HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
If that's the angle, maybe skip the cameras and just put up a cardboard cop sign that says "Stop! Fare Evasion Is A Crime!" Singapore loves those.
I know either Port Moody has a cutout cop holding a radar gun that they set up around town. I've seen it heading north on Clarke just before the big downhill section. Maybe the Transit Police could take some lessons from the RCMP?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:50 AM

the problem is the vast majority of stations lack staff presence. Just having a staff posted at the gates will at least deter some of the evaders. At least they wouldn't be so ballsy about it.

And the other thing is the design of fare gates they went with. The gates are designed to give with just a bit of force. Why would they think that was good?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
And the other thing is the design of fare gates they went with. The gates are designed to give with just a bit of force. Why would they think that was good?
Like I said, it's probably for safety. You need to be able to exit if there's an emergency, and not being able to get through gates or doors is how people get injured or die.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 8:17 PM

The alternative is turnstiles or the crotch-grabbers Southeast Asia is fond of.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 6:05 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
The alternative is turnstiles or the crotch-grabbers Southeast Asia is fond of.
Asia doesn't have individuals with considerably less respect for the rules. Cubic's currently installed gates are equivalent to what New York is testing...and New York famously has some of the most extreme fare gates in use.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Asia doesn't have individuals with considerably less respect for the rules...
Heh, you'd be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
... Cubic's currently installed gates are equivalent to what New York is testing...and New York famously has some of the most extreme fare gates in use.
To be clear, we're talking about these New York faregates, right? They seem to be having the exact same problems.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Heh, you'd be surprised.

To be clear, we're talking about these New York faregates, right? They seem to be having the exact same problems.
i always thought the NYC ones that are full height, like a revolving door were super secure and good. apparently post 9/11 meant they needed to add emergency exits that everyone now uses to not pay fares. these new styles, similar to our own, is meant to avoid needing an emergency exist.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i always thought the NYC ones that are full height, like a revolving door were super secure and good. apparently post 9/11 meant they needed to add emergency exits that everyone now uses to not pay fares. these new styles, similar to our own, is meant to avoid needing an emergency exist.
Isn't it a standard for emergency exits to activate an alarm when opened?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Isn't it a standard for emergency exits to activate an alarm when opened?
from what i have read, most in NYC dont work anymore. and when they did, no one cared.

alarms are about enforcement, so if no one is there to care, then it doesnt matter.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 1:07 AM

Vancouver considers expanded bus lanes to tackle overcrowding, inefficiency and safety

Quote:
OneCity Coun. Christine Boyle is proposing that Vancouver work with TransLink to expedite the design and implementation of eight new bus lanes outlined in TransLink’s 2024 Bus Speed and Reliability update — and the motion goes before council on Wednesday.

The new bus lanes would be included along Southeast Marine Drive, 49th Avenue, Hastings Street, Main Street and Kingsway, among others.

Additional routes would include King Edward Avenue, West 4th, and downtown to North Vancouver via Powell and Cordova streets.

The motion asks city staff to work with TransLink to implement at least two new dedicated bus corridors each year, starting in 2025. Planning and engineering resources would be provided by the city and TransLink would provide funding.

Expedited bus lanes could address long-standing concerns about overcrowding and reliability on Vancouver buses.

Virtually all of TransLink’s customer service metrics for bus routes — including timing, reliability and frequency — were lower this year than at the same time last year, according to TransLink’s own surveys.

Overcrowding, frequency and reliability were identified as particular areas of concern, according to the report.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 2:21 PM

I don't know if this is a generational thing or just the individual, but I was on the train half an hour ago and across from me was this broccoli head talking on speakerphone full volume with his phone held up to his face. I look at him and he makes eye contact with me and I tell him to turn off the speakerphone because everyone is listening to his conversation whether they want to or not. He says "okay I don't care". What's funny about it is that I was underneath the sign that says no loud audio.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 4:05 PM

Broccoli head - easy to guess what generation he was from.

I'm grateful to have very few of those experiences on Skytrain myself, but it might be due to the noise-cancelling headphones I always wear. They never fail!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:31 PM

This is exactly what an efficient, dollar savvy government 'run like a business' would do. Saves millions on bus delays and prioritizes paying customers that occupy less space over space inefficient private vehicles. Much of 'Government waste' is just the cost of appeasing voters in a way that a private business wouldn't. You could save billions doing cut and cover and inconveniencing some people, but of course those people vote, so a Government is less likely to do so.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Broccoli head - easy to guess what generation he was from.

I'm grateful to have very few of those experiences on Skytrain myself, but it might be due to the noise-cancelling headphones I always wear. They never fail!
Careful being on the train with headphones on, especially noise cancelling ones. Hard to detect crackheads that might be feeling stabby

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 10:59 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
This is exactly what an efficient, dollar savvy government 'run like a business' would do. Saves millions on bus delays and prioritizes paying customers that occupy less space over space inefficient private vehicles. Much of 'Government waste' is just the cost of appeasing voters in a wawy that a private business wouldn't. You could save billions doing cut and cover and inconveniencing some people, but of course those people vote, so a Government is less likely to do so.
I fully expect business and Ken Sim to shut this down.

I remember going to a meeting way back in 2012 where a bunch of Hastings business owners expressed concerns about a loss of street parking due to a proposed rapid bus service with full day HOV lanes. Someone showed findings suggesting the potential increase in business opportunity with more pedestrians walking the streets along with long layovers that may actually encourage more vistors for local businesses. Long insightful presentation was followed by the usual blank stares and "muh parking!!!" comments.

We live in stupid times where we continue to prop up the automobile.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
I fully expect business and Ken Sim to shut this down.
I still don't understand why people get so emotional about Ken Sim. It's almost "KSDS" (Ken Sim Derangement Syndrome) at this point.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2024072...nts/cfscA2.pdf

Quote:
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED
A. THAT the City of Vancouver work with TransLink to design and implement
dedicated bus lanes, as outlined in TransLink’s 2024 Bus Speed and Reliability
Report15, along the eight priority corridors in Vancouver16, including along the
routes where ongoing speed and reliability planning work was initiated by the
motion “Advancing Rapid Transit and Priority RapidBus upgrade Projects in
Vancouver to Support Complete Communities, Livability and Growth” passed in
2023:
a. Southeast Marine Drive
b. 49th Avenue
c. Hastings Street
d. Main Street / Kingsway
As well as the four additional TransLink top priority routes not covered in the
previous motion:
e. Broadway
f. King Edward Avenue
g. West 4th Avenue
h. Downtown to the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge (Powell, Cordova, and
others)
FURTHER THAT the City of Vancouver commit to completing the above
improvements at a rate of at least 2 corridors per year beginning in 2025; and
that the City work together with TransLink to determine the optimal order;
AND FURTHER THAT where new proposed bus lanes would run through
commercial areas, City staff work with TransLink and local Business
Improvement Associations (BIAs) to address concerns and maintain loading
access and patio space where that is a BIA priority.
B. THAT Council direct the City Manager to allocate sufficient planning and
engineering resources to access additional TransLink funding for implementing
these transit priority measures.
C. THAT Council request the Mayor write a letter to the Province advocating for
automated bus lane enforcement within the City of Vancouver

(It just passed.)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:04 AM

He's got a track record of being pro-car and anti-everything else, so this is a pleasant surprise. Great to know we'll be getting faster buses (eventually).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:32 AM

What a pleasant surprise! And not surprising that Sim and Montague were absent for this one

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
I don't know if this is a generational thing or just the individual, but I was on the train half an hour ago and across from me was this broccoli head talking on speakerphone full volume with his phone held up to his face. I look at him and he makes eye contact with me and I tell him to turn off the speakerphone because everyone is listening to his conversation whether they want to or not. He says "okay I don't care". What's funny about it is that I was underneath the sign that says no loud audio.
This happens all the time now. People having calls on speaker, scrolling through TikTok with no headphones, etc. You did the right thing by saying something. I have started doing that as well. In some cultures, this behaviour is normal versus others where it’s rightfully considered insane. Someone in Paris isn’t going to be afraid to tell you to fuck off if you aren’t respectful of others on transit, for example.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
This happens all the time now. People having calls on speaker, scrolling through TikTok with no headphones, etc. You did the right thing by saying something. I have started doing that as well. In some cultures, this behaviour is normal versus others where it’s rightfully considered insane. Someone in Paris isn’t going to be afraid to tell you to fuck off if you aren’t respectful of others on transit, for example.
One thing I hate is being at the store and someone is on facetime. Like, can't you wait?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure