Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
Optimal planning and construction costs are best represented in high rises that range from 50 to 80 stories. Everything else like land costs is artificially inflated for high rise towers and is apparent in Vancouver. Here, limited sites for high rises, due to Viewcones and other reasons, encourage the obscene escalation of land costs. Enough of the untruths.
|
I'm willing to consider the possibility that you work in cost estimating in Greater Vancouver, and know what you're talking about. Can you link the study or article that shows that anything as tall as 80 storeys has an 'optimal planning and construction cost'.
It seems to contradict what Chris Dikeakos was saying, but what does he know? He only designed many of the tall towers in Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey etc. The studies I've read say you can't generalise around the world, or even in many countries, because every city has a different context for the cost of construction, prevailing construction method, regulations (and particularly seismic requirements) etc.
And all the studies I've seen point to increasing height on towers over 50 floors adding additional costs per floor for structural strength on the lower floors, and extra elevators at a certain point, and wind bracing on super talls (and/or a damper). I've never seen the Vancouver study that show the optimal height to build to make the most money (which is what assume you mean by 'most efficient'?).
Studies also show that taller towers use more energy per unit, because of the extra costs associated with elevators, air handling and to get water pressure to higher floors. I assume you're not talking about the energy efficiency of operating the building.