HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutroniks View Post
Haha, I definitely agree. I was thinking more along the lines of bakeries, cafes and ice cream shops, thrift stores that stay open a little later (a la Corydon). Le Croissant is probably my favourite spot in St. B and its open later into the evening, but it's tucked all the way down Tache (nothing wrong with that, as NOLA, Bar Accanto and Pauline's are all in it's vicinity, but would look amazing being open on Provoncher.)
St B has a lot of potential, some nudges in the right direction would make it a jewel of the city, heck even the West if they can somehow really lean into the Francophone capital of the West and birthplace of an actual ethnic group aspect of St B. It's a real historic and cultural gem in the Canadian story.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:44 PM

Belgian Club on Provencher was bumpin' Saturday night! (I was there haha)

Provencher is an odd stirp. Huge potential with basically only daytime neighbourhood services. I think the bar closed and was bought by someone else. haven't been there in a while. The rest of the strip is blah. I heard from relatives on Saturday that the Bee is basically dead all the time. Night life in St. B Just doesn't seem to be a thing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Belgian Club on Provencher was bumpin' Saturday night! (I was there haha)

Provencher is an odd stirp. Huge potential with basically only daytime neighbourhood services. I think the bar closed and was bought by someone else. haven't been there in a while. The rest of the strip is blah. I heard from relatives on Saturday that the Bee is basically dead all the time. Night life in St. B Just doesn't seem to be a thing.
At least the Franco bar is still there - super fun

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:00 PM

I wonder why Winnipeg doesnt have any smaller boutique hotels in some of our more walkable and urban neighbourhoods. Thinking Osborne, or Corydon, Provencher, etc.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
I wonder why Winnipeg doesnt have any smaller boutique hotels in some of our more walkable and urban neighbourhoods. Thinking Osborne, or Corydon, Provencher, etc.
If I had money to blow that's exactly what I'd do with the Woodbine, gut it, clean up and make the bar nice and have it as a boutique hotel and a youth hostel.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
If I had money to blow that's exactly what I'd do with the Woodbine, gut it, clean up and make the bar nice and have it as a boutique hotel and a youth hostel.
Stayed at a very nice and modern boutique hotel in the US called Little Charlie's that you self check yourself into (There's still a 24 hour concierge), and it was affordable, clean, easy, and very comfortable. It was about the same size as the Woodbine and it was the first place I thought of when I came back to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
My unresearched guess is that Winnipeg doesn't draw enough tourists to warrant it on their own, and business travellers prefer in aggregate to be closer to their destinations at the convention centre or downtown office towers.

That being said, the Mere exists.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
My unresearched guess is that Winnipeg doesn't draw enough tourists to warrant it on their own, and business travellers prefer in aggregate to be closer to their destinations at the convention centre or downtown office towers.

And hopefully the Winnipeg Hotel sometime in the nearish future. Haven't seen a lot of action in that project though.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:43 PM

All good points. A look at Airbnb too shows a good number of whole house options in those neighborhoods for tourists.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:10 PM

Filled in that hole nicely. Nice addition to the street.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

Damn that felt like it flew up

Old Posted Today, 2:45 AM

starbucks going in on the main floor of the office building across tache from the hospital. walk-up only location too.. interesting development!

Old Posted Today, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post

And The Marriagi Hotel also.

Old Posted Today, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
And hopefully the Winnipeg Hotel sometime in the nearish future. Haven't seen a lot of action in that project though.
It is happening.
But then again so is Sutton Place. lol
I would like to see Royal ALbert Arms & also St Charles become boutique hotels but not likely given who owns them.

Old Posted Today, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
starbucks going in on the main floor of the office building across tache from the hospital. walk-up only location too.. interesting development!
Nice. I wish the parkade/office development next door would re-surface. Help fill in the void.

Old Posted Today, 4:21 PM

it would make sense for the surface lots around there to get re-examined since the emergency room expansion is nearing completion. the traffic lane and sidewalk in front of the site finally re-opened!

Old Posted Today, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
And The Marriagi Hotel also.
the mariaggi as a place for business travellers to stay? really? that place has such weird vibes, i can't imagine booking it for a work trip

Old Posted Today, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
the mariaggi as a place for business travellers to stay? really? that place has such weird vibes, i can't imagine booking it for a work trip
Oh I'm sure it gets used for work trips all the time - those businessmen get lonely you know.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan