I'm back. I'm moving the discussion here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
It’s Sasamat OR Jericho - all the graphics and documentation make that pretty clear - and they already picked Jericho. Both stations is wishful thinking.
|
TBF, none of them show accurate station locations (or usually any station locations) for the infill station.
It seems the original idea was to put the infill station in the Golf Course lands itself, but threw that idea later on and moved it to West Point Grey Village (probably a good decision.)
So the current plans are Jericho + infill in West Point Grey...
I'm proposing just building the infill station when the rest of the line is built rather than waiting, because it's still useful now.
Quote:
Seeing as Edmonds-Highgate is much less walkable than Jericho? Probably less. If it were just distance and height, it’d be very unpleasant to walk up the Arbutus Greenway for groceries, but it isn’t. And again, Jericho is much shallower if you don’t walk directly up the steepest angle of the slope; that's evidently what the planners have in mind.
And it’s even less convenient to walk from the station to Alma or 4th. Let’s face it – if residents want a change of scenery for dinner, they’ll have to get some exercise.
You call me fast, I call me average. There’s a lot more people that’re in better shape than I am. Joggers, bikers and scooters (all of which Jericho will have ample access to) are definitely much faster.
|
Dunno, I just think you're underestimating distances because of higher walkability (or just being used to it), and if you had a timer, it would show out to be around the same amount of time Google Maps says it is.
My experience is that it's roughly in line with the actual amount of time it takes if you time it if you're walking at a lesiurely pace, and I'm not really a slow walker or out of shape either.
Either way, it doesn't matter that much. If Highgate isn't very convenient for Edmonds residents, neither is W. Point Grey for Jericho.
The experience is nicer, but it's still not going to be a common trip, and people are just going to prefer other destinations.
Plus, the Safeway development's FSR kind of presumes at least some decent transit service up there to service it and future density (if build to that standard or higher), and I don't know if 9 alone would be able to handle it (nor would it be very efficient to have a bus service from Jericho to Sasamat for accessibility reasons.)
Ridership on the 99B on Sasamat is also not
that much lower than that for the Alma Stop (about 15%-20% less.) - Alma is around ~2k boardings/weekday.
Inlet Center Station is also at 2k boardings/weekday, for comparison.
Sasamat should be viable if it is a train station if it's almost viable at its current numbers as a
bus stop.