HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 7:00 PM
zzzzzzzz

Portland Neighborhood Tour - Mississippi

Previous Portland Neighborhood Tours…
Sellwood/Westmoreland\\\Hosford-Abernethy\\\Irvington
Goose Hollow\\\Buckman\\\Multnomah Village\\\St. Johns

The Mississippi District is located in North Portland and is part of the Boise neighborhood. This thread actually covers the whole Boise neighborhood, but I think most locals would know the area as Mississippi (after Mississippi Avenue), hence the title of the thread.

The neighborhood is one of a few in Portland that is predominantly African-American. According to Portland Maps, in the year 2000, whites made up 35% of the population, while blacks were 42%. However, this stat may have changed somewhat since 2000, as the neighborhood, especially within a block or two of Mississippi Ave., has undergone steady gentrification in recent years. Actually, most of the people I saw walking within a block of Mississippi Ave were white, while most that I saw in the rest of the Boise neighborhood were black.

Condos are being built along Mississippi Ave., but the majority of the rest of the neighborhood is made up of single-family homes and duplexes, many of which are very nice looking Victorians, craftsman, etc.

Vancouver and Williams on the eastern side of the neighborhood make up a couplet of one-way streets with many empty lots and under-utilized land between them, although the neighborhoods both east and west of these streets are pretty well built out.

The Yellow Line of Portland’s MAX light rail is a few blocks west of I-5. There is a stop called Mississippi/Albina, but it isn’t within the boundaries of the Boise neighborhood (I-5 is the western border), so I don’t have any pics from over there (I’m following the boundaries given by the city of Portland’s neighborhood associations, for any locals who are unaware).

Here’s a map. Downtown is outlined in red, Mississippi/Boise is in green.

I guess I’ll start with Mississippi Avenue. It’s mostly retail now, but there is a condo building under construction.

Condos going up

Thanks, Kroney, for the idea!

The Rebuilding Center is a warehouse owned by a non-profit organization that reuses old furniture, building materials, etc. The warehouse is an enormous presence on this block of Mississippi Ave.

Houses in the rest of the Boise neighborhood...

Isn’t a tower crane kind of overkill for a three-story house?

A nice fixer-upper… it’s for sale!!!

Vancouver/Williams couplet

Painted walls along Williams

That’s it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos