|446 East North Water Street|
Chicago IL United States
|Floor Area||81,470 m²|
|Units / Rooms||1,300|
| - residential|
| - highrise|
| - twist-scraper|
| - structural expressionism|
| - futurism|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - aluminium|
| - concrete, reinforced|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
|Top floor||1865 ft||CTBUH|
• Architect: Santiago Calatrava SA.
• Constructors: Shelbourne Development Ltd., Santiago Calatrava S.A., Buro Happold Consulting Engineers, P.C., Thornton Tomasetti, Inc., Cosentini Associates, STS, Budron Excavating Company, Inc., Case Foundation Company, Barker Mohandas, LLC, Van Deusen & Associates, The Prairie Group, Gerdau, FPD Savills.
• Will be the tallest building in the United States as and the Western Hemisphere when built. It will have the highest elevator run in the world.
• Ground was broken in July 2007 with the installation of 32 reinforced concrete caissons. Once complete, the Chicago Spire will surpass the Sears Tower as the tallest building in Chicago as well as Taipei 101 in roof height.
• Inspired by natural forms, each floor of the tower projects seven arms from the central vertical axis - each having a concave edge. As the tower rises, each floor rotates approximately 2 degrees in plan while the length of the radial arms also diminish, forming a tapered tower which twists 270° from the base to the roof. The result is a graceful spiral not unlike shells of the natural world. In addition, the character of the building's spiraled shape allows for better dispersement of applied wind forces which is an obvious advantage for any tall structure.
• Located at the edge of Lake Michigan, residents and guests of the five-star hotel will have incomparable views of the city and the lake front.
• During huge financial crises due mortgages at North-America in 2008, the construction is decreased substancially, culminating on-hold situation for some time, leaving only a round hole basement on floor site.
• In October 2010 Shelbourne Development Ltd. was sued by Anglo Irish Bank Corp which gave Shelbourne the money to develop the project. As a result the project has gone into foreclosure effectively cancelling the project.
• Google Search