Appreciate the constructive criticism and ideas from everyone so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou
As far as I can tell, LRT in the Lower Mainland died with the municipal career of Dianne Watts. I think it's far more likely that in the far future the Arbutus ROW gets taken over by Skytrain rather than an LRT solution.
|
I would like to live in a Vancouver where street-running LRT is recognized as unviable since everyone including Translink that studies it realizes it is effectively the same as a bus route, but it seems that the ghost of Dianne Watts does live on in some circles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou
It seems like Translink has adopted the (IMO correct) position that at-grade LRT = bus with more steps. Translink would much rather push a RapidBus/BRT down Arbutus than have an at-grade rail solution.
Regardless, considering that AFAIK every LRT system in the world has drivers, I'd say that we're definitely not getting driverless LRT here anytime soon.
|
By many definitions, the Skytrain
is an automated LRT system, the technology used by the Expo and Millennium lines was officially defined as "Advanced Light Rapid Transit". Though I believe you're well aware of this. Today it could probably be more accurately defined as some sort of "medium" option between light and heavy rail, although from a rolling stock perspective it's still very light rail.
And yes, Translink established that pretty clearly to Dianne Watts during her mayoral term regarding her LRT project. That Translink's preferred option from their technical and economic evaluations is exactly what is now being built, Skytrain down Fraser Highway and BRT down King George.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou
I'm also of the opinion that, while Senakw will certainly be a dense neighbourhood, it's a little hard to justify a station at the very edge of Kitsilano.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered User
3. The station serving Senakw is closer to 4th and Burrard to catch all those 4th Ave bus services (4, 7, 14, 84)
|
I was considering that. I think I'll do up another drawing incorporating these suggestions in the future. I was swayed to place a station at Burrard and Cornwall due to a couple of factors:
- The first being, Senakw, with a full build out population of approximately 9000 people.
- The second is, that it seems obvious to me that the Molson Brewery redevelopment was pulled once Senakw started getting off the ground to give some time for the growing pains to heal from the higher density bandaid being ripped off. Concord Pacific is likely to come back to the city with a significantly larger proposal than they had previously, using the density of Senakw to justify their own. The previous proposal from Concord Pacific was 3000 units on the 7.6 acre site (395 units/acre). Senakw has 6000 units on 10.8 arces (555 units/arce). I can imagine Concord will likely try to go for ~500 units/acre in their revised proposal, resulting in only those two developments housing ~15,000 people that currently do not exist at this location.
- The third is that this will not stop with these two sites, this area of the city is highly desirable, between the Broadway plan which upzones everything south of 1st Avenue, and the redevelopment of the city owned South False Creek area, and the potential for higher densities on Kits Point (to the begrudgement of current residents, although market economics will eventually win on this), there's easily going to be a population of about 20k to 30k people within a quick walk of this station.
- Fourth is that Kitsilano Beach is a major tourist destination, having a station nearby will ultimately serve that node in addition to the residents nearby.
I would agree though that west 4th is a draw in and of itself as a major shopping street and with multiple frequent bus services. I think moving the station south from Cornwall to west 4th would place it too far to draw much traffic heading downtown from Senakw and the Molson site. Perhaps a 100m long station directly beneath Burrard between 2nd and 3rd, with entrances at West 1st and West 4th could work well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou
So, I'd argue that a more likely fantasy alignment would be an above ground station at Arbutus with potential to continue south along the ROW. The elevated guideway can follow the ROW northeast all the way to the Granville Bridge where it can duck under the Fir offramp, fly over Granville, then again duck under the Hemlock onramp. There should be adequate clearance to do so and the design precedence exists on the Expo Line when it ducks underneath the Dunsmuir and Georgia viaducts. The co-ops on SFC should be due/past due their lease expiry by that time so it should make sense for a tear down, a tunnel portal + South False Creek-Granville Island station to be built, and redevelopment on top. Routing through the downtown core TBD.
|
I had considered something like this alignment, but went with something further west for a few reasons. The first being the above mentioned projects which are adjacent to the Cornwall/Burrard intersection. The second being that this is also intended to be a relief portion for the Canada line and going west-east instead of north-south would make this more of a relief line for the Broadway Subway and add additional time to those going from UBC / Kits / West Broadway / Jericho to downtown that would make this less attractive of an option. Third, an alignment under Granville street would mirror the Canada Line and have to compete for physical space. Part of the intention of this alignment along Thurlow is to get as physically west into the West End as possible while still making for an efficient alignment for through-travelers, serving the currently planned development along Thurlow (including the major redevelopment of the current St Paul's location) as well as the eastern portion of the West End.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered User
I think connecting the Hastings Line with Arbutus via Thurlow is the natural, smart, and inevitable move (replacing the 14 and probably 44 bus). I've long included such a route in my own fantasy network, but with a few changes:
1. There is a major station at Main and Hastings, and possibly stations at either somewhere like Hastings and Abbott or, my preference, Carrall and Water (a think a Gastown-themed station would just be too cool). I can't see a justification for any stations between Main and Commercial unless there is major development in EAST East Hastings.
2. More controversial: The station at Robson is shifted east enough for an unground transfer to Burrard (for an envisioned extension of the Expo Line to the North Shore with stations serving Coal Harbour and Denman). I love the idea of there being a triangle of transfer stations right at the heart of Downtown.
|
The portion east of Waterfront I haven't put quite as much thought into as the portion west of Waterfront, I do agree that the stations in Gastown / Railtown could be consolidated around Main Street. I do think that considering the development proposals between Hawks Ave and Clark Drive in the eastern portion of the Strathcona neighbourhood, it does deserve some higher order rapid transit (perhaps provisions for an infill station at the very least).
I was thinking about something similar when I was placing the Robson station, I ultimately wanted a station to serve Robson street as it is Vancouver's primary shopping street. However I wanted to create some realistic distance from the Davie Street location, and having it between Robson and Georgia would also let it serve the office district more for those commuting from UBC / Kits / West Broadway / Jericho / etc.
Considering Translink massively scaled back the renovation plans for Burrard Station I'm not overly hopeful that a large rebuild of the station could occur, but it certainly would be cool in this fantasy world to create a secondary transfer station for those coming from the Expo Line that wish to reach somewhere like Davie Village or Kitsilano Beach quickly and efficiently.