HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #24401  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2026, 9:27 PM
ChiDevelopmentGooner ChiDevelopmentGooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstange059 View Post
I think there is likely a negative percent chance that this will happen, but I thought I’d post it because why not.

I was randomly recommended this video by some organization proposing rebuilding the twin towers, which would be located in the area approximately bounded by Polk, Canal, Taylor and Desplaines. They have a 110 page document going into detail about their proposal, which shows that they clearly must be dedicated to their proposal, but I’ve found no signs of evidence showing that they actually have the qualifications to pull off such a massive project. Once again, I think there is absolutely no chance that this will happen, but why not share?
https://www.worldtechcenter.org/
Interesting, but very odd. Not sure how they would build this over two city blocks of sub stations. Also think we already have a WTC tribute with Aon tower
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24402  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2026, 2:54 PM
Chisouthside Chisouthside is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley/Chicago
Posts: 559
Saw that nike is leaving it's currently location on michigan avenue and moving a couple blocks south. Wonder if that's a precursor for the development of the proposed tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24403  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2026, 6:37 PM
nomarandlee's Avatar
nomarandlee nomarandlee is offline
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeboy17 View Post
1% chance this happens but I do find it fascinating and obviously hope it comes to fruition but I can already hear the “ This is too painful to replicate”
“ Your just inviting another attack” and “ Why the hell is it in Chicago?”
Thanks for posting it Jstange.
With good reason. There are numerous reasons why most sensible people wouldn't want this here, first and foremost...

In their own time, it is fair to say that the WTC were largely not beloved by architecture critics.

Let the towers RIP. Let their silhouette and features unique to them be their own. One would try to mimic them because why? It is akin to getting your favorite pet cloned. You think you're honoring them, but you're really just making a sad replacement that says more about you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24404  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2026, 7:00 PM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,970
I am all for some sort of skyscraper national laboratory project in the South Loop, but why rehash a dated 1970s design? Especially one that has nothing to do with Chicago at all.

If this is anywhere near being a serious proposal, the design needs to go back to the drawing board.
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." -Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24405  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2026, 8:31 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 7,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamy-developer View Post
This is getting ready to break ground - if not already under construction - as there are caisson liners and foundation drilling equipment on site. . .

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24406  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2026, 9:18 PM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Saw that nike is leaving it's currently location on michigan avenue and moving a couple blocks south. Wonder if that's a precursor for the development of the proposed tower.
Levi’s is replacing them so it’s unlikely.
__________________
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24407  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2026, 10:01 PM
MorganChi's Avatar
MorganChi MorganChi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Levi’s is replacing them so it’s unlikely.
Where did you get this info ?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24408  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2026, 10:42 PM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,173
Technically next door but still part of the project footprint.

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2026/04/15/levi-moves-nike-shuffles-in-new-chicago-mag-mile-era/
__________________
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24409  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2026, 8:56 PM
Jstange059's Avatar
Jstange059 Jstange059 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Chicago
Posts: 544
400 N Elizabeth



Seems like some of the geothermal wells are currently being dug. No crane yet though
__________________
@that-person.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24410  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2026, 9:15 PM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,173
I’d imagine whatever is proposed here will be a pretty substantial development.

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2026/09/28/mavrek-development-pays-17m-for-fulton-market-site/
__________________
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24411  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2026, 4:06 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 17,001
Surprising that citizenM doesn't want to put a hotel there anymore. Honestly surprised we aren't seeing more hotels in general.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24412  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2026, 12:27 AM
Planeboy17 Planeboy17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Surprising that citizenM doesn't want to put a hotel there anymore. Honestly surprised we aren't seeing more hotels in general.
Purely anecdotal but I just tried to use Hilton points for a Kenny Chesney SF concert in June and the Palmer House, the Hilton on Michigan and another Hilton property in the South Loop and some others that are already sold out.
Nothing else big that I could find happening that weekend, maybe a convention that I didn’t see.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24413  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2026, 1:27 AM
Toasty Joe Toasty Joe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago, IL
Posts: 517
We really do need more hotel development. Also anecdotal but my friend came into town two weekends ago for a wedding and was commenting how all the hotels downtown were nearly booked. It was Bears' home opener that likely contributed but I was surprised we're apparently so low on hotel rooms
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24414  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2026, 3:04 AM
clark wellington clark wellington is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 45
Funny to see Washington and Peoria referred to as "Fulton Market" - I guess it's just that hot as a neighborhood brand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24415  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2026, 3:52 AM
Jstange059's Avatar
Jstange059 Jstange059 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Chicago
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark wellington View Post
Funny to see Washington and Peoria referred to as "Fulton Market" - I guess it's just that hot as a neighborhood brand.
Neighborhood boundaries seem to have little to no actual meaning to real estate. In my opinion, anything south of Randolph is definitively not Fulton Market, but I guess it is better marketing to call it Fulton Market, though I feel that West Loop has a perfectly good brand.
__________________
@that-person.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24416  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2026, 3:26 PM
dreamy-developer's Avatar
dreamy-developer dreamy-developer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstange059 View Post
Neighborhood boundaries seem to have little to no actual meaning to real estate.
I would agree, you can find this endlessly in what is defined as River North, Old Town, and Gold Coast - it's mainly all marketing to a certain audience or association with a particular neighborhood you're trying to appeal to
__________________
All I want are bus lanes on Michigan Ave
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24417  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2026, 3:16 PM
VKChaz VKChaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: California
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamy-developer View Post
I would agree, you can find this endlessly in what is defined as River North, Old Town, and Gold Coast - it's mainly all marketing to a certain audience or association with a particular neighborhood you're trying to appeal to
The neighborhoods evolve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neighborhoods_in_Chicago

But the community areas should be mostly static

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_areas_of_Chicago#
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24418  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2026, 11:02 PM
mh777 mh777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: River North
Posts: 259
Sounds like 170 n may is starting soon, at least according to a Trib article on 400 LSD today.

Quote:
LG Group Managing Partner Matt Wilke said the company will soon start construction in Fulton Market on 170 N. May St., a 322-unit high-rise with a Trader Joe’s grocery store on the ground floor.
But then caveats it with
Quote:
But Wilke also sounded a more cautious note. He said in the last week some potential investors seemed increasingly worried about higher inflation and oil prices, along with a recent jump in borrowing costs, and those fears could delay some of LG Group’s unannounced projects.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24419  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:36 AM
Jstange059's Avatar
Jstange059 Jstange059 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Chicago
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
Sounds like 170 n may is starting soon, at least according to a Trib article on 400 LSD today.



But then caveats it with
I mean I can't really be upset on unanounced projects being delayed because I don't know what I would be missing out on. Out of pure speculation, I would guess that this may refer to a development just north of this one on the north side of Lake between May and Racine, but I have no evidence for this pure speculation whatsoever.

I remember hearing in a community meeting back in summer or fall of I believe 2024 that they would be starting Q1 the next year, but that time passed by without any updates timeline. I'm so glad to hear that this project seems to be back on track, having a grocery store right in Fulton Market would be so beneficial to all the residents of the neighborhood, and besides, who doesn't love a Trader Joe's?
__________________
@that-person.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24420  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:45 AM
Jstange059's Avatar
Jstange059 Jstange059 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Chicago
Posts: 544
Julep West Loop(1016 W Jackson)

Speaking of grocery stores in the West Loop/Fulton Market area, caissons are being dug for the Julep West Loop, which of course will contain an Aldi



Additionally, the building’s neighbor is currently being demolished (which I am admittedly a bit sad about because I sort of liked the building. It was in bad shape though). Anyone know if there’s any developments planned to replace this building?
__________________
@that-person.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.