Quote:
Originally Posted by dougvdh
It absolutely will have impact. There's the inevitable traffic you note. There's noise impacts - the corridor is quite close to an elementary school, lots of residential, a hospital. There's a huge increase in air pollution (CO, NOx, and microparticles). There's the division of school catchment areas, loss of recreational space. It will further evidence the development potential of the Cyrville Station TOD (and high density tax base potential). It impact negatively will Monfort hospital operations.
|
This seems a bit over the top. It is certainly negative for the whole east side in terms of traffic but mostly it's moving traffic. It will absolutely induce demand though as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack
I actually don't have that much skin in this game though I've always found it weird that (some) Ottawa(ns) would prefer to allow the aberration of so much heavy truck traffic on standard downtown neighbourhood streets to continue indefinitely, simply because an alternative solution would allow some Gatineau commuters an easier commute and some more development on the north side of the river.
Talk about really wanting to stick it to "The Man" (or maybe "L'Homme) at any cost.
|
If the Feds pay for it all I think opposing it on a city-wide basis is a bit of what you are saying as I think the harm to a few areas are balanced by the reduction in traffic in more central areas. It won't remove trucks but will reduce volume and makes moving around Rideau and King Edward a little easier.
The other thing is it would lower our tax base if we care about such things these are new or maintained anglophone and federalists to the Quebec side which makes the Laurentian crowd happy but does ultimately cities compete for residents and this hurts Ottawa's position.
Finally even if the Feds pay for it that is funds that would be better spent elsewhere in the region and will make the next thing we ask for harder to get.
I say all this as someone lives near King Edward so wouldn't mind less trucks and who gets stuck in afternoon traffic headed to Gatineau.
Unless we close the MC bridge entirely I don't see it making a huge difference it is a highway of traffic either wa