HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 6:27 PM

Longtime lurker, first time poster, here.
What is the reason Southland DR. is posted with 90 Ave exit? Google maps doesn't show a connection other than a tour thru the neighbourhoods. When/how is this "connector" to be built?
Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
We have some new photos of the SW leg from last month. There's seven photos in total.

???

Source: http://www.swcrrproject.com/media-centre/photo-gallery/
What are those huge poles in the left of the photo?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
They look like (Enmax?) utility poles to me for high voltage transmission lines.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:06 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Enmax Powerline

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuler View Post
What is the reason Southland DR. is posted with 90 Ave exit? Google maps doesn't show a connection other than a tour thru the neighbourhoods. When/how is this "connector" to be built?
Thanks in advance.
According to Open Street Map, the Southland connector to 90th Avenue is already open. Google is probably still behind on updates. Construction was done last year already.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuler View Post
Thanks in advance.
The SWCRR website shows the connection of Southland Drive to 90th Ave. http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte...nderson-Rd.pdf

My assumption is that the 90th Ave and Anderson exits are too close together to have an intermediate exit for Southland Drive.

The interconect to Southland Drive was completed by the city in 2019:

Description:
  • Connecting 90 Avenue SW and Southland Drive directly to the SWRR
  • Widening Southland Drive from two to four lanes between Oakmoor Way and Oakfield Drive SW to match the rest of the roadway
  • Creating pathway connections under 90 Avenue SW and Southland Drive, creating a safe and uninterrupted pathway (through well lit underpasses ) between communities, the current off-leash dog park, as well as South Glenmore and Fish Creek parks
  • Installing traffic signals and a pedestrian crossing at the Southland Drive and Oakfield Drive SW intersection
  • Installation of noise barriers along Southland Drive between Oakfield Drive and Oakmoor Way

Construction timeline: 2018 – Fall 2019

(from the City website) https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...-projects.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Enmax Powerline
What is that massive hole for between the two roadways? Is there something buried in that area and for whatever reason they haven't covered it up yet? Maybe it is covered up by now. When I drove down there last Saturday I paying attention to the signage more than anything else.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 10:58 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

The opened section is now shown on google map.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 5:53 AM

I can't exactly say I have posted on here before, so I am relatively new. I have a question for anyone who knows. Does anyone know exactly why they think the Fish Creek Blvd to 22X and the north bridge over MacLeod will supposedly take until Oct. 2021 to complete if KGL's PDF files show the rest of the 22X corridor done by the end of 2020? That seems like an awful long time to complete a road that already mostly exists right now.

Have to say though I think I'm already getting my money's worth out of this thing. It's my go-to route for anywhere west now basically and my L/100 is dropping fast because of not using crappy 14th or MacLeod as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The opened section is now shown on google map.
Glad to see it too because I couldn't contain my excitement and sent them a bunch of reports the few days after it opened. Did the same for Apple Maps... but they move at a snails pace.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N McCity View Post
I can't exactly say I have posted on here before, so I am relatively new. I have a question for anyone who knows. Does anyone know exactly why they think the Fish Creek Blvd to 22X and the north bridge over MacLeod will supposedly take until Oct. 2021 to complete if KGL's PDF files show the rest of the 22X corridor done by the end of 2020? That seems like an awful long time to complete a road that already mostly exists right now.
I have the same question, all I can think is KGL needs the asphalt plant for whatever rehabilitative work they are doing on westbound bridges over Macleod. Not knowing how access is made to the plant but maybe it is off the right of way, this is only a wild guess.

Also noticed the city has put up a temporary traffic camera at Fish Creek/McKevitt to monitor the increase traffic.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ham View Post
I have the same question, all I can think is KGL needs the asphalt plant for whatever rehabilitative work they are doing on westbound bridges over Macleod. Not knowing how access is made to the plant but maybe it is off the right of way, this is only a wild guess.
I would guess that work will slow down over the winter and hope that new sections could start opening over the early summer, with full completion by the fall. (Or, more likely, they will have a big media event and open it all in one go)!

Quote:
Also noticed the city has put up a temporary traffic camera at Fish Creek/McKevitt to monitor the increase traffic.
Fish Creek Blvd has definitely become busier since the new Tsuut'ina Trail sections opened.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykie View Post
Can you clarify what you're talking about here? I think I know what you're talking about, and you have to actively veer your car to the right to enter that lane to exit. You can stay in your lane, do nothing and you've successfully avoided the EB-NB loop ramp.

That's literally all the team was asking for, and all I asked for... as opposed to the team asking the forum for them to be taken down. And yet I have "ruined the forum and driven away the best contributor."

If he doesn't want to post the images with a simple credit and chooses some other board that's unfortunate, but you're all more than welcome to view the updates at their source on https://westringroad.ca/
Should have clarified: the exit to Anderson from TsuuTina south, has a sudden exit on one of it's lanes to TsuuTina north. It's easy to avoid, but if you aren't paying THAT much attention it's likely you will end up at TsuuTina again unintentionally.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
I would guess that work will slow down over the winter and hope that new sections could start opening over the early summer, with full completion by the fall. (Or, more likely, they will have a big media event and open it all in one go)!
This could be the case.

Judging by the naked eye though, the bridges are all done, the road looks just about fully paved, and the lines are painted somewhat into the closed portion. I just don't see a year's worth of work left.

Thankfully that stretch of the road would me mostly unimportant to me anyway.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:25 PM

It's a small thing, but I was impressed how smooth the new stretch of road is. Not just the asphalt, but the bridge joints too. You can barely tell you're going onto a bridge.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It's a small thing, but I was impressed how smooth the new stretch of road is. Not just the asphalt, but the bridge joints too. You can barely tell you're going onto a bridge.
For how long though?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:40 PM

Due to the arguments, it'd be better if you don't post them, and forward the e-mail to those who want to see them.

There are other pics out there that can be credited without causing arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What happened to my post from last night pointing out that the email updates being sent out for the West leg are not sourced and give no indication who's behind the info nor where it's coming from? Since we've already wasted a ton of time on this issue let's resolve it and not assign blame to me because I'm not accepting it. The info I was posting was coming from emails NOT the website and that was clearly stated. This is key. Do I need to start a new thread to deal with how to correctly cite and reference content? If Mykie and his "team" want to be anal about this then let's play.

Thanks for banning Suburbia once again even though I'm sure he'll be back minus a couple more letters. lol

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
For how long though?
Haha, for sure...but it's only notable because the NE and SE sections weren't as smooth when they opened.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
Due to the arguments, it'd be better if you don't post them, and forward the e-mail to those who want to see them.

There are other pics out there that can be credited without causing arguments.
Someone else posted some content from the newsletter a few weeks ago and nothing was said. This week's update had nothing of significance as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Haha, for sure...but it's only notable because the NE and SE sections weren't as smooth when they opened.
I think we got what we paid for in the S.E. I'm still amazed that they were able to build that large stretch for just $769 million.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 10:51 PM

I was digging through the City's website last night and stumbled upon some info that I've never seen discussed before. It looks like for 2019 to 2022 the City is going to be asked to spend $106.50 million on improvements to 201 in the N.W. I take it this means completing and building new interchanges (three in total?).

Funding from Pay-As-You-Go: $41.7135 million
Developer & Other Contributions: $64.7865 million
Operating Impact of Capital: None

Does anyone know what "Other Contributions" entails?

Source: https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...ns/streets.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure