HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

The City of Lougheed Tower One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 11:57 PM

[Burnaby] City of Lougheed | Phase 1 Completed

Thought I'd start a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Article on Lougheed Town Centre redevelopment.

Strange, but it sounds like there will be less commercial space (office) than Brentwood, even though it's at the convergence of 2 SkyTrain lines. It sounds like a largely residential neighbourhood, especially if they are concentrating residential near the station.

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/lough...tages-1.932034

Quote:
Story from last Spring regarding Shape's plans:

Quote:
Part of the initial proposal includes an "iconic roof" over a new transit plaza area, which will be over the expanded bus loop currently sitting between Lougheed Town Centre's SkyTrain station
and the Sears outlet. The plaza may include on-street bus stops, shops, services and a bike centre.
See more at: http://www.burnabynow.com/news/lough....ZzlV3sre.dpuf

Open House Display Panels:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...77412846,d.cGE

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 12:10 AM

New leasing plans on Shape's Lougheed Town Centre website:

http://www.shapeproperties.com/our-places/lougheed

http://www.shapeproperties.com/sites...heed_new_0.pdf

Is Bartlett Crescent a new road?
Note all the dashed squares representing/suggesting future towers.

Note the tent over the Transit Plaza.
Note new Food Store (orange) and extended Gatineau Place (Gatineau Boulevard).
Note that Hudson's Bay is gone (?) and the mall extended to Austin Rd to a plaza.
Looks like there's a pedestrian bridge (with steps) over Austin Rd to the Transit Plaza.

Lots of smaller anchor stores.

The large yellow dumbbell shaped block looks like a new upper level with a food court (accessed by escalators from the upper mall).

Note the first cluster of 4 towers on North Road.
Also the glass galleria into the mall from the plaza.

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 28, 2014 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 12:10 AM
BANNED

My oh my.... The next news headlines will be high vacancy of retail space

Honestly, Vancouverites can't really afford to splurge much on shopping, only Richmond Centre will thrive with the number of Chinese tourists & Chinese immigrants go shopping in that mall

It's the same person in charge for the marketing of the new retail leasing spaces.. Maria Holly for Brentwood Redevelopment: Fashion & Lougheed Redevelopment

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 12:36 AM

I couldn't make out from the plans if it will have really tall buildings, like Brentwood.
At any rate, it all seems pretty exciting, and very much in keeping with the development and enhancement of the Town Centre concept, a trademark of metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 9:20 PM

Brentwood's redevelopment will suck up East Van/north Burnaby shoppers, and Metrotown of course attracts shoppers from across Metro Vancouver. That means that Lougheed will be targeting northeast Burnaby and Burquitlam, but they already have Coquitlam Centre.

I worry that Lougheed will tip the market into oversaturation like AudiA3 said.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 10:10 PM

Looking at the plans, I see WalMart and a bunch of "power centre" type anchors
- I don't see a space big enough for Hudson's Bay. That seems to indicate a repositioning of Lougheed Mall.

Which raises the question - would Hudson's Bay move to Brentwood (also owned by Shape Properties)
(i.e. the 3 storey Sears (former Eaton's) space? or even the new underground space presumably meant for Target?)

That would leave the Hudson's Bay at Coquitlam Centre to serve the northeast sector.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Brentwood's redevelopment will suck up East Van/north Burnaby shoppers, and Metrotown of course attracts shoppers from across Metro Vancouver. That means that Lougheed will be targeting northeast Burnaby and Burquitlam, but they already have Coquitlam Centre.

Good, then centralised retail rental and lease prices can finally come down and we can enjoy a wider range of services. At least cities outside Vancouver are heading towards the right direction.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Looking at the plans, I see WalMart and a bunch of "power centre" type anchors
- I don't see a space big enough for Hudson's Bay. That seems to indicate a repositioning of Lougheed Mall.

Which raises the question - would Hudson's Bay move to Brentwood (also owned by Shape Properties)
(i.e. the 3 storey Sears (former Eaton's) space? or even the new underground space presumably meant for Target?)

That would leave the Hudson's Bay at Coquitlam Centre to serve the northeast sector.
Would not be surprised if HBC left Lougheed, it's their worst preforming store in the metro region

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 4:50 AM

Given its strong Korean-Canadian business base, that area is always so busy and that isn't going away anytime soon. But it's a pain to navigate--and it's not just due to Evergreen construction. Do people take a stroll from Walmart to, say, H-Mart (or vice versa)? Lougheed is still a busier area than Brentwood.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:52 AM

there are a lot of pedestrians up and down north road, i've walked it many times myself, its not that bad but not that pedestrian friendly

I always envisioned a korean retailer to open a flagship at lougheed town centre, maybe a branch of an established korean dept store

the area could use a movie theatre too, maybe one that plays a few korean titles, the silvercity in coquitlam often shows the odd korean movie but not on a regular basis, it could do what strawberry hill does that has at least 3 or so bollywood titles mixed in with the rest

whatever happens that mall is deader everytime i go back, it does have one of my favourite food courts though, selection wise, not so much environment wise

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:59 PM

I'm just excited because Steve Nash Fitness World will move into the mall. Finding parking will be so much easier.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Lougheed Mall Redevelopment by Shape Properties – 9855 Austin Rd, Burnaby, BC

Quote:

Do you think that Brentwood will also attract people from North Vancouver?

Last edited by AudiA3; Jan 9, 2015 at 1:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 5:54 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA3 View Post
Do you think that Brentwood will also attract people from North Vancouver?
It already does. If you live on the eastern half of the north shore and it's not rush hour, Brentwood is just as easy to get to as Capilano mall or Park Royal. I bought my last pair of glasses there before getting laser surgery, FedEx packages for me get dropped on Dawson st, If you want to go to The Keg or Joey's or Costco, Brentwood's the easiest. I'm sure we'll go a lot more when everything's done too. It's illogical to think of it as far away just because there's a bridge in between. North Burnaby and east North Van are even in the same federal voting district now.

Lynn Valley Centre is getting a nice reno too but not on the scale of Brentwood, so it will remain a Lynn Valley residents-only destination.

edit: thought this was the Brentwood thread, silly me.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the area could use a movie theatre too, maybe one that plays a few korean titles, the silvercity in coquitlam often shows the odd korean movie but not on a regular basis, it could do what strawberry hill does that has at least 3 or so bollywood titles mixed in with the rest
That would be ironic. When I grew up that mall had one of the largest movie theatres in the region. It was in the area that now houses BMO and that sports store next to London drugs. Back then London Drugs and Walmart were the two floors of Woolco. How times change.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 2:34 AM

ueah i saw few movies there back in the day, it was in a convenient spot for sure

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Would not be surprised if HBC left Lougheed, it's their worst preforming store in the metro region
it should be as it is a clearance center with little to no staff or stock

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I'm just excited because Steve Nash Fitness World will move into the mall. Finding parking will be so much easier.
I wonder what hey are getting. s I thought orginally they were just geting space. so 1 or 2 month turn around. 6 months later still not open

so either thy got a great deal or are building a super gym

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 11:12 PM

will the gym take up all those store fronts? thats a lot of space, I was surprised to see payless shoes shutdown and didn't open elsewhere in the mall

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 10:45 PM

Steve Nash Fitness World is shown in green on the 168' and 187' floorplans above (unless that's a different location)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Having lived outthat way, if that counts for anything, I think it could tip it into oversaturation ... but .....
if Loughed really densifies with taller buildings, more buildings (I'm talking primarily residential, but office, too), increases its population to about Brentwood, and gets big enough to be a truly major town centre, perhaps there's a way around the problem. And maybe a roster of "haute gamme" stores not found in some others? (a small Alberni?) Cartier, etc?? if possible....
Now and in the immediate future, perhaps no more shopping centers for a while yet ...

Last edited by trofirhen; Jan 15, 2015 at 1:10 AM. Reason: Swedish verb endings

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley