HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #641  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2026, 3:29 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.
Here's an intriguing one!


"FELIX BODY SHOP LOS ANGELES AUTOMOBILE SERVICE STATION 1977"



eBay / John Margolis


note how the blade sign was placed directly over one of the cartouches.


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 4, 2026 at 6:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #642  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2026, 3:39 PM
bighen bighen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 39
Mystery Gas Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post


I think you're right, Hoss. Thanks.



I just located a second photograph of the scalloped awning Union gas station.



eBay

Compare it to the first photograph HERE



.
I'm taking a wild guess but this looks like a gas station on Sawtelle near the Fujimoto station
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #643  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2026, 3:45 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.
Hmm. .could be, bighen...Thanks for your input, buddy.



Does anyone remember this colorful tower constructed for the 1984 Olympics?


"Vintage 35mm Photo Slide 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Athletic Park TOWER"


eBay

I'm surprised I don't remember it.


.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #644  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2026, 4:12 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 710
I attended those Olympics in LA... twice, actually. But the intervening years seem to have erased any memory of that tower...

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #645  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2026, 4:20 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725


What events did you see, Scott Charles?

I remember a lot of those kinds of colorful structures around each sporting venue in the city. I believe this one was in Exposition Park. As of yesterday, there are lots of people in L.A. hoping to get a presale "ticket drop" the next few days for L.A. area residents to order some event tickets for the next Olympics!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #646  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 1:56 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 710
It was so long ago, Martin Pal, my memory is failing me a bit... but I saw some kind of diving with my girlfriend. I think it was high diving, but I can't remember whether it was mens or womens.

The other event I saw was boxing - I attended that event by myself. I was a somewhat-new boxing fan, but I lucked out into seeing what many call “the greatest Olympic boxing team ever”.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #647  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 3:28 PM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
Here's an intriguing one!


"FELIX BODY SHOP LOS ANGELES AUTOMOBILE SERVICE STATION 1977"



eBay / John Margolis


note how the blade sign was placed directly over one of the cartouches.


.
Intriguing indeed!

This 1971 FrameFinder aerial shows the Felix Chevrolet complex which has been altered significantly. I believe the building with the red X is the most likely candidate for the body shop. It sat very close to the sidewalk on Flower Street. A very large multi story structure with rooftop parking now occupies that entire corner of the lot.


https://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/

Last edited by Bristolian; Apr 4, 2026 at 4:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #648  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 3:43 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
Thanks, Scott Charles!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #649  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 4:13 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,652
Photo captioned the Trust Building, which I find in an ad for contractor Thos. Foulkes in the 1904 book Our Architecture [...] (link to book below):


https://books.google.com/books?id=AFRDAQ...IHVAeL2MQ6AF6BAgFEAM#v=onepage&q&f=false, in the unnumbered ad pages at the back

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #650  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 6:23 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Intriguing indeed!

This 1971 FrameFinder aerial shows the Felix Chevrolet complex which has been altered significantly. I believe the building with the red X is the most likely candidate for the body shop. It sat very close to the sidewalk on Flower Street. A very large multi story structure with rooftop parking now occupies that entire corner of the lot.


https://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/


Alright. .alright. .alright!



You found it, Bristolian. ..

.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #651  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 6:45 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.
Here are some more 1984 Olympic decorations.


I almost like these giant diagonal banners more than the recently seen tower.



eBay

The banners were hung in front of the Anaheim Center. ..(per the sign in the snapshot)


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 4, 2026 at 6:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #652  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 7:25 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.
Here's a good (if a bit dark) of the renowned Bradbury Building in 1894.



e_r old file

Of course the real treasure is inside.

.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #653  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 7:28 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.
I'm not sure if we have seen this Greg Lilly photograph on NLA so I decided to post it anyway.



e_r old file

Somewhere downtown.


.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #654  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 7:44 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,724


You posted it here last July, e_r.

As per my previous reply, Sassony Arcade was located at 724 S Broadway until it closed in October 2014. You can still see the signage above on old GSV images.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #655  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 8:30 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,652


They were keeping things strictly legal...


LA Times, 5/11/1997

Nowadays...


gsv
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #656  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 8:58 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post


You posted it here last July, e_r.

As per my previous reply, Sassony Arcade was located at 724 S Broadway until it closed in October 2014. You can still see the signage above on old GSV images.

It's good to see that the building has almost been completely rennovated....(you beat me to it, odinthor )


GSV


.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #657  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 9:05 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.


Currently on eBay



Here's a closer look.


eBay

What hotel is that on the corner? (with the blade sign)

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 4, 2026 at 9:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #658  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 9:12 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.

I should probably know this house but I can't place it.

The man casually walking to his car makes me think it's an amateur snapshot.



old e_r 'mysteries' file





Go forth my wonderful noirish minions!
.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #659  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 9:44 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,724


From Facebook:

"1950s - The three-story Queen Anne-style house of Charles Capen, built in 1891 and known as the "White Castle," stood at 818 West Adams Boulevard. It remained a landmark for 65 years before being demolished in 1956 to make way for a parking lot."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #660  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2026, 10:34 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,027
.
The dreaded words. . . .

'Demolished for a parking lot.'



.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.