HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
Actually I think he's correct. Most people with an IQ over 75 are getting fed up with how the left are systematically destroying all of western civilization. He's not alone, its just that were to polite to usually tell the left to shut the hell up, But were all reaching that point now.

I notice that there is a direct correlation between people with post secondary education, and the decline in support for far right politicians.

At any rate, what on Earth does this have to do with a residential complex in downtown Winnipeg? Or this a Kamloops thing?

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 24, 2023 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 8:05 PM
BANNED

well that was redundant

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Replace "the left" with "Jews and Communists" and it will line up to what Hitler and the Nazi Party were stating in 1930.

I also notice that there is a direct correlation between people with post secondary education, and the decline in support for far right politicians.

At any rate, what on Earth does this have to do with a residential complex in downtown Winnipeg? Or this a Kamloops thing?
Yeah, this discussion really belongs in the "what's wrong with Canada these days?" thread

Getting back on topic at least somewhat, I'll never understand why every rendering is geometrically exagerrated. This one is particularly bad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 10:03 PM
Create and Conquer

They're done in 2-point perspective so that the entire building's height can be shown off from street level without foreshortening. (and for sex appeal)

It looks comical at times on taller buildings, but taller buildings are also when two point perspective is the most useful for design demonstration.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 5:10 AM
surely you agree with me

our eye sees vertical lines as vertical. A two point perspective slopes the vertical lines which can look unnatural. Taller buildings are a challenge because they can begin to look like they are falling over.....this one isn't so bad because the building isn't that tall.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 5:14 AM
surely you agree with me

The moral of the story for this building is to build as fast as you can. The longer it takes the more risk there is and the more expensive it becomes. Especially today, value engineering is one step forward two steps back.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:36 PM

From the Bankruptcy trustees web site

Future Viability of Project Uncertain

52. The viability of the Project, even if completed, is uncertain at this time. The current rental rates for apartments and commercial space in the City, do not support the feasibility of the Project for the capital deployed and would require further Project subsidies for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:44 PM

The Earnst and Young report has all the costs to date and shows how the prices have gone up

https://documentcentre.ey.com/api/Do...72&language=EN

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Someone's still paying for that big expensive crane to sit idle on site.

Wonder if Access Credit Union will have to take over the project if the owner doesn't find a buyer soon, as Caisse did when D Condos dragged on.
Right now they owe Steinbach CU over $12 million. From what I see the developer has not yet drawn any money from Access CU's construction loan.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 11:58 PM

At this point, could the Government offer incentives for a developer to finish off the project. It seems like such a waste to have it sit there, for perhaps year, without some company to step in and take it over.

I wonder if TNSE would be willing to step up to the plate?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 12:29 AM
surely you agree with me

He was refused the TIF because he had a foundation permit by the time the program was released. Rejected by the mayor’s office. Could probably get it now that the project has stopped.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
From the Bankruptcy trustees web site

Future Viability of Project Uncertain

52. The viability of the Project, even if completed, is uncertain at this time. The current rental rates for apartments and commercial space in the City, do not support the feasibility of the Project for the capital deployed and would require further Project subsidies for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the link. I didn't see a payback timeline, so I wonder how EY justify that statement. Rents are pretty high for new builds.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
He was refused the TIF because he had a foundation permit by the time the program was released. Rejected by the mayor’s office. Could probably get it now that the project has stopped.
Yeah it looks pretty bad to have two unfinished acre-wide foundations in the middle of downtown, I am willing to bet it is being discussed at city hall.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 5:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiToNDREyJA View Post
They're done in 2-point perspective so that the entire building's height can be shown off from street level without foreshortening. (and for sex appeal)

It looks comical at times on taller buildings, but taller buildings are also when two point perspective is the most useful for design demonstration.
The way every highrise and skyscraper is depicted never represents what the building will actually look like so we're all subtly being lied too so I think there must be something in the human psyche that finds the exagerrated 2 point perspective appealing because why else would they do it? I'm sure it would be just as easy if not easier to actually depict what the building will look like rather than the visual hyperbole we're always subjected to in these pictures

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Yeah it looks pretty bad to have two unfinished acre-wide foundations in the middle of downtown, I am willing to bet it is being discussed at city hall.
They need to discuss it. It is horrible optics for the CBD.

As for the Sutton Hotel, why would anyone want to stay there? It would suck to go outside after dark, as crime is a big concern, and it's too far from the river.

The city should learn that the rivers are out biggest asset, and to build along it. People have asked me where they should stay in Winnipeg, and I respond "not downtown" lol.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
As for the Sutton Hotel, why would anyone want to stay there? It would suck to go outside after dark, as crime is a big concern, and it's too far from the river.

The city should learn that the rivers are out biggest asset, and to build along it. People have asked me where they should stay in Winnipeg, and I respond "not downtown" lol.
A major impetus for the hotel is to support the Convention Centre which is why it's being built where it is. Having that hotel attached would help it draw events. Not to mention all of the other things that the Sutton Place would be close to if/when it is ever actually built.

For most visitors, staying anywhere other than downtown is going to be a hassle IMO, unless you have some specific reason to be in some other location.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 1:53 PM

The downtown isn’t anywhere near as unsafe as the fearmongering media would have you believe

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 2:14 PM

Agreed. I typically recommend people stay at the Inn at the Forks (1) and either the Fairmont or Fort Garry. I’ve said it before, but I wish someone would build a hotel in Osborne Village. Given Sutton Place, I know it’s unlikely but still. Something on a similar level to the Mere would be great.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Agreed. I typically recommend people stay at the Inn at the Forks (1) and either the Fairmont or Fort Garry. I’ve said it before, but I wish someone would build a hotel in Osborne Village. Given Sutton Place, I know it’s unlikely but still. Something on a similar level to the Mere would be great.
I always thought it was unfortunate that an area as interesting as Osborne Village doesn't have a proper hotel. Putting one somewhere in that stretch between Stradbrook and Corydon would be perfect. Right where the fire station is would be a perfect spot.

It would also be nice if the Exchange District had a proper hotel of its own... I know there is Mere, but it is more of a riverside hotel. The Fairmont is also on the margins of the area. And the Mariaggi is more of a niche product than a mainstream hotel. A nice, proper hotel filling in one of the surface lots on Albert or McDermot would be a great addition to the area.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:21 PM

There's a lone sole on site today cleaning up pieces of wood and such. I thought maybe he was working on dismantling the crane. But seems like he's just cleaning up.

The site is basically empty besides the crane and the few pieces of precast that were delivered but not installed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan