HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Likewise we could start calling Vancouver as Vancouver-Surrey, but no one outside of Canada is going to use the “Surrey” part.
The difference being Surrey is an overgrown suburban bedroom community just 13 miles from Downtown Vancouver. Would Surrey even exist as it is without Vancouver? Fort Worth is, and always has been, its own city, with its own suburbs, 30 miles from Downtown Dallas.

There's a reason Dallas-Fort Worth is called "Metroplex." The definition of "metroplex" being "a conurbation with more than one principal anchor city of near equal importance."

You'll have to excuse my bristling at Dallas being given more credit than its true size deserves. <--- (The true reason for my rant.)

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Now the above are some fascinating complaints.

But I hate to be the one to say this, outside of the USA Dallas-Fort Worth is 99% of the time referred to as……. Dallas. In Canada you grow up hearing about the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, etc… On maps is Houston and Dallas often shown for Texas.

Here in Japan if I say Dallas, there is a good chance people know where I’m talking about, if I say “Fort Worth” it will be a blank stare.

So, I’m sorry, internationally Dallas-Forth Worth is almost always referred to simply as Dallas.

Likewise we could start calling Vancouver as Vancouver-Surrey, but no one outside of Canada is going to use the “Surrey” part.

Same with Seattle-Tacoma. Internationally it’s Seattle.

i hate to be the one to break it to you, but its the same across the usa too.

this is a forum of urbanist geeks remember.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Fort Worth is big because it annexed a lot of suburban areas around it. I still think the Dallas side of the metroplex is a lot bigger. The two cities are so glued together by sprawl its' hard to tell where one's influence ends and the other begins. DFW genuinely is one unit despite starting out as a pair of separate cities that were a bit too far apart to be classical twin cities a la Minneapolis-St. Paul.

There's a joke/meme on Reddit and around social media about clueless people calling either Dallas or Fort Worth "Downtown DFW" but there's some kernel of truth to the fact that the airport is the geographic center of the metro area.
that seems about right to me, that the dfw barycenter is around the no mans land sprawl at the airport.

minneapolis-st paul barycenter would probably be in eastern minny maybe around um i guess?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions