Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs
I've always thought Ohio really benefitted from the 3 large (by Canadian standards) 'C' Metros, and other decent sized Metros (Dayton, Akron, Toledo) unlike the Chicagoland setup of Illinois where one giant Metro has to carry the entire State.
|
IL and OH are at the opposite ends of the big state spectrum.
One single giant be-all end-all alpha city vs. a small constellation of beta and gamma cities.
There are pros and cons to each approach
If I were a farmer/small town dweller, I'd think the OH approach probably serves more people more effectively.
But as a confirmed big city dweller, the IL approach does have advantages too, if you happen live in the big city.
Their are certain things that happen when a city achieves a critical mass
For instance, if you happen to be a fan of skyscrapers (and who isn't?):
Buildings over 1,000':
IL - 5
OH - 0
Buildings over 750':
IL - 24
OH - 1
Buildings over 500':
IL - 138
OH - 12
Or if you're a fan of non-stop international flights.
# of non-stop overseas destinations:
IL - 40
OH - 3
But of course it's not all good stuff. Traffic, for one, is far worse in Chicagoland than anywhere in the state of Ohio. And the sheer size of the place means it typically takes more time to get places.
All that said, I'd likely be happy living in any of the 3C's were I not such a hopeless Chicagoan, but size does have its advantages. Smaller size does too.