PDA

View Full Version : NEW YORK | 432 Park Avenue (Drake Hotel dev.) | (1,396) FT / 432 M | 89 FLOORS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

marcatio
Aug 16, 2012, 4:38 PM
With the second largest pour to date completed on the slab on grade, workers are now using power trowels to smooth the surface of the newly poured section. Rebar has been placed on the section south of the newly poured slab, in preparation for placement of concrete.

The southwest corner is getting its treatment of fabric, after having received crushed stone.

MrSlippery519
Aug 16, 2012, 5:20 PM
Do you know why they left the gap between what was poured this morning and the south footings that they seem to be preparing for pouring tomorrow?

marcatio
Aug 16, 2012, 6:26 PM
MrSlippery519,

My only guess for the gap between the slab section poured today, and the new section that appears ready for concrete is that the new section might be a depressed slab. Just a guess here. Without building section or foundation plan, I can only guess.

marcatio
Aug 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
Friday morning, another day. Concrete is being poured into the forms south of the core, via the versatile Hitachi. This area was formed, waterproofed and reinforced yesterday in preparation for today's pour. The nook at the east side of the site, where the rebar bending crew and other building materials were located, have been relocated to the new section of slab on grade that was poured yesterday. My prediction is that this area may be next for preparation for concrete.

At the street, the triple-boom Hitachi continues with truck-loading duties.

A closeup of the concrete pouring operation on the 57 St cam shows workers using a screed to level the freshly poured concrete. What looks like a vibrator to vibrate the concrete to help consolidate the concrete lies on the rebar near the bottom center of the view. The vibrator agitates the concrete to help it flow. Too much vibration, however, will cause segragation. A worker uses a power screed float, and another worker uses a manual float, which brings the fines (small particles) to the surface for a smooth finish.

Finally, a worker uses a power trowel to finish the slab.

10:48AM (EST) - It's a dissapointment that the Park Avenue cam is again out of service, as there is truck loading taking place, and the perspective of the jobsite seen from that cam adds other important information about what is taking place at street level. Hopefully that cam will return to service soon. The Hitachi at the lower level is relaying ramp material to the street level machine for removal. As this takes place, and as the ramp makes its dissapearance, soon machines may be leaving the site, which would be interesting to watch via the Park Avenue cam. The 57St. cam also needs refocusing, as the slab was cast this morning, and concrete was placed in forms adjacent to the 56St. perimeter wall, which was out of view because of the misfocused 57St. cam. Again, hopefully that cam also will be refocused.

What looked like conduit adjacent to the large 56St. footing has been covered with crushed stone, and filter fabric. That conduit had been placed yesterday. Workers are seen working in the nook to the east of the slab section just poured, preparing it for application of the waterproofing. This may be concreted next week.

photoLith
Aug 17, 2012, 4:08 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/photolitherland/7D761007-A83F-47C4-962A-FD1788160671-298-000000245117F283.jpg

I don't recall seeing this render but was reading the Wall St Journal today and they had an article about high rise living and had this render in it. Sorry it's not oriented correctly.

marcatio
Aug 17, 2012, 4:56 PM
Update: 12: 51PM (EST) - Rebar is being placed at the southwest corner. This area will be concreted next. A small footing is being formed in the nook just east of the last slab section poured. The excavator at the lower level moves ramp material up for removal.

Update: 1:11PM (EST) - I believe what is a template for the base section of the tower crane is now on site, currently resting on the new poured slab. There are also four standoffs, seen just north of the 56th St. footing. These will be embedded within the footing.

TechTalkGuy
Aug 18, 2012, 12:33 PM
This is going to be a great tower, but I will admit that all of these technical details about "structural drawings would read as "#5 at 8" o.c. " are not interesting to me. :(

I'd like to contribute to the fun of construction, but it doesn't seem possible much these days.

No one cares about how I feel about the tower -- just about how an Hatachi at the lower level ramp is about to drill a hole into a slab of concrete.

Wake me up when we are talking about this tower and how cool it's going to look on the skyline.

hunser
Aug 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
This is going to be a great tower, but I will admit that all of these technical details about "structural drawings would read as "#5 at 8" o.c. " are not interesting to me. :(

I'd like to contribute to the fun of construction, but it doesn't seem possible much these days.

No one cares about how I feel about the tower -- just about how an Hatachi at the lower level ramp is about to drill a hole into a slab of concrete.

Wake me up when we are talking about this tower and how cool it's going to look on the skyline.

Well for folks not interested in the technical details I would suggest you wait till the tower gets visible (exceeding street level). Then the real fun begins.

I for one just love the engineering behind a skyscraper. That's why marcatio's updates are totally awesome. :tup:

ib2010
Aug 18, 2012, 1:10 PM
I'm for all the types of info. Curious abount the floorplate layout , any drawings out there. With the elevator core being pretty substantial in a relatively small square, how's that work out?

NYguy
Aug 18, 2012, 1:45 PM
I don't recall seeing this render but was reading the Wall St Journal today and they had an article about high rise living and had this render in it. Sorry it's not oriented correctly.

I saw that article online yesterday. Here's the rendering again, but the print version looks better...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443324404577591364232347238.html

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/145452594/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/145452594/original.jpg

It's all a part of the process. It's nice to have someone knowledgable about the day to day details of a project. But trust you won't be bored when those details are in the sky.

Silverfox
Aug 18, 2012, 5:52 PM
432 Park Ave will definitely blend in with its future neighbors.

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/midtowneastrezoneafter.jpg

I might just build a scale LEGO model of it sometime in the near future.

xnyr
Aug 18, 2012, 5:53 PM
well for folks not interested in the technical details i would suggest you wait till the tower gets visible (exceeding street level). Then the real fun begins.

I for one just love the engineering behind a skyscraper. That's why marcatio's updates are totally awesome. :tup:

+1

photoLith
Aug 18, 2012, 6:09 PM

Uhm, did I miss something? What are all of those other towers?

jd3189
Aug 18, 2012, 6:37 PM
:previous: They are just placeholders of a representation of what East Midtown may look like years latter after the rezoning. Those exact towers may not be built but this area will surely gain height.

TechTalkGuy
Aug 19, 2012, 4:44 AM

I realize that those are placeholders, but I recall many, many years ago when Philadelphia had placeholders like that, but the area never developed anything like the plan.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

reencharles
Aug 19, 2012, 5:33 AM
:previous:
You can not compare Philadelphia to New York about construction. :haha:

Silverfox
Aug 19, 2012, 5:48 AM
In due time, something taller is likely to sprout nearby. I have a feeling this won't stand alone in the future, and instead of standing out it'll mix in with its surroundings well. It's good to see that this is finally raising the bar again. It's been four decades since that happened, and I have a feeling this building is going going to be the start of a new era for not just the NYC, but in other cities as well. NYC is reaching further into the sky again. :D

TechTalkGuy
Aug 19, 2012, 6:06 AM
You can not compare Philadelphia to New York about construction. :haha:

You're right -- what was I thinking? :shrug:

marcatio
Aug 19, 2012, 1:40 PM
There have been endless debates about the appearance of this tower: how it fits into the skyline, whether one likes it or not, etc, etc ad nauseum.

I have purposely stayed away from those debates, and will continue to do so. I have always been interested in the construction phase of structures in general, whether they be buildings, dams, highways, etcetera, etcetera. Having this webcam of this particular tower is terrific for me, as it is possible to view, in real time, the actual means of construction that in the normal sense would be impractical otherwise. It provides an educational opportunity for an interested viewer to see how a tower such as this is constructed. In my posts, I have tried to inform viewers what is going on, to gain an appreciation of the process of building. Once the building is done, it's done. I want to see HOW it's done. Once again, there will be differing views of the final product, but I'm interested in the NUTS AND BOLTS of the construction phase.

In our everyday world, we see and use products, whether they be small items like a sheet of paper, or large like a building. For me, the interesting questions are: how are they made?? And so it is with this tower. How does it go up??

There may be some who don't care about the process of construction: that's fine. However, there are those who do. We all have differing interests. If you aren't interested, that's fine, but there are those who want a little deeper understanding of what is going on. To those that are interested, I say thank you for the support. To those others who don't care, it is my hope that you do gain a bit of insight, not only about how this particular project is being constructed, but perhaps help broaden, in some small way, a little bit about the world around you.

TechTalkGuy
Aug 19, 2012, 4:21 PM
:previous: I don't mind a progress report, but what's lost in the translation is the technical language.

Here is an example of how I completely lost interest, "structural drawings would read as "#5 at 8" o.c. ".

How am I supposed to understand what that means?
How does that benefit my knowledge?

TransitEngr
Aug 19, 2012, 6:14 PM
:previous: I don't mind a progress report, but what's lost in the translation is the technical language.

Here is an example of how I completely lost interest, "structural drawings would read as "#5 at 8" o.c. ".

How am I supposed to understand what that means?
How does that benefit my knowledge?

#5 is perhaps the rebar size???.... 8"o.c.... meaning 8" on center (center of rebar to center of rebar)

And that rendering above with theoretical neighbors around 432 Park Ave is NOT entirely crazy..... subways and commuter rail are the life blood of skyscrapers..... once East Side Access is complete - AND - once the next economic upturn cycle returns it's possible to see many more super talls in Midtown East being built.

432 Park Ave if built today would stand pretty tall in Midtown East..... but perhaps in 30 to 50 years it might be commonplace.

Aaaaand that's my first posting in nearly 5 years. ;-)

TechTalkGuy
Aug 19, 2012, 7:20 PM
:previous: I agree 100% with you, TransitEngr !!

Just look at my profile pic on how strongly I feel that the NYC transit system is the life-blood of the skyscraper eco-system. :tup:

MrSlippery519
Aug 20, 2012, 6:34 PM
It's amazing to see the progress everyday...today so far has been another major change to the site. Lots more rebar down on the bottom left (56 cam), also they are preparing the top right (56 cam) of the site with gravel, fabric, etc.

They are going to quickly run out of room to manuever down there, I would say within a week or 2 the ramp may be gone with a crane in place.

T-Mac
Aug 21, 2012, 2:57 PM
I'm missing Marcatio's updates on everything. I always enjoy checking in first thing every morning and get the details of what is happening. I love to watch the camera's but I appreciate his insight to what it is that is actually going on. I find the process of building the skyscraper absolutely fascinating. Where are you Marcatio???

NYguy
Aug 21, 2012, 3:13 PM
Cam shot (August 21, 2012)

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/145528579/original.jpg
www.432park.com

TechTalkGuy
Aug 21, 2012, 3:15 PM
:previous: I am a visual guy and find that photo to be very interesting. :tup:

marcatio
Aug 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'd taken a few days off from this post lately.

A recap 'til now of the events that took place since the last time I posted:

Aug 17 - Poured depressed slab south of core, waterproofing applied to southwest corner, rebar, crane legs and template installed in 56St footing.

Aug 20 - Area surrounding previously poured depressed slab had waterproofing begun, crane footing poured, waterproofing begun in nook east of the core.

Aug 21 - Excavation begun on new larger pad on 56St that was formed and poured, pour stops installed in east nook and east section of new slab to be poured surrounding the previously poured depress slab. Rebar completed on new future slab surrounding depressed slab. Rebar extended on south west (56St) corner, with pour stop installed.

Today - Concrete pump on site in preparation for pour for either area surrounding depressed slab, or southwest area adjacent to 56St. wall, or perhaps both.

Concrete pouring underway on the southwest slab section adjacent to the 56St perimeter wall. It is possible that the slab section surrounding the previously poured slab will also be concreted. Waterproofing being installed around the larger 56St pad that was formed and poured yesterday.
1:50PM (EST) - Today was a day of great progress. Four areas were poured today, leaving just a small area for the marooned excavator to maneuver. Preparations for waterproofing takes place adjacent to the section in the east nook that was poured today. The future 56St slab section to be poured that encloses the crane footing, and the depressed pad that was poured today, has some rebar placed, with additional reinforcing and pour stop to be added before pouring.

It is a shame that the Park Avenue cam is again out of service, as now that the slab visible on the 56St. cam is nearing completion, it would be interesting to see what happens at street level concerning final ramp removal, and removal of the excavators. This is a critical operation that I really want to observe, so hopefully that Park Av cam comes back very soon.

marcatio
Aug 22, 2012, 7:21 PM
The Hitachi 850 that had spent its life down in th pit for months hammering, digging, pouring concerte, acting as a crane, in short, performing yeoman service, now walks itself up the remains of the ramp. Now I really want that Park Avenue cam to get back online!! C'mon, EarthCam!!

fleonzo
Aug 22, 2012, 9:59 PM
When will the actual crane be installed????

1Boston
Aug 23, 2012, 12:57 AM
Wow this has made tons of progress since I was last on.

DCReid
Aug 23, 2012, 1:01 AM

What is the footprint for the tower in post #2125? Is it the little square box in the upper half of the photo?

scalziand
Aug 23, 2012, 1:52 AM
No, the little square is just the core. The actual footprint looks like this.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4632/432footprint.jpg

Maybe it's time to make an updated version of this.

Guiltyspark
Aug 23, 2012, 2:05 AM
No, the little square is just the core. The actual footprint looks like this.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4632/432footprint.jpg

Maybe it's time to make an updated version of this.

Yeah, that would be good, because you can tell by the footings that the actual size of the tower will be a little larger than what you have shown. But it is cool to pretty much see how it is going to sit on the site. I still think this building is a waste. All that crazy height... if they just added a crown and spire then it would be really reminiscent of the buildings downtown c. 1930s.

NYguy
Aug 23, 2012, 2:21 AM

Yeah, doesn't seem that long ago when the site looked like this: (note the buildings that have yet to be demolished)

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/50832/2030945-T1200800.jpg

marcatio
Aug 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
The past week has seen a flurry of activity, with most of the slab on grade that is visible on the 56St cam has been poured. The bulk of the remaining activity on the foundation shifts east towards Park Avenue, with the removal of the remains of the ramp. Today, I noticed the resetting of the 56St. street barricades, indicating activity at the corner of Park Avenue and E. 56 Street, which is not viewable because of the Park Avenue cam not operating. Truck loading is taking place, with trucks being loaded by the triple-boom Hitachi. I am guessing that the Hitachi 850 that had been down in the pit may now be gone from the site. The non-functioning Park Avenue cam is a dissapointment, as this activity would be interesting to see. This to me is the worst of all times for that cam to be down.

NewYorkDominates
Aug 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
The past week has seen a flurry of activity, with most of the slab on grade that is visible on the 56St cam has been poured. The bulk of the remaining activity on the foundation shifts east towards Park Avenue, with the removal of the remains of the ramp. Today, I noticed the resetting of the 56St. street barricades, indicating activity at the corner of Park Avenue and E. 56 Street, which is not viewable because of the Park Avenue cam not operating. Truck loading is taking place, with trucks being loaded by the triple-boom Hitachi. I am guessing that the Hitachi 850 that had been down in the pit may now be gone from the site. The non-functioning Park Avenue cam is a dissapointment, as this activity would be interesting to see. This to me is the worst of all times for that cam to be down.

Love your updates.

NYguy
Aug 23, 2012, 1:46 PM
The footprint is more defined now...

(cam shot, August 23, 3012)

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/145570264/original.jpg
www.432park.com

uaarkson
Aug 23, 2012, 2:04 PM
So many projects in NYC to be giddy about these days. If you're a true skyscraper nerd you have your face glued to these threads any chance you can get.

Dense_Electric
Aug 23, 2012, 2:15 PM
Ooh, fun. I think this is probably the first photograph of this building that shows any of the structure itself (even if it's just a few feet of rebar).

So I take it this thing is going to start rising any day now?

marcatio
Aug 23, 2012, 3:37 PM
Happy to have the Park Avenue cam back online. Hopefully it will stay online, as there is foundation work to be done on that Park Avenue end of the site.

Trucks line up along the realigned barricades on 56Street, and can no longer back into the site entrance as before, as the ramp disappears. They are currently being loaded in the street by the triple-boom Hitachi EX800, the last of the big Hitachis that worked on the foundation. As predicted, the other Hitachi EX850 excavator that worked below has left the site. As foundation work has now reached the remains of the ramp, there is every possibility that truck-loading operations may continue this weekend, as slab construction has proceeded at a brisk pace.

Workers apply waterproofing to the future depressed slab area at the nook, with rebar being installed at the future slab section at 56St.

TechTalkGuy
Aug 23, 2012, 3:56 PM
Live cam shows 9 construction workers on site, while two cranes are moving dirt.

That's all I need to know. :D

xnyr
Aug 23, 2012, 4:08 PM
Happy to have the Park Avenue cam back online. Hopefully it will stay online, as there is foundation work to be done on that Park Avenue end of the site.

Trucks line up along the realigned barricades on 56Street, and can no longer back into the site entrance as before, as the ramp disappears. They are currently being loaded in the street by the triple-boom Hitachi EX800, the last of the big Hitachis that worked on the foundation. As predicted, the other Hitachi EX850 excavator that worked below has left the site. As foundation work has now reached the remains of the ramp, there is every possibility that truck-loading operations may continue this weekend, as slab construction has proceeded at a brisk pace.

Workers apply waterproofing to the future depressed slab area at the nook, with rebar being installed at the future slab section at 56St.

Marcatio, I've got a question about the crane footing.

You mentioned several pages ago about the template being placed. I remember it being a wooden form placed about 30 degrees clockwise compared to the slab. You can now see the "shadow" of that template.

Can you explain what that template is/was, why it is not square with the slab, and does it connect to the tendons placed around the perimeter of that 56th St. slab?

Thanks alot... This stuff fascinates me.

marcatio
Aug 23, 2012, 4:26 PM
xnyr,

The template is a metal guide that was placed atop the steel legs that are embedded within the concrete. It is used to line up the legs that the crane tower base will be bolted. to. Reccaping the process, the footing was excavated, the footing pad was poured, the pad was drilled for the rock tendons, the tendons were installed and grouted, the reinforcement was placed, the four crane legs were then placed, plumbed and aligned with the template, then concrete poured to complete the crane footing. You can see the template just above the poured footing.

The tower for the crane does not necessarily have to aligned with the building. Perhaps the reason it is skewed is for structural reasons. The crane tower must resist the reactions from the crane as it works.

Here is a building that had a tower crane with its tower skewed in reference to the building being constructed.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/marcat1953/New%20York%20Construction/DCP_1274-1.jpg

This stuff also fascinates me as well!!

xnyr
Aug 23, 2012, 5:30 PM
xnyr,

The template is a metal guide that was placed atop the steel legs that are embedded within the concrete. It is used to line up the legs that the crane tower base will be bolted. to. Reccaping the process, the footing was excavated, the footing pad was poured, the pad was drilled for the rock tendons, the tendons were installed and grouted, the reinforcement was placed, the four crane legs were then placed, plumbed and aligned with the template, then concrete poured to complete the crane footing. You can see the template just above the poured footing.

The tower for the crane does not necessarily have to aligned with the building. Perhaps the reason it is skewed is for structural reasons. The crane tower must resist the reactions from the crane as it works.

Here is a building that had a tower crane with its tower skewed in reference to the building being constructed.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/marcat1953/New%20York%20Construction/DCP_1274-1.jpg

This stuff also fascinates me as well!!

Thanks for the clear explanation - I must have missed the embedding of the crane legs - they're going so fast!

One more question - what do you think the 4 grilages in the core will be supporting? I know in Chicago, those were used to support foundations in the soft soil/mud.

marcatio
Aug 24, 2012, 11:27 PM
Visited the site today to watch the truck loading operation. The big triple-boom Hitachi spending its last days at the site digging and loading out the ramp remains. Spoke to the crew there, the excavator will wind up out in the street, digging out the remains, loading trucks behind it. Digging should finish perhaps by Tuesday. Took some photos, and a video of the truck loading.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/marcat1953/New%20York%20Construction/IMG_5988.jpg

Rebar fully installed in the slab section around the crane footing and the pad for the Alimak material hoist that will be mounted alongside the tower, along with the east area by the nook. Concrete will commence on Monday.

With the big Hitachi digging out the ramp remains, slab construction will continue towards Park Avenue.

On the west perimeter wall, workers on the man lift ground the wall to expose rebar which is bent out to be embedded in future intersecting walls.

sw5710
Aug 25, 2012, 12:20 AM
Does anyone know how tall the building will be at Xmas 2012 and also in a year from now. THANKS!

NewYorkDominates
Aug 25, 2012, 3:05 AM
Based on how fast the progress is,I think it's safe to say that by Christmas we should see a tower above ground level.A year from now:700-800'?

TransitEngr
Aug 25, 2012, 3:13 PM
I've done a little reading on what is currently the tallest residential tower in the world.... and what is proposed to be the tallest residential tower in the world (under construction).

What I'm seeing.... is that quite a few of the ones under construction (in the UAE and India) are on Hold.

So.... with that said.... is there POTENTIAL that this might be the tallest residential tower in the world if completed on schedule???

hunser
Aug 25, 2012, 3:46 PM
I've done a little reading on what is currently the tallest residential tower in the world.... and what is proposed to be the tallest residential tower in the world (under construction).

What I'm seeing.... is that quite a few of the ones under construction (in the UAE and India) are on Hold.

So.... with that said.... is there POTENTIAL that this might be the tallest residential tower in the world if completed on schedule???

Well, the Pentominium (516m), Dubai, is on hold. But World One (442m), Mumbai, is under construction.

So by 2014 / 15 the list will most probably read like this:

1. World One, 442m (roof 442m, top floor 420m)
2. Diamond Tower, 432m, Jeddah (roof ~ 360m)
2. 432 PA, 426m (roof 426m, top floor 397m)
3. Damac Heights, 420m (roof 420m, top floor ~390m)
4. Princess Tower, 414m (roof 392m, top floor 358m)
5. Marina 101, 412m (roof ~ 370m, top floor 354m)
6. 23 Marina, 393m (top floor 313m)

All those Dubai towers have a very large crown and / or spire. That's why the last occupied floor is so low.

photoLith
Aug 25, 2012, 4:03 PM
I thought the Burj Khalifa was all residential and therefor the tallest residential building in the world.

yankeesfan1000
Aug 25, 2012, 4:08 PM
^^

There's a hotel on the lower part of the BK, and 25 or so floors of offices towards the top.

TransitEngr
Aug 25, 2012, 5:17 PM
Well, the Pentominium (516m), Dubai, is on hold. But World One (442m), Mumbai, is under construction.

2. 432 PA, 423m (roof 423m, top floor 397m)

All those Dubai towers have a very large crown and / or spire. That's why the last occupied floor is so low.

Cool..... thanks Hunser.... so 432 Park Avenue would likely be the tallest residential building in the W. Hemisphere....... with the highest residential unit in the W. Hemisphere.....

and although "No. 2" doesn't capture the headlines quite like "No. 1"...... by highest occupied floor .... it would also likely be the 2nd tallest all residential building in the world upon completion??? Think that's a fair statement???

jd3189
Aug 25, 2012, 7:59 PM
I thought the Burj Khalifa was all residential and therefor the tallest residential building in the world.

The Burj Khalifa is the tallest mixed building in the world.

viewguysf
Aug 25, 2012, 10:37 PM

2. 432 PA, 426m (roof 426m, top floor 397m)

Even if it won't be the tallest, it will be the tallest one in the best place. The New York views will also be incomparable.

Yankee fan for life
Aug 26, 2012, 3:54 AM
432 might be the tallest residential building in the world when completed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_residential_buildings_in_the_world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue

reencharles
Aug 26, 2012, 5:08 AM
Even if it won't be the tallest, it will be the tallest one in the best place. The New York views will also be incomparable.

I agree. :tup:
The only problem with living in this building, will be on cloudy days. You will only see clouds. :haha:
But with the weather cleared, the resident of the higher floors have amazing views of Central Park. Aahh, that lucky guy!

hunser
Aug 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
432 might be the tallest residential building in the world when completed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_residential_buildings_in_the_world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue

That list is a fail. Several projects are on hold or even canceled. 432 PA is not even included, together with some other 300m+ projects currently under construction.

Try CTBUH* , it's a way better source ... or even better yet: this forum. :)

* http://skyscrapercenter.com/index.php : here you can create your own lists and other stuff, pretty cool tool.

NYguy
Aug 26, 2012, 1:03 PM
Spoke to the crew there, the excavator will wind up out in the street, digging out the remains, loading trucks behind it. Digging should finish perhaps by Tuesday. Took some photos, and a video of the truck loading.

Thanks, looking forward to the crane arrival.

hunser
Aug 26, 2012, 8:07 PM
Massive update by 600West218 (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=94523577&postcount=3297), all credits to him:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7866245496_9c277fdb39_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866245496/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866245496/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8432/7866246378_ee2a6d0cc2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866246378/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866246378/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7263/7866247198_e19a437228_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866247198/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866247198/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8284/7866248070_2d328b296f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866248070/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866248070/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7866250136_beecb79c40_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866250136/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866250136/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7252/7866250960_192e2012f9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866250960/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866250960/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7265/7866251602_4ab9dda9a8_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866251602/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866251602/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7128/7866252652_6769de8c1b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866252652/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866252652/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8423/7866253538_75bcf5a4a7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866253538/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866253538/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7866254638_4579db72d3_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866254638/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866254638/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7866255580_b5d0b9dc78_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866255580/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866255580/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7111/7866256460_953f0bee0a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866256460/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866256460/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8421/7866257276_a7769b4c3e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866257276/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866257276/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8298/7866258400_260e08c20d_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866258400/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866258400/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7866259308_aecde00f0f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866259308/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866259308/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8308/7866260276_a8b8c6e384_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866260276/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866260276/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8297/7866262152_4d9f41de98_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866262152/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866262152/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8284/7866263226_39d7444465_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866263226/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866263226/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8304/7866264198_fef49d22b0_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866264198/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866264198/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7866265102_6bff2d1eba_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866265102/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866265102/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/7866266638_ec58a1648c_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866266638/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866266638/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

marcatio
Aug 27, 2012, 12:19 PM
Monday morning, 8-27-12:

As the big Hitachi at street level continues its digging, concrete is being poured into the section of slab on grade that was prepared last week. Concrete trucks back down, opposite to the normal one-way street flow, to the concrete pump, while truck loading by the Hitachi takes place. A steady string of dump trucks line up to receive their loads.

NYguy
Aug 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
Massive update by 600West218 (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=94523577&postcount=3297), all credits to him:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7111/7866256460_953f0bee0a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/7866266638_ec58a1648c_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866266638/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/600west218/7866266638/) by 600West218 (http://www.flickr.com/people/600west218/), on Flickr

Great photos. You get an idea of how tight the site is.

THE BIG APPLE
Aug 27, 2012, 1:08 PM
All it takes (in NYC) is for a building to occupy 25% or less of the occupied land and it could go at high as technology can take it. This is one case scenario. Same with the Twin Towers.

phoenixboi08
Aug 27, 2012, 1:36 PM
All it takes (in NYC) is for a building to occupy 25% or less of the occupied land and it could go at high as technology can take it. This is one case scenario. Same with the Twin Towers.

I've been struggling with this concept (I assume you're referring to FAR). Can you explain what you mean by "occupy[ing] 25% or less of the occupied land?"

THE BIG APPLE
Aug 27, 2012, 1:54 PM
^ Simple. Take the area of land between 56th and 57th that this tower will one day sit on. The area of this plot of land what ever it may be (haven't done the math yet), has to be occupied ATLEAST 25% for the building to go an unaccountable height. That doesn't mean that if 432 Park Ave takes up 26% it'll be drastically shorter, BUT just a bit. Now I believe this building has a length of 93 or in the 90's and the width being the same also. That makes the area it takes up being 8,100+ sq ft, and this number (8,100+) has to be 25% of the entire area of the land for the main tower to go an unaccountable height. The shorter buildings are a different issue, and I think this land will have one short building, but that doesn't really matter because it's... short.

Surrealplaces
Aug 27, 2012, 6:06 PM
Excellent to see this one moving along. I can't wait to see this when it's above grade.....curious to see how it's thin profile will look in the mix.

mrnyc
Aug 27, 2012, 6:34 PM
wow they are really going to town on this one now. remarkable.

NYguy
Aug 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
Wet morning, but the show goes on...

(August 28, 2012)

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/145681578/original.jpg
www.432park.com

Ed007Toronto
Aug 28, 2012, 1:47 PM
Thanks for the update.

2-TOWERS
Aug 28, 2012, 2:32 PM
Well hopefully ( we will keep our fingers crossed ) that this will be a 1400 footer or real close to it...

shakman
Aug 28, 2012, 4:58 PM
When will we see the tower crane(s)?

MrSlippery519
Aug 29, 2012, 5:39 PM
Almost all of the ramp is gone, will likely be completely gone by the end of day tomorrow. I assume we will see the crane assembly starting any day now alone with the rest of the slab.

It's going to be an interesting next few weeks as the tower will start to rise to street level.

chris123678
Aug 31, 2012, 12:26 AM
I can't wait to see this one rise. One of my friends knows someone who works at this tower and he says that it could be visible up to street level by the end of this year or early next year. Also it could be topped by late 2014 if no delays occur.

Lecom
Aug 31, 2012, 3:29 AM
I've been struggling with this concept (I assume you're referring to FAR). Can you explain what you mean by "occupy[ing] 25% or less of the occupied land?"

For instance, think of the classic Art Deco buildings, like the Empire State or Chrysler. The bulk of their footprint is relatively low, but as it rises up in setbacks, when the tower gets to be about 1/4 area of the site's footprint, the building's height really skyrockets.

marcatio
Aug 31, 2012, 10:15 AM
6:06AM (EST)-There's every likelihood that the digging will finish today. However, we won't see it, or the departure of the Hitachi (unless the cam gets fixed soon), because yet again, the Park Avenue cam is down. I wonder if it's done on purpose.

Since the last slab section has been poured, action for the last 3 weeks has been concentrated on the corner of E. 56St and Park Avenue, as the Hitachi EX800 has spent its time loading out dump trucks that have lined the street. All that remains for Mayrich to do is complete the slab section toward Park Avenue (assuming it is their responsibility per contract to complete the slab) to hand over the completed foundation.

MrSlippery519
Aug 31, 2012, 1:09 PM
All that remains for Mayrich to do is complete the slab section toward Park Avenue (assuming it is their responsibility per contract to complete the slab) to hand over the completed foundation.

If that is correct I assume we have another week...likely finish up the dirt removal today and then next week preparing the rest of the area for concrete should be done easily.

Ed007Toronto
Aug 31, 2012, 1:32 PM
And then it starts to rise.

MrSlippery519
Aug 31, 2012, 2:28 PM
And then it starts to rise.

That is the hope...really hope this starts rising uninterrupted. Unfortunately we really do not know the plan once the foundation is complete and it's passed onto the next contractor.

kingsdl76
Aug 31, 2012, 4:52 PM
Well hopefully ( we will keep our fingers crossed ) that this will be a 1400 footer or real close to it...

Is the height of 1398 not confirmed? Could it be potentially taller or shorter?

hunser
Aug 31, 2012, 5:18 PM
Is the height of 1398 not confirmed? Could it be potentially taller or shorter?

Only taller. The 1398 figure comes directly from the DOB (filings). But DOB papers aren't final so we still have to wait for an official release from the developer to confirm the final height.

Zapatan
Aug 31, 2012, 5:56 PM
One of the diagram/renderings/cutaways showed the roof at 1398 but it could have just been a mistake

However the DOB listed One57 as 953 feet so it could be the top floor.

Either way it'll be nice to have such a tall building in this part of midtown, and it will pave the way for many more.

sbarn
Aug 31, 2012, 6:00 PM
There is still quite a bit of activity on the site with the final stages of excavation. I wonder when we'll see a crane on site?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/7901466776_d8ce9a0909_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8454/7901465600_5d565fc2d0_b.jpg
(photos by me)

RoldanTTLB
Sep 1, 2012, 1:51 AM
Call me crazy, but my money is for a final, certified height of 1417 feet. if you can't imagine why, don't ask.

Yankee fan for life
Sep 2, 2012, 6:40 PM
Very plausible.

hunser
Sep 2, 2012, 8:07 PM
Call me crazy, but my money is for a final, certified height of 1417 feet. if you can't imagine why, don't ask.

That rumor has been around since the very beginning of this thread. Former thread title was 1,420 FT.

hunser
Sep 4, 2012, 11:43 AM
New permit filed on 08/31/12:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=121348835&passdocnumber=01

Ed007Toronto
Sep 4, 2012, 2:18 PM
Thanks for the updates.

uaarkson
Sep 4, 2012, 2:57 PM
Financing all lined up. I'll post the article later.

NYguy
Sep 4, 2012, 5:57 PM
^ That's great news. Financing was supposed to be finalized in June.

http://observer.com/2012/09/higher-tower-higher-prices-is-432-park-avenue-upping-its-asking-prices/

Higher Tower, Higher Prices: Is 432 Park Avenue Upping Its Asking Prices?

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/432park.jpg?w=300

By Kim Velsey
September 4, 2012

With everyone else tacking on millions to the asks for their apartments, we guess 432 Park Avenue wanted to get in on the action, even if the most soaring of soaring residential towers has yet to break ground. Why should One57 and 15 Central Park West rake in all the cash? Especially when 432 Park Avenue is set to be the tallest residential building in the city at 1,395 feet? In her weekly luxury market report, Donna Olshan of Donna Olshan Realty writes that sources tell her that the blended average asking price in the building will be about $5,800-a-square foot. Last we heard (when The Wall Street Journal snagged a brochure for the luxury high-rise this June), the average ask was at $4,500-a-square foot. One57 is still more expensive even with the price increase, offering some bargain prices of around $3,500-a-square foot on the lower levels, but charging as much as $13,000-a-sqaure foot for the penthouse (which is currently in contract for somewhere north of $90 million).

Of course, we’d expect some more price adjustments before sales start at the Harry Macklowe/CIM project (although Ms. Olshan said that the building is due to come on the market as soon as this fall!). So what kinds of luxuries and amenities can residents at the 117-unit building expect? Designed by Rafael Viñoly with interiors by Deborah Berke, the building is set to offer residents onsite housekeeping, valet parking, a 75-foot pool, a yoga studio, a fitness center, a billiards room, a children’s playroom, a screening room, six elevators, a landscaped sculpture garden and a a 64-seat private restaurant that opens onto a huge terrace. Also, owners will be able to buy offices below the 34th floor for those who hate to walk/take a Town Car to work. Not that anyone will be seeing any of these touches anytime soon. The building is not expected to be finished until 2015.

http://olshan.com/marketreport.php

Some of the design features are dramatic: 12 ½ -foot ceilings and huge picture windows that measure 10-feet wide and 10-feet tall, providing panoramic views of Central Park and the rivers above the 55th floor. 432 Park has a robust amenity package that includes doormen, concierge, onsite housekeeping, valet parking, a 75-foot pool, fitness center, yoga studio, children's playroom, a screening room, billiards room, and a 64-seat private restaurant that opens onto a huge terrace.

The condo takes great care to offer privacy and comfort with 6 elevators and a lobby on 56th Street between Park and Madison. There will also be a landscaped sculpture garden. My sources tell me that the blended average asking price will be $5,800/square foot. The building is due to come on the market this fall but it won’t be completed until 2015.

Onn
Sep 4, 2012, 8:04 PM

Heck yes, that's what we've been waiting for. :D

WonderlandPark
Sep 4, 2012, 8:09 PM
I have not heard this before (from the article)

"owners will be able to buy offices below the 34th floor" ???

NewYorkDominates
Sep 4, 2012, 9:31 PM
http://tommytoy.typepad.com/.a/6a0133f3a4072c970b01539287af63970b-800wi
STR

I haven't seen the image to the left.New?

Edit:It belongs to STR

NYC GUY
Sep 4, 2012, 9:48 PM
^^^
That's a rendering STR made a while ago.

Dac150
Sep 5, 2012, 12:09 AM

That's great to hear - now I can comfortably look forward to watching this one rise!

THE BIG APPLE
Sep 5, 2012, 3:48 AM
I can uncomfortably watch this building lacerate the NYC skyline.

gramsjdg
Sep 5, 2012, 5:18 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this baby to break the 1400 ft mark -I have a feeling the 1398 ft number is a little bit of a teaser...:fingerscrossed:

jd3189
Sep 5, 2012, 9:26 AM
I can uncomfortably watch this building lacerate the NYC skyline.

It's not that bad. At least it will give NYC a great reason to extend the skyline ever upward with new, better towers. 432 Park is our key to getting a 2,000 foot building some time in the future.

MrSlippery519
Sep 5, 2012, 2:22 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this baby to break the 1400 ft mark -I have a feeling the 1398 ft number is a little bit of a teaser...:fingerscrossed:

Or it's the top floor much like One57, the filings showed it as 951ft (cant remember the exact number) and it's in fact 1005ft

FrancoRey
Sep 5, 2012, 2:28 PM
Actually I'm fairly certain this height will stay exactly as it is; you can't tell me that the address of this building and the height (in meters) is a coincidence!

If they're gonna make it taller, they're gonna have to change the address too. ;)

hunser
Sep 5, 2012, 2:29 PM
Or it's the top floor much like One57, the filings showed it as 951ft (cant remember the exact number) and it's in fact 1005ft

Guys read... the filings listed the roof as 1398' and not the last occupied floor. But that doesn't mean it's final as we all know DOB filings can change.

Actually I'm fairly certain this height will stay exactly as it is; you can't tell me that the address of this building and the height (in meters) is a coincidence!

If they're gonna make it taller, they're gonna have to change the address too. ;)

1,398ft /= 432m, that's why people think that the final height will be 1,417'. And again, that rumor (432 PA --> 432m) has been around since the very beginning. Read the first couple of pages lol.

NYguy
Sep 5, 2012, 3:44 PM
I have a feeling the 1398 ft number is a little bit of a teaser...:fingerscrossed:

That's just listed as the parapet height. Could there be something on the roof to extend the height 20 ft or so above? Always possible.