 home games plus 3 exhibition plus any playoff games. The average attendance of the league is probibly near 5 to 6000 fans per game.

Winnipeg leads the league in attendance and often sells out the park.

There are some very successful teams in small cities such as the in Fargo, although there are also teams in Chicago, Kansas City, St.Paul, Edmonton and Calgary, among others.

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 26, 2007 at 4:01 AM.
     
     
  #2072  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:32 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,086
Imagine something along this nature in downtown Regina...








Last edited by newflyer; Apr 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM.
     
     
  #2073  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:47 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is online now
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Thanks for posting that MadMax.

Kinda bland looking, but I'm not going to be picky. I like the fact that the east side isn't just a solid wall and has windows. Won't make Broad Street look as barren as the old Army and Navy did.
     
     
  #2074  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:56 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Thanks for posting that MadMax.

Kinda bland looking, but I'm not going to be picky. I like the fact that the east side isn't just a solid wall and has windows. Won't make Broad Street look as barren as the old Army and Navy did.
At least its not just a Tim Hortons... its a Tim Hortons with a government office building connected to it.
     
     
  #2075  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 4:17 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is online now
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Looking at the PDF on the the website there, it has the Superstore with a tag "Proposed Fourplex Hockey Facility."

Hmm wonder which it's going to be....
     
     
  #2076  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 5:09 AM
Chaps Chaps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 825
Anyone know what's going at Broad and 11th...on the northeast corner? The NW corner is the Tim Hortons/Broad St Crossing...but directly across Broad St south of that ugly green antique shop, they have it fenced off and looks like some work being done there. It has a fence separating it from ther southern most point of the STC building, so I am assuming it's a separate project. Any ideas?
     
     
  #2077  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 5:12 AM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeep88 View Post
Looking forward.

Home will always be home
No problem...here ya go. Beautiful early spring day but I can't wait till everything turns green.





















































     
     
  #2078  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 5:18 AM
Chaps Chaps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 825
Thanks for the pics Migs....good stuff!

I keep meaning to take my camera to work cuz I work downtown, and some of the shots in the evening from the top of my parkade look like they could be great! Some day I WILL remember.
     
     
  #2079  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 5:18 AM
MadMax MadMax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Looking at the PDF on the the website there, it has the Superstore with a tag "Proposed Fourplex Hockey Facility."

Hmm wonder which it's going to be....
I'm assuming the hockey rink idea has been scrapped since I've seen that on other pics from that website for over a year now.

That was probably the plan up until Ipsco Place made their expansion announcement which includes a fourplex hockey facility.
     
     
  #2080  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 5:44 AM
MadMax MadMax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Anyone know what's going at Broad and 11th...on the northeast corner? The NW corner is the Tim Hortons/Broad St Crossing...but directly across Broad St south of that ugly green antique shop, they have it fenced off and looks like some work being done there. It has a fence separating it from ther southern most point of the STC building, so I am assuming it's a separate project. Any ideas?
Looking at the original plans, it's going to be a parking lot for the new bus depot.

Thanks for the pics Migs!

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:11 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.