HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 5:17 AM

best places to shoot pdx's skyline

is it me, or does it seem like their is no one good place in this city that really captures the totality of the skyline? I don't have this problem with Seattle or San Francisco, where it seems you can get a great skyline shot from anywhere. Perhaps it's cause Portland's just not that big? Or that it's kind of spread out? Anyway I'm wondering if people here have ideas as to the best places to get a good picture of the whole skyline. Here's what I've come up with and why it's unsatisfying to me:

Mt. Tabor; you get the whole thing but it's pretty far away so it looks small.

Eastbank Esplanade; you're certainly close enough, too close in fact! Good luck getting everything from the Koin Center to Big Pink in one shot (non pano).

Pittock Mansion; great view but looking down on a skyline really puts a damper on it's majesty.

Vista St. Bridge; pretty good for lower downtown but you still miss out on big pink and the Pearl.

Broadway Bridge; This is my favorite, view as it's very close but you can still get the whole thing. Plus you are elevated so you can get a bit more of the lower rise buildings. Problem is much of downtown's tallest are blocked.

Fremont and Marquam Bridges; my favorite views of the skyline are frome here, especially the Fremont. It gives me prove that the PDX skyline is more than you see in most photos. But getting a good photo from here is illegal most of the year...

So what's the answer? Somewhere in SW? I tried Terwilliger Blvd but couldn't find anything not blocked by trees. The tram? Any ideas?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos