HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6821  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 8:44 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
OC Transpo is running about 90% of its pre-pandemic [bus] service hours. A significant chunk of that is the ongoing suspension and reduction of Connexion services, with some other reductions scattered across the rest of the system.
Thanks. I have not seen this specifically reported anywhere. This helps assess the situation better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6822  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 6:14 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Staples Station, I mean, St. Laurent Station.


https://twitter.com/occtranspo/status/1677281127956983810?s=46&t=Scs2cP14HrhyBkqKsiaZ0Q

Was that all temporary until they could get funding for the red piping structures? How long was it like this?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6823  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 9:00 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
Was this the early days of the Transitway when St. Laurent was the end of the line, and before it was extended to Blair Road?

St. Laurent station opened on November 17, 1987 while Blair Station opened on June 23, 1989.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6824  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:50 PM
eltodesukane eltodesukane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,146
Bus stops and playgrounds are too damn hot
(Vox, Jul 6, 2023, By Rebecca Leber)
https://www.vox.com/climate/23742227/bus-stops-playgrounds-summer-heatwaves-shade
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6825  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 1:29 AM
ponyboycurtis's Avatar
ponyboycurtis ponyboycurtis is offline
Cigritbutt enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Blahttawa
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Staples Station, I mean, St. Laurent Station.


https://twitter.com/occtranspo/status/1677281127956983810?s=46&t=Scs2cP14HrhyBkqKsiaZ0Q

Was that all temporary until they could get funding for the red piping structures? How long was it like this?
That's an interesting photo. My childhood buses.
__________________
I don't understand how communism works.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6826  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 6:10 AM
ponyboycurtis's Avatar
ponyboycurtis ponyboycurtis is offline
Cigritbutt enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Blahttawa
Posts: 1,689
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-bus-pedestrian-crash-injured-1.6912497

We got another one.

I've lost count of the bodies OC Transpo has racked up just in the last dozen years or so.

🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 big time.
__________________
I don't understand how communism works.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6827  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 12:42 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-bus-pedestrian-crash-injured-1.6912497

We got another one.

I've lost count of the bodies OC Transpo has racked up just in the last dozen years or so.

🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 big time.
Proportionally, it's probably far fewer pedestrian deaths, or occupants of vehicle deaths, than private automobiles (and pickups, and SUVs). Though I would like some stats.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6828  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 2:52 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Proportionally, it's probably far fewer pedestrian deaths, or occupants of vehicle deaths, than private automobiles (and pickups, and SUVs). Though I would like some stats.
And also, stats for other transit services.
__________________
___
Enjoy my taxes, Orleans (and Kanata?).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6829  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 2:57 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,920
If it was an R1 it must have been turning left. That intersection has no obstructions, I can't imagine how a pedestrian could not be very visible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6830  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 3:30 PM
zzptichka zzptichka is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Outaouias
Posts: 2,399
Awful. Shouldn't have closed the LRT. The chance of somebody dying on a train with 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 bearings is an order of magnitude lower than somebody getting run over by a replacement bus. I bet that decision to shut it down was forced by some liability 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6831  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 5:41 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Awful. Shouldn't have closed the LRT. The chance of somebody dying on a train with 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 bearings is an order of magnitude lower than somebody getting run over by a replacement bus. I bet that decision to shut it down was forced by some liability 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
That's one way to look at it. Shutting down the service resulted in one death and fifty or so cases of mental trauma from witnessing the accident and aftermath.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6832  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 6:20 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Awful. Shouldn't have closed the LRT. The chance of somebody dying on a train with 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 bearings is an order of magnitude lower than somebody getting run over by a replacement bus. I bet that decision to shut it down was forced by some liability 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Do you have any statistics to prove that? Thousands of busses run every day without incident. We were lucky that there were no significant casualties from the two derailments we have had so far. Things could have been far worse. Wheel bearings frozen to the point where they turn to molten metal are nothing to be trifled with.
__________________
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6833  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 6:44 PM
zzptichka zzptichka is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Outaouias
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Do you have any statistics to prove that? Thousands of busses run every day without incident. We were lucky that there were no significant casualties from the two derailments we have had so far. Things could have been far worse. Wheel bearings frozen to the point where they turn to molten metal are nothing to be trifled with.
In 10 years nine people died and several were crippled just on OC buses themselves (VIA & Westboro). As well as several pedestrians from the top of my head. Sounds pretty bad to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6834  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 8:45 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
In 10 years nine people died and several were crippled just on OC buses themselves (VIA & Westboro). As well as several pedestrians from the top of my head. Sounds pretty bad to me.
I'm not saying that is a great record, but we were very close to having dozens of people killed or seriously injured had the second derailment occurred on one of the nearby bridges. A train sinking to the bottom of the Rideau river with passengers onboard would not have ended well, nor would it falling onto the Vanier Parkway.
__________________
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6835  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 10:39 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I'm not saying that is a great record, but we were very close to having dozens of people killed or seriously injured had the second derailment occurred on one of the nearby bridges. A train sinking to the bottom of the Rideau river with passengers onboard would not have ended well, nor would it falling onto the Vanier Parkway.
I am pretty sure that is not how derailments work. It could cause some injuries, but the train is not going to turn into ET’s bicycle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6836  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 11:06 PM
ponyboycurtis's Avatar
ponyboycurtis ponyboycurtis is offline
Cigritbutt enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Blahttawa
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Proportionally, it's probably far fewer pedestrian deaths, or occupants of vehicle deaths, than private automobiles (and pickups, and SUVs). Though I would like some stats.
That is a fair statement and I will get down with you on that one. But OC has an awful safety record. But hey don't worry. The classiest of newspapers got us covered.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/155z2uw/really_ottawa_sun/

So 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 crass. I am speechless.
__________________
I don't understand how communism works.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6837  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 1:41 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I'm not saying that is a great record, but we were very close to having dozens of people killed or seriously injured had the second derailment occurred on one of the nearby bridges. A train sinking to the bottom of the Rideau river with passengers onboard would not have ended well, nor would it falling onto the Vanier Parkway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I am pretty sure that is not how derailments work. It could cause some injuries, but the train is not going to turn into ET’s bicycle.
Got to agree with acottawa on this one. Train is so freaking slow, a derailment would be nothing more than a "thud", not a "crash".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
That is a fair statement and I will get down with you on that one. But OC has an awful safety record. But hey don't worry. The classiest of newspapers got us covered.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/155z2uw/really_ottawa_sun/

So 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 crass. I am speechless.
Yeah, that's extremely distasteful...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6838  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 1:56 PM
Kitchissippi's Avatar
Kitchissippi Kitchissippi is offline
Busy Beaver
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Got to agree with acottawa on this one. Train is so freaking slow, a derailment would be nothing more than a "thud", not a "crash".
There are some things very close to the tracks like poles and signalling systems that can cause damage and rip into the train though. I was surprised to see how bad the side panel looked in the derailment. I think we were lucky nothing worse happened. What if a derailment happens exactly while there’s another oncoming train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Yeah, that's extremely distasteful...
The Sun also had “Mystery Afoot” when Luka Magnotta was mailing body parts, and “Curds and Woe” after the St Albert cheese factory fire, but that one was truly horrible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6839  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 2:53 PM
YOWetal YOWetal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
There are some things very close to the tracks like poles and signalling systems that can cause damage and rip into the train though. I was surprised to see how bad the side panel looked in the derailment. I think we were lucky nothing worse happened. What if a derailment happens exactly while there’s another oncoming train?
Or coming down hill as it crosses the Rideau River.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6840  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 9:32 AM
ponyboycurtis's Avatar
ponyboycurtis ponyboycurtis is offline
Cigritbutt enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Blahttawa
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
There are some things very close to the tracks like poles and signalling systems that can cause damage and rip into the train though. I was surprised to see how bad the side panel looked in the derailment. I think we were lucky nothing worse happened. What if a derailment happens exactly while there’s another oncoming train?



The Sun also had “Mystery Afoot” when Luka Magnotta was mailing body parts, and “Curds and Woe” after the St Albert cheese factory fire, but that one was truly horrible.
Aw man.. that's awful lol. I'm a pretty corny guy who likes a good pun but this isn't a private discord chat or locker type of talk. Have some decorum. Even if you are a tabloid newspaper.
__________________
I don't understand how communism works.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.