HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Birmingham has one that's technically still under construction. But, I bet it's finished before there's another update. :/
Let me know what it is so I can add it in!

And btw if the data on the SSP database (which I used for Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa and Vancouver - I checked all other cities by hand) is out of date and you want to correct it you can let me know what the actual number should be (preferably with a list).

I have a version with known errors fixed on a comment on my post on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyscrapers...t=share_button

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 3:58 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinAWestLife View Post
I checked all other cities by hand) is out of date ....
Compiling data like this and producing a graphic is always challenging but your work is much appreciated. Hopefully, people will help by contributing useful vetted data. It will be hard to get it 100% correct but it does give one a good approximation of US/Canada high-rise construction.

Halifax is a surprise and it's odd seeing Calgary/Edmonton numbers below it.

Last edited by isaidso; Jul 25, 2024 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 4:15 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
LivinAWestLife: Compiling data like this and producing a graphic is always challenging but your workis much appreciated. Hopefully, people will help by contributing useful vetted data. It will be hard to get it 100% correct but it does give one a good approximation of US/Canada high-rise construction.

Halifax is a surprise and it's odd seeing Calgary/Edmonton numbers below it.
I'm not terribly surprised that we're ahead of Calgary and Edmonton but being ahead of Seattle and Chicago is kind of interesting.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 4:36 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I'm not terribly surprised that we're ahead of Calgary and Edmonton but being ahead of Seattle and Chicago is kind of interesting.
Halifax almost made that Top 10 list.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:13 AM
Future God

Quote:

And btw if the data on the SSP database (which I used for Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa and Vancouver - I checked all other cities by hand) is out of date and you want to correct it you can let me know what the actual number should be (preferably with a list).

Incredible map! Thanks for all your hard work! Just a quick note for Memphis, they have three over ten stories U/C. Nothing crazy, but two twin 15 story towers at St. Jude Research Hospital, and a 20 story Grand Hyatt Hotel.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:20 AM

I think this is the updated map. For its size Kelowna is a monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck94 View Post
According to a recent post on Reddit, Kelowna has the highest number of high rises per capita (10 stories or more) under construction across Canada and the USA!
(per capita is listed bottom right)

It's not perfect, the poster has already made several corrections (including to the Kelowna) stat. Regardless, this is a very good indicator of the incredible development happening in Kelowna, especially for its size.

Updated Map as of the time of this post

Full credit to u/LivinAWestLife on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyscrapers...ty_have_under/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Incredible map! Thanks for all your hard work! Just a quick note for Memphis, they have three over ten stories U/C. Nothing crazy, but two twin 15 story towers at St. Jude Research Hospital, and a 20 story Grand Hyatt Hotel.
Thank you! I've added the St. Jude towers to my map already but I can't find news online that the Grand Hyatt has broken ground. If you're sure it is I'll put it in.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 3:58 PM
Future God

Quote:
Thank you! I've added the St. Jude towers to my map already but I can't find news online that the Grand Hyatt has broken ground. If you're sure it is I'll put it in.
My apologies! You are absolutely correct, it appears. I stupidly just went with the wiki page on Memphis highrises, but I can't find any information about it starting construction either. Sorry for the distraction!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:

Is the SSP database your source? If so, then it definitely wildly undercounts NYC. I spot checked for a few +15 floor buildings that I know to be under construction and I do not see them in the database.

I doubt there's any good publicly available repository of buildings in construction below 20 stories in NYC because there are so many.

Last edited by iheartthed; Jul 25, 2024 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 4:27 PM
I am the law!

US cities are not universally maintained in the SSP database as are Canadian cities. Regardless, SSP is definitely not the source for all. There's huge disparities between these figures and the ones in the database for many Canadian cities.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 7:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Halifax has a lot of apartments (large % of all new construction) and a lot of the suburban apartments are 10-12 storey buildings. I would guess that 22 is an undercount. From a planning perspective I wonder if it is really so good that there are few houses being built, and there's no fundamental reason why they can't be built around metro Halifax, but it does result in lots of highrises.

Halifax is almost a "bimodal" city in that there's a core with congestion where density is encouraged and then there are outer areas like Hants County that have effectively infinite land but are inconvenient to get to. It's not unlike Vancouver's geography, but with a big supply of low value land (the equivalent of North Van mountains are developable hilly woodlands outside Halifax).

The municipality increased zoning in some areas to 40 storeys (with a FAR limit as well I believe) and there was some discussion of trying to remove height limit pressure which encouraged low ceiling heights so developers could pack in more floor area. There are some 40 storey residential developments in the site prep phase and I wonder if those could hit 150 m.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:10 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

It's the UAB Spain Rehabilitation Center, 11 floors. Completion is expected in 2025. LINK Thanks!

The previous Spain Rehab Center is actually where I got sober. So this one's special for me

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Nice work. Wilmington, DE should be added on the map for 2 if were putting so many zeros on there. It's the largest city in Delaware and has a much better skyline than many places listed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Nice work. Wilmington, DE should be added on the map for 2 if were putting so many zeros on there. It's the largest city in Delaware and has a much better skyline than many places listed.
They’re included as part of Philadelphia as Wilmington is in the Philly MSA.

Last edited by LivinAWestLife; Yesterday at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Quote:
They’re included as part of Philadelphia as Delaware is in the Philly MSA.
Okay, the whole map makes a bit more sense to me now knowing it's by metro area. Thanks!

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:27 PM

The people of Fort Worth would like to have a word with the creator of this map. A word, no doubt, that I can't repeat on this forum.

Fun fact: As of May 2024, data indicate Fort Worth's population is just 1414 less than that of Austin while its growth far outpaces that
of Austin proper (meaning Fort Worth may have already overtaken Austin as the state's 4th largest city).

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...b-0059286d4581

This is not at all meant as a dig at Austin. It's simply to show how ridiculous it is to refer to Dallas-Fort Worth as simply "Dallas."

Last edited by bilbao58; Yesterday at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:41 PM

The lack of construction in California cities is utterly pitiful.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:37 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post

The people of Fort Worth would like to have a word with the creator of this map. A word, no doubt, that I can't repeat on this forum.

Fun fact: As of May 2024, data indicate Fort Worth's population is just 1414 less than that of Austin while its growth far outpaces that
of Austin proper (meaning Fort Worth may have already overtaken Austin as the state's 4th largest city).

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...b-0059286d4581

This is not at all meant as a dig at Austin. It's simply to show how ridiculous it is to refer to Dallas-Fort Worth as simply "Dallas."
The Fort Worth Metro Division is also substantially larger than either the San Antonio or Austin Metro Areas.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Today, 3:27 AM

Now the above are some fascinating complaints.

But I hate to be the one to say this, outside of the USA Dallas-Fort Worth is 99% of the time referred to as……. Dallas. In Canada you grow up hearing about the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, etc… On maps is Houston and Dallas often shown for Texas.

Here in Japan if I say Dallas, there is a good chance people know where I’m talking about, if I say “Fort Worth” it will be a blank stare.

So, I’m sorry, internationally Dallas-Forth Worth is almost always referred to simply as Dallas.

Likewise we could start calling Vancouver as Vancouver-Surrey, but no one outside of Canada is going to use the “Surrey” part.

Same with Seattle-Tacoma. Internationally it’s Seattle.

Old Posted Today, 4:00 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Fort Worth is big because it annexed a lot of suburban areas around it. I still think the Dallas side of the metroplex is a lot bigger. The two cities are so glued together by sprawl its' hard to tell where one's influence ends and the other begins. DFW genuinely is one unit despite starting out as a pair of separate cities that were a bit too far apart to be classical twin cities a la Minneapolis-St. Paul.

There's a joke/meme on Reddit and around social media about clueless people calling either Dallas or Fort Worth "Downtown DFW" but there's some kernel of truth to the fact that the airport is the geographic center of the metro area.

Another fun comparison I discovered - greater Dallas-Fort Worth and the far flung suburbs has approximately the same population and covers the same land area as all the cities in Northeast England if you classified them as a single metro area. By that I mean how Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield are really just right next to each other. Except that for historical reasons and differences in how cities are built over there there is a lot of empty green space in between. I think all of Northern England including Yorkshire is a lot bigger in population though, more like Southern California.

Last edited by llamaorama; Today at 4:11 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions