HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 7:52 PM

Smile Spire update video online.

Hiya Spirefriends and Spirefans,

after a while it was time again for a new update video for the awesome Spire:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2GOySS23H6I

Music: R.I.O. - Shine On (Mondo Remix)

Make sure to watch it in High Quality for the full experience. Enjoy

PS: Thought that uplifting song would lighten up some of our fellow posters moods

Last edited by andydie; Sep 16, 2008 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 4:03 PM

are they waiting for the new cuntraktor ?
or wats going on ?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153876
end here is my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/people/henrikkarlskoga/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
are they waiting for the new cuntraktor ?
or wats going on ?
Vanhenrik!

You really, really need to read people's posts before you ask the same questions.

No general contractor has been chosed yet, or if they have, the name hasn't been released.

Utility work is supposed to begin by months end.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Vanhenrik!

You really, really need to read people's posts before you ask the same questions.

No general contractor has been chosed yet, or if they have, the name hasn't been released.

Utility work is supposed to begin by months end.
thanx Victor for your patience and your really solid infos about the Project. Some people 1st need to read the infos on here and 2ndly have to take the size of the project into account before rushing to conclusions. Good example the Freedom Tower. After all this time its just reached street level. Projects as big as these need TIME, Planning and you have to find contractors who are able to do handle the tasks.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 6:51 PM

Utility work? Beginning at the end of the month? Thanks for this info then, at least we finally have something to look forward to, a timetable or "time horizon" (i love that term). Better than not knowing what's gonna happen next while just staring at the same old hole (lol) for weeks.

Yeah, Freedom Tower was on this stage for years; it only looked busy because it's a big-ass site after all that encompasses the whole WTC complex, but the tower itself, stayed on the ground for a bit. I'm not so surprised that the Spire is taking long as well...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 8:00 PM

Ummmmm... Bvictor told us about the utility work long ago and its been mentioned MANY times in people's responses.

People- Please take a few minutes to read up on the project a little bit... just a little bit! before posting and asking questions.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
thanx Victor for your patience and your really solid infos about the Project.
thanks. im working on the patience part. i've been told that i have the tendency to be an ass (which i don't think i am). so until people become down right stupid, ill try to be on my best behavior

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Is there any chance whatsoever that this project is getting scaled back a little bit in light of the current challenges and uncertainties? I really hope that isn't happening, but has that happened with other developments in the past that have reached snags at similar phases in the building's construction?
No I dont think there is such a chance at all, so dont worry!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 10:50 PM

I think Shelbourne updates a link for what's next on this project, but not sure how to find it. If anyone know's the link, can you post it?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 12:17 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
There is no car traffic around the Spire other than a cab drop off I think.
Or limousines

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Any guesses as to what the chances are of that sweet pedestrian bridge being built?
But it doesn't even reach the south bank of the river! Looks dangerous. Just kidding...I hope they build it, too!

ô¿ô

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
thanks. im working on the patience part. i've been told that i have the tendency to be an ass (which i don't think i am). so until people become down right stupid, ill try to be on my best behavior
Let's all test Vic's patience and see how long he can last, I'll start.

Hey Vic, when does the utility work start

Ok, for real though, just to clear things up, I thought utility work had started in earnest a few weeks back. Was that utility work in the surrounding neighborhood (or maybe at the substation or something) and now we are looking forward to actual utility work on the site?

Also, and maybe a dumb question, does utility work include laying the groundwork for elevators or is that something that cannot be done until the underground parking structure has been completed?
"Chicago doesn't need Bryant to feel like a big-time player, just as it doesn't need Donald Trump to build a tower downtown to feel adequate. Nice that Trump's doing it, but when you have the Sears Tower and the Hancock building, you're pretty secure with who you are. And when somebody named Michael Jordan has graced your presence, somebody named Kobe Bryant isn't going to shake your world." Rick Morrissey, 2007

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck4ABigChicago View Post

Also, and maybe a dumb question, does utility work include laying the groundwork for elevators or is that something that cannot be done until the underground parking structure has been completed?
The elevator shafts will likely be part of the process during construction of the parkade itself. Utility work would be pretty much just getting the power, water, and sewage lines to where they will run into the building, or more specifically where they will end until the parkade is at least a floor or two down and they are brought the rest of the way into the parkade.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 2:08 AM

To what extent does Mayor Daly and the part of Chicago city government in charge of development facilitate big deal negotiations like those between Kellaher and prospective general contractors for The Spire, especially with the decision about where to locate the 2016 Summer Olympics looming next year? Chicago is already magnificent, but having The Spire proceed smoothly might enhance its chances.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 2:35 AM

Hey guys, calm down. Utility work can take about three months before you see anything happening. There are huge pipes for water and sewage that need to be brought to the site. The electricity is already done. Also, you may see this project rising up without a general contractor. The way things are going right now the Chicago Spire is getting bids on different jobs, but they have there own idea of the cost. So if they don't like the bids, they'll do the jobs themselves. So far they've saved millions of dollars of not purchasing the iron ahead, because international prices have fallen. So don't worry if you don't see anything major going on for the next few months. Just because we don't see it, it doesn't mean they are not working.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24705371@N05/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary78 View Post
Hey guys, calm down. Utility work can take about three months before you see anything happening. There are huge pipes for water and sewage that need to be brought to the site. The electricity is already done. Also, you may see this project rising up without a general contractor. The way things are going right now the Chicago Spire is getting bids on different jobs, but they have there own idea of the cost. So if they don't like the bids, they'll do the jobs themselves. So far they've saved millions of dollars of not purchasing the iron ahead, because international prices have fallen. So don't worry if you don't see anything major going on for the next few months. Just because we don't see it, it doesn't mean they are not working.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24705371@N05/
..hey .........my kind of guy !!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 10:35 AM

Sept 15 - am

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series
2008 Q3 series

Air presssure pipe on the left, sump pump hose on the right.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 4:51 PM
c h i c a g o

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary78 View Post
The way things are going right now the Chicago Spire is getting bids on different jobs, but they have there own idea of the cost. So if they don't like the bids, they'll do the jobs themselves.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your statement but Shelbourne isn't a construction company. They still have to hire subs to do the work.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 5:43 PM

Wouldn't Shelbourne hire the "general contractor" who then would hire the "subs"?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 6:00 PM

New signage

I just snapped this:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 6:03 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

^^ I hope they dont leave it like that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects