HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #60221  
Old Posted May 1, 2023, 6:58 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,043
Once more . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
This was a fun one.

The intersection is Whittier Boulevard and Broadway in Whittier.

I found a Burnett's Service station in the 1960s Los Angeles CDs at 800 W Manchester, corner Hoover. But...

Looking closely at e_r's enlargement, there is a sign for a realtor named H. Frederick Les?? - the full name obscured by a post; there appears to be a street number (1727 W.) on the sign as well. Looking for H. Fred in the LA CDs was not helpful. But a search in the LAT found an H. Frederick Lesh in the realty business in Whittier. I then looked at the 1952 Whittier CD and found Burnett's Service Station at 1741 Whittier Blvd. and Lesh Real Estate at 1727 Whittier Blvd.

When I looked for these addresses in GSV, it kept showing me locations in Montebello. Could the streets in Whittier have been renumbered? Indeed they were in 1966, and 1741 Whittier became 11403 Whittier and 1727 became 11435.


EXCELLENT sleuthing, Lorendoc.

I didn't notice Broadway stencilled on the curb until I had finished my post. . otherwise I would have mentioned it.


Good eye in noticing the Liquor sign, Engineeral.
.
     
     
  #60222  
Old Posted May 1, 2023, 7:12 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,043
.
This photograph (and original negative) is listed on eBay by the seller that posted the recently seen Billy Daniels / Mocambo photograph/negative.



"Sunset Blvd 7800 Block Mobilgas Quick Serve Los Angeles CA Original Film Negative 1952"


eBay



The negative shows a bit more than the photograph that was provided by the seller.


I wish they hadn't cut off the house and car on the right.
.
     
     
  #60223  
Old Posted May 1, 2023, 9:04 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725


Interesting that the street sign at that corner is now "7900" Sunset Blvd.

I cannot find the post I previously made one time, but I once posted two accident photos that happened underneath this Quick Serve sign, March 27, 1952, the same year as this above photo.

They are at this USC link HERE.

If you use the magnifier in that link above, the Fairfax Ave. sign, which is the other side of the sign in E_R's photo, is also "7900."

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 1, 2023 at 9:16 PM.
     
     
  #60224  
Old Posted May 2, 2023, 1:01 AM
Engineeral Engineeral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 69
Positive, and flipped left for right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
This photograph (and original negative) is listed on eBay by the seller that posted the recently seen Billy Daniels / Mocambo photograph/negative.



"Sunset Blvd 7800 Block Mobilgas Quick Serve Los Angeles CA Original Film Negative 1952"


eBay



The negative shows a bit more than the photograph that was provided by the seller.


I wish they hadn't cut off the house and car on the right.
.
Try this version:
     
     
  #60225  
Old Posted May 2, 2023, 4:50 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725


There is still a Mobil station on that same NE corner and has been a service station one on the NW corner across Fairfax, too...until the past year when an apartment bldg. is under construction.




Here's a screenshot from the 1959 movie City of Fear, from the NW corner across to the Mobil station on the NE corner. (Although covered by trees now, the house behind the Mobil station is still there.)

DOH

And if you turn the view in the above photo to the SE and SW corners of Sunset Blvd. and Fairfax, you get this screenshot from City of Fear, showing the SunFax market (SE) and the Thrifty Drugstore (SW).

DOH

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 2, 2023 at 5:50 PM.
     
     
  #60226  
Old Posted May 3, 2023, 12:07 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,706



I got curious about the house in those views...partly because I like old LA houses and partly because I know that every house in LA has a chance of leading to some degree of Noirishness....



1516 N Fairfax in 2011. It is now painted blue and is noted on the current Google Street aerial view as "LA Sound Studio." The aerial also, curiously, notes that there is a Bitcoin ATM at the Mobil station


1516 N Fairfax was built in 1920 by Swedish-born Peter A. Nelson, who'd retired from his haberdashery business in Kansas City a few years before, moving to Hollywood with his wife and 4 children.


Then there is Barry Fitzgerald--a bigger star than I remember. It seems that he might have been stereotypically Irish in terms of hitting the pub, though it also seems that his studio swooped in when needed.


In March 1944 local papers ran several rather damning articles on a mishap summarized in this one from the Times, March 21, 1944:




There seem to be no more articles about the accident after March '44...so maybe the studio offered payola to Mary Farrar's family to protect their property. Fitz was big in those days--he'd win an Oscar in 1944 for Going My Way.


So either he was just a bad driver or did like a nip or two or there was something organic going on in his brain...which is where he has his run-in, so to speak, with 1516 N Fairfax:


Times Jan 23, 1951


Another Fitzgerald nugget--from the Times, May 9, 1953:




Fitzgerald had a brain operation in Dubin in October 1959 and died in January 1961
     
     
  #60227  
Old Posted May 3, 2023, 8:43 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,043
.
Oh my, Barry found his stand-in dead in your back yard! Yowza.




This is a reprint that's currently listed on eBay so we might have seen it on NLA but I don't think so. (I did a somewhat quick search)

I'm looking for help in figuring out the location.


eBay

By using the watertower as a clue. (Weber Showcase & Fixture Co.) I've come up with several possibilities but no certain answer. (yet)


Anyone?

.
     
     
  #60228  
Old Posted May 4, 2023, 3:31 AM
HenryHuntington HenryHuntington is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The OC
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
Oh my, Barry found his stand-in dead in your back yard! Yowza.




This is a reprint that's currently listed on eBay so we might have seen it on NLA but I don't think so. (I did a somewhat quick search)

I'm looking for help in figuring out the location.


eBay

By using the watertower as a clue. (Weber Showcase & Fixture Co.) I've come up with several possibilities but no certain answer. (yet)


Anyone?

.
_____________________________

Barely visible on the wall of the service station is the address number "5810". The 1939 L.A. City Directory shows a Texaco station at 5810 S. Avalon Blvd. The 1933 Directory has Weber Showcase at 5700 S. Avalon. Case closed?
     
     
  #60229  
Old Posted May 4, 2023, 6:24 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,043
.
Thanks, HenryHuntington. I'm going to check it out.




mystery apartment building.

"Victorian Cabinet photo Los Angeles Victorian Apartment Building"


eBay (found yesterday on eBay / sold, I think)

We've probably seen it before on NLA but I'm pretty sure this particular cabinet card to new. (to the thread)


Anyone?



.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2023 at 7:01 PM.
     
     
  #60230  
Old Posted May 4, 2023, 6:37 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,043
.

Here's another mystery location for this fine afternoon.


"1937 Press Photo Aftermath of apartment fire in Los Angeles, California"


eBay





R.I.P...Mrs. Hubbard.

.
     
     
  #60231  
Old Posted May 4, 2023, 9:18 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,724


Clarence H and Mabel E Hubbard are at 1211 W 8th Street in the 1937 CD, which is listed as the Elgean Apartments. Mrs Hubbard also appears under the "Nurses - Graduate" heading in the 1936 CD.

I can't see the Newmans there in 1936 or 1937, so I hope I have the right address.
     
     
  #60232  
Old Posted May 5, 2023, 5:13 AM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,653



LA Times, 3/18/1937

Clarence lived until December, 1949.
     
     
  #60233  
Old Posted May 5, 2023, 2:04 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,706
     
     
  #60234  
Old Posted May 5, 2023, 5:56 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,043
.
I wonder if that's Mrs. Hubbard's cupboard you see in the photo?



I'll show myself out.........................

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 5, 2023 at 6:18 PM.
     
     
  #60235  
Old Posted May 6, 2023, 3:44 AM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
This is a reprint that's currently listed on eBay so we might have seen it on NLA but I don't think so. (I did a somewhat quick search)

I'm looking for help in figuring out the location.


eBay

By using the watertower as a clue. (Weber Showcase & Fixture Co.) I've come up with several possibilities but no certain answer. (yet)


Anyone?

.
It looks like the Texaco station has some early Taco Bell style architecture.
     
     
  #60236  
Old Posted May 6, 2023, 4:04 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,043
.
I noticed that too, Bristollian.



STRANGE FISH.(and REPTILE)

"BISHOP & COMPANY 1907 INTERIOR Orig. Photo TURTLE & FISH Los Angeles CALIFORNIA"


eBay

judging by the background it appears Bishop & Co. might have been a specialty food shop.

Does anyone have an idea what's in the large glass jar on the left?... I imagine it's something aquatic like the other two specimens.
.
     
     
  #60237  
Old Posted May 6, 2023, 6:08 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,724


The 1907 CD lists Bishop & Company as a confectionery and cracker manufacturers based at the NE corner of E 7th and Alameda, with a salesroom at 110-112 N Los Angeles Street. The 1910 Baist map labels that location as Bishop & Co Crystalized Fruits.
     
     
  #60238  
Old Posted May 6, 2023, 6:22 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,043
.
. . .from the same eBay seller.

Could this be a photograph of Angels Flight that we've never seen before?

"ANGELS FLIGHT 1907 Original Photo FUNICULAR RAILWAY Los Angeles CALIFORNIA"


Currently on eBay (as of May 6, 2023)

I don't remember a photograph of Angels Flight with all that junk on the right - - - - - >

P.S. I think that's a barrel on its side.

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 6, 2023 at 6:36 PM.
     
     
  #60239  
Old Posted May 6, 2023, 7:16 PM
LAboomer52 LAboomer52 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.

Not in a hundred years would I guess this is Beverly Hills, California.



eBay

I'll take a stab at it and say this is Rodeo Drive.




wink.
Rodeo Drive is in the "flats" of BH so Let's consider some alternatives. This image is likely taken in one of the canyons to the north of the Beverly Hills Hotel location on Sunset. My Guess: Franklin canyon,... but could also be Coldwater or Benedict canyon. Another angle is to note the water pump outside the apparent gate in the fence. Could be a path for horses. Possibly the Will Rogers estate in Pacific Palisades? Or Sulivan canyon? But clearly it is a canyon somewhere in the so called "Santa Monica Mountains"
     
     
  #60240  
Old Posted May 7, 2023, 2:56 AM
MichaelRyerson's Avatar
MichaelRyerson MichaelRyerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,155
The Sunfax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
And if you turn the view in the above photo to the SE and SW corners of Sunset Blvd. and Fairfax, you get this screenshot from City of Fear, showing the SunFax market (SE) and the Thrifty Drugstore (SW).

DOH
My father operated the Sunfax throughout the fifties (including 1952 and 1959) and into the early sixties. I worked there as a box-boy most of these years. Apropos of nothing in particular. At the same time, my dad was responsible for several other area markets, (Wilshire Mart @ Wilshire and Doheny Drive, Bishop Fine Foods on Burton Way at Doheny) all owned by the same man.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.