HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 4:15 PM

It's impressive that with a bus like the R5 it would be 11 minutes faster if we just had an all-day dedicated lane and nothing else.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Broccoli head - easy to guess what generation he was from.
I'll need some help here. I googled it and all I could see was that the moniker applied to vegans or people with poofy hairdos paired with whitewalls.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I'll need some help here. I googled it and all I could see was that the moniker applied to vegans or people with poofy hairdos paired with whitewalls.
Here's a hint: Google "Broccoli head Gen Z" instead.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Broccoli Head is a hairstyle popular among Gen Z folks. Curly hair on top with the sides shaved.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Broccoli Head is a hairstyle popular among Gen Z folks. Curly hair on top with the sides shaved.
Paired with a crossbody satchel/fanny pack, baggy white t-shirt, and a vape. fr no cap

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 6:34 PM

It's not safe to hold your cellphone to your head now that the antenna is integrated, AirPods or EarPods would solve the issue,

As for FaceTime I am legally blind I need to FaceTime for help when I am shopping.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 6:46 PM

I remember seeing in the past couple week either search or something with a picture or video of a Mark III gangway that had the floor under the gangway exposed. I think this was on a derailed train. Now I can't find it at all.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
I remember seeing in the past couple week either search or something with a picture or video of a Mark III gangway that had the floor under the gangway exposed. I think this was on a derailed train. Now I can't find it at all.
I did a google and saw results on top for the 2022 Scott Road derailment

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 1:12 AM

https://twitter.com/iamkennethchan/s...76086559322337

"BC Conservative leader John Rustad says his party would audit #TransLink, end big operating subsidies & create a new funding model."

Sounds like transit in the lower mainland will be totally screwed if the Conservatives win the election in the fall, not that that is a surprise, I guess. Maybe he can promise a referendum on whether we should have a functioning transit system or not...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 1:18 AM

"New funding model" isn't a very subtle way to say "defund".

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 1:43 AM

Do you think he knows that the province barely funds Translink at all? It's almost all revenue generated within Metro Vancouver (fares + property tax + gas tax + parking tax + DCCs); I believe for the most part any provincial funding mostly goes towards infrastructure capital as well.

It's an interesting populist talking point I guess.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 2:10 AM

He'll rename it to SurreyLink

Quote:
A Conservative Solution: Getting TransLink Back on Track

John Rustad and the Conservative Party of British Columbia propose a clear plan to rescue TransLink and ensure a reliable, affordable, and sustainable public transit system:

TransLink Accountability Audit: Immediately open the books and conduct a comprehensive audit to provide transparency on how taxpayer dollars are being spent.
Address Overcrowded Routes: Review and address overcrowded bus routes, starting with Surrey, home to the five most overcrowded routes in the system.
Stop-Gap Funding and Long-Term Plan: Provide two years of stop-gap funding to develop a “Back-on-Track Plan,” a sustainable funding model addressing financial mismanagement, overcrowding, and capacity issues.
Accelerate Key Projects: Expedite the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain project, ensuring timely delivery.
Fair Share of Federal Funding: Work with the federal government to secure BC’s fair share of federal transit funding.
Surrey Residents: Paying the Price for NDP’s Failures

The residents of Surrey have borne the brunt of TransLink’s financial mismanagement. Overcrowded bus routes and delayed projects are unacceptable. The NDP’s inability to deliver on promises is evident. Despite promising the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain project in October 2020, construction only began in late June 2024, with major work delayed until late 2024. Moreover, TransLink executives reversed their pay cuts once provincial bailouts were secured, despite public declarations to the contrary. This lack of accountability and respect for taxpayers is unacceptable.

NDP’s Track Record: Failing to Deliver for Metro Vancouver

“Eby’s government has failed to deliver on their promises, leaving transit riders stranded and frustrated,” said John Rustad. “The NDP is throwing billions at TransLink while everyday, hard working people in Surrey and North Vancouver are watching 2 or 3 full buses pass them during rush hour. Hardworking people deserve transit they can rely on. It’s time to end the boondoggle and get TransLink back on track”.

The Conservative Party of British Columbia is committed to delivering a reliable, affordable, and sustainable public transit system for Metro Vancouver residents, especially those in Surrey who have been let down for too long.
https://www.conservativebc.ca/john_r...r%20too%20long.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Do you think he knows that the province barely funds Translink at all? It's almost all revenue generated within Metro Vancouver (fares + property tax + gas tax + parking tax + DCCs); I believe for the most part any provincial funding mostly goes towards infrastructure capital as well.

It's an interesting populist talking point I guess.
He's presumably referencing the $322m the province gave TransLink in the fall of 2020, another $88m in spring 2022 and $479m in spring 2023. Those have helped Translink keep operating while facing lower fare income higher costs, and falling gas tax revenue.

TransLink said today that without another $600m the shortfall "would result in significant cuts to all transit services, including cutting bus service in half, reducing SkyTrain and SeaBus trips by up to one-third, and potentially eliminating the West Coast Express commuter service."

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 2:22 AM

Either way, best of luck getting elected in the metro (and therefore winning a government) on an anti-transit funding ticket. Anybody want to guess how they'd "expedite" the Langley extension without spending more?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 3:39 AM

Is there an election this year?

Quote:
Metro Vancouver’s transit system is on the precipice of some of the steepest service cuts in its history, leaving entire communities without bus service and stranding the most vulnerable passengers, unless the provincial and federal governments step up with additional funding, according to a new report to be released today.

The “Report on Potential Transit Impacts” will land with a thud on the desks of the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation this morning — as it will on the campaign trail in this fall’s provincial election, where the document seems intended to whip up a flurry of debate over transit funding.

“Due to the magnitude of the financial gap, transit reductions would be in the range of 45-50 per cent overall and include elimination of entire routes plus significant reductions in frequency and start/end times of service,” reads the report.

“This would include cancelling approximately 145 bus routes, significantly reducing SkyTrain, SeaBus and HandyDART service, and potentially eliminating the West Coast Express. Funding for walking, cycling, and roads programs would also be cut.”

TransLink says it is $600 million short in annual operating funding for 2026.

The current funding model is failing to keep up with inflationary pressures on the system, due to the fact fare increases are held artificially low to ensure affordability for passengers and fuel tax revenue is in decline as motorists switch to electric vehicles, reads the report.
Quote:
The report proposes two alternatives for cuts to the region’s 230 current transit routes.

Under the first, TransLink would cut 45 per cent of bus service, focusing on the least productive routes first and saving those that have the highest ridership in Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond and central Surrey.

“Much of the rest of the region would be left with little to no transit access – particularly in the Northeast, Langley, White Rock, South Delta, and much of the North Shore,” reads the report.

“Remaining routes would likely carry higher overall system ridership, given relatively higher service levels.”

In this scenario, 15 per cent of SeaBus service would be cut, ending service an hour earlier and reducing peak frequency on weekdays to 15 minutes. The Expo-Millennium SkyTrain line would see a 10-per-cent service cut, and the West Coast Express would drop from five to three round trips per day.

Under the second option, TransLink would cut bus service 50 per cent (in the process eliminating more than 65 per cent of its actual routes) with the aim to retain reduced service for as much of the region, geographically, as possible.

It would mean steeper cuts to SeaBus, at 30 per cent, bumping service to 30-minute windows outside of weekday peak time, a 30 per cent cut to Expo-Millennium SkyTrain service and the complete elimination of the West Coast Express train.

In both scenarios, HandyDART service for those with disabilities would be slashed 35 per cent and be limited to medical trips, cutting off most day programs, education trips and other service for those with mobility issues.

The report notes the bus service reductions hit lower-income people the hardest, as well as visible minorities, youth and seniors. The changes would mean as much as one-third of those residents no longer live within walking distance to transit, according to the report.
https://www.biv.com/news/commentary/...couver-9266028

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 3:35 PM

Anyone else hate those bus seats where there are those two side by side pairs of seats facing each other?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 5:44 AM

When will Mark V's Start arriving?

Based on the info demo train arrives in November 2023 check, and then 1 train a month arrives starting in June 2024. So far it seems we are 3 months behind schedule since there is no news of movement out in Kingston.

Are their issues from testing that require changes to the design?

Anyone have any news?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Based on the info demo train arrives in November 2023 check, and then 1 train a month arrives starting in June 2024. So far it seems we are 3 months behind schedule since there is no news of movement out in Kingston.

Are their issues from testing that require changes to the design?

Anyone have any news?
Not sure if it's against the rules to link to other forums but someone just posted photos of one car en route from Calgary and he said there were two of them.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Not sure if it's against the rules to link to other forums but someone just posted photos of one car en route from Calgary and he said there were two of them.
Hadn't checked there in a few days. So about 6 weeks behind unless we get more then 1/month. Hopefully 6-7 trains will be in revenue service by end of year as Translink as stated (not the number of trains though)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure