HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #45041  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:59 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
overcast and 7c today, light rain at times. Pretty Meh kind of day.

Mild temperatures and sunshine should round out our week. Snow levels are rising quick, valley bottoms are now snow free.
Been watching cams on Castsnet and the snow depths at weather stations, it seems that since the first to second week of January (depending on exact location) the valley bottoms have essentially been snow free (save for a couple days last week in spots).

December really does seem to be the most likely month for snow cover in southern BC over the last decade or so.
     
     
  #45042  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:07 AM
LFC LFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Been watching cams on Castsnet and the snow depths at weather stations, it seems that since the first to second week of January (depending on exact location) the valley bottoms have essentially been snow free (save for a couple days last week in spots).

December really does seem to be the most likely month for snow cover in southern BC over the last decade or so.
Keep in mind our Average high for February 7 is 3c.

I have always found that we typically get a good dump of snow between Christmas and new years - we usually have backyard sledding New Years with friends so can attest to the past about 6 years (I do live in a bit of higher elevation though).

Then by mid January we get our thaw where the valley bottoms become snow free and we cruise through February as the average Highs warm up to around 6c by the third week of February.
     
     
  #45043  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 6:14 AM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancredi View Post
Interesting and shareable considerations! I have always liked your messages also because the way you write shows that you are a calm and rational person. Your considerations on the way in which we judge the climate of a locality by giving a positive or negative judgment based on our personal judgment is absolutely shareable. For example, I consider the climate of Palermo a "hell hole" and the climates of Canada heaven on earth. For example, Halifax is one of the cities on the planet where I would like to live also due to its stormy, rainy, snowy, foggy and cloudy climate. All climatic elements that many other people consider negative.
Glad to help increase your understanding of our weather, even if I can only contribute in a small way.

One thing that I've always been enthusiastic over is the great diversity of landscapes and weather in Canada. It is such a large country that has so many areas with relatively unique characteristics, you can never be bored learning about it.
     
     
  #45044  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 6:19 AM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post


Excellent description of Halifax weather.
I never cease to be amazed at how our west coast friends seem to know more about Halifax weather than the people who actually live there!

Oh wait! I think I just heard another tree explode outside...

(j/k) I love the fun we have here.
     
     
  #45045  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:22 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Hey McMinsen the blooming cherry blossom tree is apparently on Haro Street if you happen to be in that neighbourhood with a camera.

Thanks. I have walked the length of Haro Street (from Burrard to Stanley Park) and the only pink blossoming thing I saw was this large bush near Barclay Square.

I think some people might mistake it for cherry blossoms but it's probably a Pink Dawn Viburnum. They are flowering in multiple places around Vancouver right now.




Haro Street, Vancouver, Feb.7 '23, my pic
     
     
  #45046  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 8:13 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Cloudy, sunny, dry, wet, calm, windy, cold, not cold.

The atmospheric river ran its course by about lunch time and then the sun came out over downtown Vancouver.
While I was in the sun (with blue sky above) I was pelted by heavy rain with ice pellets.
The wind almost turned my umbrella inside out and by the time I got down to English Bay the sudden shower had stopped but I had to hold on to my cap in the stiff wind.
Nice to see some sun even if it had to come with a three ring circus.

Tuesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 9 C, the low was 7 C.





Downtown/West End, Vancouver, Feb.7 '23, my pics




...

...

...

...

     
     
  #45047  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 11:09 AM
Tancredi's Avatar
Tancredi Tancredi is offline
Free Palestine & Ukraine
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Italy (Sicily, Palermo)
Posts: 1,817


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Glad to help increase your understanding of our weather, even if I can only contribute in a small way.

One thing that I've always been enthusiastic over is the great diversity of landscapes and weather in Canada. It is such a large country that has so many areas with relatively unique characteristics, you can never be bored learning about it.
     
     
  #45048  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 11:17 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Next storm is starting. Shouldn’t be bad. And then the next storm after that is Friday.

     
     
  #45049  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:21 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Thanks. I have walked the length of Haro Street (from Burrard to Stanley Park) and the only pink blossoming thing I saw was this large bush near Barclay Square.

I think some people might mistake it for cherry blossoms but it's probably a Pink Dawn Viburnum. They are flowering in multiple places around Vancouver right now.




Haro Street, Vancouver, Feb.7 '23, my pic
Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Cloudy, sunny, dry, wet, calm, windy, cold, not cold.

The atmospheric river ran its course by about lunch time and then the sun came out over downtown Vancouver.
While I was in the sun (with blue sky above) I was pelted by heavy rain with ice pellets.
The wind almost turned my umbrella inside out and by the time I got down to English Bay the sudden shower had stopped but I had to hold on to my cap in the stiff wind.
Nice to see some sun even if it had to come with a three ring circus.

Tuesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 9 C, the low was 7 C.





Downtown/West End, Vancouver, Feb.7 '23, my pics



Beauty! Nothing nicer than fresh blossoms coming out in the rain.

The mossy tree is a favourite of mine due to the composition, but mostly because I'm having a faux moss-growing competition with a friend/relative in Victoria...

Actually, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I think your photo composition is quite good. The bicyclist with the laneway behind him and his shadow stretching out in the foreground checks a lot of boxes on my photo framing checklist (ha ha), but overall your sense of perspective makes the photos say more than 'this is what's here', IMHO.
     
     
  #45050  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:24 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
+11C and sun at the same time? Very nice
It sure is unusual this time of year, it’s either cold and sunny or mild and cloudy. More sun today, but only 6C for the high, back up to 12C tomorrow, but with rain, lol.

Last edited by north 42; Feb 8, 2023 at 4:46 PM.
     
     
  #45051  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:26 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Next storm is starting. Shouldn’t be bad. And then the next storm after that is Friday.

You're a brave soul, traversing that hill in a snowstorm... you must have good snow tires!
     
     
  #45052  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:45 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,547
Fairly bland day in Hfx today. Currenly 0C with a few flurries going up to a lofty 3C today with a few showers. Pretty grey out there now almost no snow on the ground to speak of, other than where it was piled during the last snowstorm. I think I'd actually prefer a layer of white down to brighten things up compared to the green/brown that everything is now, but then at least you can go outside without dragging a bunch of snow and slush inside when you come back. Not having to wear boots is nice as well.

The sun will be back tomorrow with a high of +1C, then tomorrow night we'll get a few cms of snow before it turns back to rain with a high of +9C for Friday.

TWN is not predicting any 24 hour periods with more than 3cm of snow for the next 14 days... and only one daytime high below freezing (-1C on Feb 19). Certainly a far cry from 2015 when we would have had a few feet of the stuff down by now...
     
     
  #45053  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:20 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
-3C and partly cloudy in Moncton at 10 AM, going up to +1C this afternoon.
     
     
  #45054  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:43 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
Another 5-10cm expected today after around another 10 Monday overnight. Certainly making up for the snowless winter over the last 2 weeks. At least none of it is overly stormy or bad. Temperatures looking below average for this span too.
     
     
  #45055  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:48 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
You're a brave soul, traversing that hill in a snowstorm... you must have good snow tires!
I do, to the extent they help. But you just develop a sense for it. When I reach the bottom, I can just feel when to turn the front tires so the back of the car slides and gently spins and I end up in the desired lane facing the correct direction And if you slow enough it only ever slides a few feet when you stop, even if you slam on the brakes just to check lol

It’s much easier to walk (sometimes I slide on my — if it’s super icy).
     
     
  #45056  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:53 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,902
I was up near Algonquin this weekend and the overnight low on Friday night hit -38c, without the wind chill. Probably the coldest night I've experienced in my life. Outside was full of cracking noises from the ice on the lake and the sap freezing in trees causing them to crack, and I would cough every time I went outside because of how dry the air was.

The closest weather station in Algonquin recorded -41! That's really, really cold for central Ontario.

Of course by Sunday the temps were back to above freezing, and since coming back to Hamilton it's felt more like early spring than the depths of winter.

High of 8 today and beautiful sun. A rare combo of both sun and mild temps for the middle of February. The rest of the week remains mild, with a high of 10 degrees tomorrow and rain, then a mix of sun and cloud and temps between 1 and 6 going into the weekend. The snow on my lawn mostly melted yesterday, with the snow piles quickly melting as well.

This winter is increasingly looking like it will basically just not exist at all. We have had only 13 days so far this season with temps staying below freezing for the entire day. I've shoveled only once.
     
     
  #45057  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:47 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancredi View Post
Interesting and shareable considerations! I have always liked your messages also because the way you write shows that you are a calm and rational person. Your considerations on the way in which we judge the climate of a locality by giving a positive or negative judgment based on our personal judgment is absolutely shareable. For example, I consider the climate of Palermo a "hell hole" and the climates of Canada heaven on earth. For example, Halifax is one of the cities on the planet where I would like to live also due to its stormy, rainy, snowy, foggy and cloudy climate. All climatic elements that many other people consider negative.
There is a subjective quality to it and different places have a different feel that evolved with the local climate. It is easy to strip all of this out when you're not familiar with a place, and the numerical comparisons are sterile. It would be boring if every place were like San Diego and I wonder sometimes if Californians would be better off with a little more nature-imposed excitement in their lives.

I like the East Coast fog, miss it here sometimes, and would not get rid of it even though it reduces the sunshine hour count or whatever.

Not sure I'd get rid of cold snaps and sea smoke either. It is not so much those events that are bad, it's when they drag on or compound too much. As in the 2015 example.
     
     
  #45058  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:49 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Certainly a far cry from 2015 when we would have had a few feet of the stuff down by now...
There were a lot of comments about how the low snowfall in the early season will transition into something like 2015, as if there's some law of conservation of snow. But it is more or less independent with that high snowfall period being relatively low probability. This is one of those human psychology things; it is easy to imagine an actor behind what happens that is kind of like a human.

Likewise major events will stand out in one's memory more than "average" conditions. Nor'easter style storms are exactly the kind of thing that stand out clearly as events. Then there's the media effect where only outliers will be reported.
     
     
  #45059  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 8:14 PM
Tancredi's Avatar
Tancredi Tancredi is offline
Free Palestine & Ukraine
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Italy (Sicily, Palermo)
Posts: 1,817
You wrote something very interesting; climates like that of San Diego (and Palermo) may appeal to many people because they tend to be warm, there are no negative temperatures, there are no snowfalls, blizzards, etc., but they are boring climates because especially in summer for long periods of time it does not happen nothing, always sun, heat, clear skies, no rain. The only exception is strong heat waves with temperatures above 40'. Winter is more dynamic but there is no "subzero factor" with all the connected phenomena. More boring than a long church mass at Christmas


Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There is a subjective quality to it and different places have a different feel that evolved with the local climate. It is easy to strip all of this out when you're not familiar with a place, and the numerical comparisons are sterile. It would be boring if every place were like San Diego and I wonder sometimes if Californians would be better off with a little more nature-imposed excitement in their lives.

I like the East Coast fog, miss it here sometimes, and would not get rid of it even though it reduces the sunshine hour count or whatever.

Not sure I'd get rid of cold snaps and sea smoke either. It is not so much those events that are bad, it's when they drag on or compound too much. As in the 2015 example.
     
     
  #45060  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 8:21 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There is a subjective quality to it and different places have a different feel that evolved with the local climate. It is easy to strip all of this out when you're not familiar with a place, and the numerical comparisons are sterile. It would be boring if every place were like San Diego and I wonder sometimes if Californians would be better off with a little more nature-imposed excitement in their lives.

.
I'd say California does get its share of nature-imposed excitement. Just those huge fires that they pretty frequently get are insane.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:53 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.