Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj
Streetcars are used to speed up walking, that's the only use case they're effective at. Our tax dollars need to go into systems that get people out of cars, and therefore need to be faster than driving.
|
Not an LRT holdout by any means but I could see a use case for capacity on routes where it makes sense. But the capacity, not speed, has to out-do what a bus can do.
The other use case, that can be argued, would be if there is an existing ROW that can be converted to LRT tracks. Namely I am alluding to the Arbutus greenway ROW.
I have always viewed at-grade LRT to be a very niche transit solution despite them being sold to the public as a
rapid transit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy?
I think folks also get mixed up on LRT, streetcar, and tram. All of these for a fantasy future line could be a mostly-at-grade in its own ROW line that can be implemented here in the Lower Mainland, even in Vancouver successfully.
|
Agreed. I think that the language needs to evolve from "LRT" to
"at-grade" or
"grade separated" when referring to transit technology.
LRT, IMO, is just too broad of a term used by those with an agenda to sell their product when they want it to look more appealing to the general public.
As others have pointed out, Skytrain is technically considered LRT but when it is mentioned it carries an entirely different gravity in a conversation

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy?
A tram running in traffic definitely isn't a big win for users, cost, frequency, capacity, but might be a good option in the downtown peninsula and Gastown. I understand fantasy wishes are fantasy, but unlimited funds for subway or elevated isn't unlimited.
|
I also agree here as well for the use-case for an at-grade LRT option.
I hate making the comparison because people frequently miss the point
(and I am sort of comparing apples to oranges); but part of the reason why the Toronto streetcar system is successful as a transit solution is that fundamentally it provides a high capacity solution on routes that have a high passenger volume.
Ain't no one in Toronto taking the streetcar because it is rapid, that's what the metro system is for. They're taking the streetcar because it is there, and it connects them to popular destinations that will never see rapid transit stations developed on, in a comfortable modality. I'm also suspicious that the TTC streetcar averages lower speeds than buses but I don't have the links to back that up.