If they're hurting that bad, the provincial government or federal government could probably get the building for a steal. I think it could be considered a near stranded asset at this point. The current office tenants of this 19 storey building could probably comfortably occupy no more than 5 or 6 floors. However, if the government purchased the building, built it up to its 36 storey designed potential, and kept even 10 storeys reserved for commercial/retail use, that could mean 26 storeys of residential with around 150 units or more.
If the government bought it, I'm sure they'd have no problem filling up ten floors of offices. Actually, what would be really ideal is if the province and feds could work out a deal to move the entirety of their government offices within 1 Agar Place into offices at Brunswick Square, then
tear that monstrosity down on top of hospital hill, and come up with a plan (and possibly work with private partners) to get a mixed use high rise development built in its place... but i'll try and keep the focus on Brunswick Square here.
Brunswick Square Office Tower | Property Tax Assessment
Like, what buyer in their right mind would buy Brunswick Square Office Tower in its current state and occupancy rate for anywhere near the $57 million it was sold for in 2015? There's clearly not enough office space clients in Saint John at the moment to fill this place up, and it's not like there's any huge companies moving to SJ to fill up the building. I doubt the REIT is even making enough in rent to cover their artificially low property tax bill each year.
Also, gotta love how large the discrepancy is between the last sale price $57 million (when Uptown property values were much lower than they are today) and the current assessed value of $17 million. I don't think the REIT should get off easy with such a low assessment on the building, just because they 🞵🞵🞵🞵 at running an office tower, and the SNB tax assessment system is critically flawed. It's the co-tallest building in New Brunswick in the heart of Uptown Saint John, but it remains of the most dismal places in all of Uptown.
It was built
way before my time here, but I assume the Brunswick Square office tower did have some government funding when it was originally built, as I think it hosted the offices for the NB Tel Crown Corp?
Again, I'm no economist, but I don't think it's too far off to consider the Brunswick Square Office tower a stranded asset at this point. I see government as a more suitable buyer for the property than a private developer, especially since there would be potential for residential conversion, and even upwards expansion. Private developers would probably not be willing to take on the risk and upfront cost of such a project in a smaller city like Saint John, but the provincial government is well suited to take on the challenge and risk. The Province of NB have something to prove on the housing front, while private developers don't have anything to prove, just profits to be made.
Expanding it to 30+ storeys might be a bit pie in the sky (literally) but it's the type of pie in the sky idea that could
actually work, and the building
was engineered to support 36 storeys. I don't think any of us want to see Uptown's signature tower floundering for another decade, but without an ambitious plan, how will it not?