HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 7:40 PM

Amen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That requires creating policy and being rational beyond catering to the base. The Republican bench is still focused on banning CRT and making sure furries don't have litter buckets in schools.
But I wasn't thinking of The Clan from El Paso County; they don't worry so much about crime down there as they always have their guns at their ready.

I see Polis bragging he won his reelection by nearly 20%; that's the same percentage that DeSantis won by in Florida and it wasn't that long that my favorite President turned the state blue. Well, 2008 is awhile ago I guess. It's also the year Colorado became a blue state.

With respect to CRT it was one of the primary reasons how Virginia went from a healthy Biden win to a Blue defeat for Governor in less than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
My personal lived experience is that nearly100% of people showing up at Council hearings, community meetings, project meetings are of an older age within earshot of taking social security. Do I believe only senior are NIMBY's? Absolutely not. Do I believe only seniors are showing up, screaming loud, and shouting down development at the various levels of meetings? Yes, pretty much though there are a small number of non seniors partaking in the escapades.
It's hard for me to imagine the fun of dealing with such highly rational individuals. Still we're talking about those that show up being maybe one-tenth of one percent of the residents ?

Upon further reflection, Let's say Denver decided to push for city-wide four-plex zoning.

There's a number of Seniors who live in neighborhoods like Mayfair and Virginia Vale/Village where their house is likely F&C and it's their affordable housing. It may be the largest asset they have to leave to their children. Why should they care about new zoning if it raised the value of their home by say 15% (or more)?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
No no no. That is exactly the problem. There is no rule that says density has to be awful looking.

So you want cheap, dense, housing - but you want years of review, design, and expensive structural features for each unique lot.

You know, there's efficiencies in mass production that make this affordable. And if it cost 3x per lot, you'll see less housing.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 11:48 AM

Hertz Electrifies Denver - Mayor Hancock's Parting Masterstroke

Photo by E.R. Davidson

Hertz is bringing thousands of EVs and chargers to the city of Denver in a broad new partnership
JAN 19 2023 By John Rosevear - CNBC
Quote:
As part of the program, called “Hertz Electrifies,” the rental car company plans to add more than 5,000 EVs to its Denver fleet for daily customers as well as for ongoing rentals to drivers for ride-sharing services like Uber. To support those who rent the EVs, Hertz and its partner BP Pulse, the EV-charging network owned by oil giant BP, will also install public EV chargers at Denver International Airport and at sites around the city, with a focus on underserved communities.
This is interesting:
Quote:
It’ll also see Denver boost availability and education around EVs in a first-of-its-kind effort. That latter point is key to the deal. In addition to building chargers in lower-income neighborhoods, Hertz will provide EVs, tools and training to the city’s technical high school — and will offer summer job opportunities through Denver’s Youth Employment Program.

Denver’s mayor, Michael Hancock, said the city’s goal is to reduce its carbon emissions 80% by 2050, and to completely electrify the city’s own buildings and fleet by the end of this decade. He told CNBC that Hertz’s plan to focus on underserved neighborhoods and to train local students to service EVs could make this deal a “game-changer” for the city.
I also read recently that many younger adults avoid the hassle of buying/owning cars and prefer to just use rideshare. Many of the newer apartments along Scottsdale Road have included valet pickup/dropoff circles or areas.

BTW, this is posted before any of the local news sources have carried the story.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:42 PM

I need a groundbreaking. What's on the cusp?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:27 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
Kenect Denver seems to be getting close.... crazy if it's the next one to break ground.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 9:12 PM

You read my mind
Quote:
Kenect Denver seems to be getting close.... crazy if it's the next one to break ground.

Courtesy Akara Partners/Shears Adkins Rockmore

Back in July of 2018 Dravitz/DenverInfill had this update:
Quote:
With the second round of design review coming up next week, the project has gone through an extensive change in design including a height reduction. The proposed project now calls for a 23-story building containing 434 units along with office and retail space. There is also now a setback in height towards 22nd Street because the building will reside in two separate zoning districts; D-AS-12+ and D-AS-20+.
They closed on the land in January of 2019.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 9:34 PM

It seems like one of those projects near 8th and Lincoln must be starting soon

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
Evans East has the building permit approved and ready to go.

Demolition at the Sports Castle Lofts should be starting soon.

Parq II is in the middle of building permit review.

955 Bannock has the building permit ready to go.

There are quite a few projects that could be next.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:32 AM

https://hospitalitydesign.com/news/h...nver-fox-park/

Pretty cool hotel out by the new Fox Park.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:57 AM

Quote:
That requires creating policy and being rational beyond catering to the base. The Republican bench is still focused on banning CRT and making sure furries don't have litter buckets in schools.

Seriously??? It seems many Democrats are still struggling over which bathroom they are supposed to be using.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:31 AM

Up; Up and Done

New Vectra Bank Corporate Center
7222 E. Layton Ave

Images courtesy Vectra Bank

https://www.vectrabank.com/proactive...porate-center/
Quote:
Vectra Bank will celebrate a significant organizational milestone as we begin moving into the bank’s new corporate center at I-25 and Belleview Station. The three-year, multi-million-dollar project represents a significant real estate investment during an uncertain and challenging time.
https://businessden.com/2023/01/18/v...eview-station/
Quote:
After years of planning, Vectra Bank moved into a new custom-built, nine-story headquarters in the Belleview Station area of the Denver Tech Center last week. The local banking chain, a subsidiary of Zions Bancorporation in Utah, relocated its roughly 200 HQ employees to 7222 E. Layton Ave.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:49 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
Seriously??? It seems many Democrats are still struggling over which bathroom they are supposed to be using.
Hey, they still keep their lunatics in a corner. GOP has let the lunatics seize the asylum.

Just my perception .

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Evans East has the building permit approved and ready to go.

Demolition at the Sports Castle Lofts should be starting soon.

Parq II is in the middle of building permit review.

955 Bannock has the building permit ready to go.

There are quite a few projects that could be next.
Financial markets seemed to have calmed down quite a bit recently with 10-year T-Bill rates dropping a half percent or so.

Consequently, it looks good for many apartment groundbreakings over the next six months. Maybe one a month?
-----------------------------

Nice Find
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post

Pretty cool hotel out by the new Fox Park.
Virgin Hotels Denver Fox Park

Rendering courtesy of Vita Fox North L.P.

Quote:
Virgin Hotels has revealed plans to launch its 10th property—and first in Colorado—in Denver in 2025. The 241-room hotel will serve as a key anchor of Fox Park, a 41-acre mixed-use development that broke ground in the heart of the Mile High City earlier this month. (September)
Apparently, Tryba Architects is putting equity in the deal.
Quote:
The project is a collaboration between Vita Fox North L.P. and Tryba Architects. “We are thrilled to be a part of this exciting new cultural development in the burgeoning Denver market,” says Virgin Hotels CEO James Bermingham.
-----------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
Nice retort.

Quote:
Hey, they still keep their lunatics in a corner. GOP has let the lunatics seize the asylum.

Just my perception .
Thankfully. The lunatics nearly ruined the first Biden year before fading into the background.

Fair to say the ugly tail is now wagging the Republican dog in the House. Should be tons of fun.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 5:47 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

It's hard for me to imagine the fun of dealing with such highly rational individuals. Still we're talking about those that show up being maybe one-tenth of one percent of the residents ?

Upon further reflection, Let's say Denver decided to push for city-wide four-plex zoning.

There's a number of Seniors who live in neighborhoods like Mayfair and Virginia Vale/Village where their house is likely F&C and it's their affordable housing. It may be the largest asset they have to leave to their children. Why should they care about new zoning if it raised the value of their home by say 15% (or more)?
^It's a very logical thought you present. Unfortunately, our process does not follow logical/reasonable thought. Our process consists of that 1/10 of 1% of 0.1% of people shouting at elected officials who do not have the stomach to stand up to that small collection of people for the better good.

As to raising property values 15% - most people you interact with during the public process do not believe dense new development increases property values. They are wholeheartedly convinced dense housing decreases property values even though there is 120+ years of recorded history which disproves them...then in the next sentence they say they will be pushed out of the neighborhood because of increased tax burdens they can't afford.....facts.

Methinks you have not been deeply involved in this process before and are relying on what it should be rather than what it actually is. Perhaps I am mistaken on your lived experience, and if so my apologies, but what our world should be versus what it actually is are two very different things.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 5:50 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Virgin Hotels Denver Fox Park

Rendering courtesy of Vita Fox North L.P.

^Put this atop the list of my favorite proposed projects!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 6:15 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
As to raising property values 15% - most people you interact with during the public process do not believe dense new development increases property values. They are wholeheartedly convinced dense housing decreases property values even though there is 120+ years of recorded history which disproves them...then in the next sentence they say they will be pushed out of the neighborhood because of increased tax burdens they can't afford.....facts.
This reminds me of my park advocacy days. We proposed a Seattle Commons park in the 90s. People would say in the same breath that it would be a "park for the rich" and also full of crime and homeless.

Never did get the park, though a booming district still resulted. Denver got its Commons of course...I'm jealous.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 4:09 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
This reminds me of my park advocacy days. We proposed a Seattle Commons park in the 90s. People would say in the same breath that it would be a "park for the rich" and also full of crime and homeless.

Never did get the park, though a booming district still resulted. Denver got its Commons of course...I'm jealous.
That was the gist of the I-70 fights as well. In the same breath the project was going to ruin the place - yet another dirty horrible road tromping over a brown neighborhood - and in the next breath, it was going to lead to gentrification and displacement.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Well that’s goddamn awful. Looks like a mediocre Marriott somewhere on the redneck riviera, where they used to send you for the sort of shitty conference that made you question everything about your life and that, thank God, zoom has driven to extinction. Just when we thought Denver was moving past the era of the land barge.
Quote:
[SIZE="3"]Everybody screaming about getting more density. There it is!
Quote:
No no no. That is exactly the problem. There is no rule that says density has to be awful looking.

I would love for some architecture/planning class to take this exact project and make it their semester project. Let's get the cost estimate and proforma from the developer. And then let's have 6 different groups re-design this in a not awful way - using real costs - to prove it could be done. (The interesting thing would be if you untether them from zoning constraints - or say, you can use restrictions from any zone district - don't view that as a constraint, assume City Council would make reasonable changes for better design, to also see what that would produce.) I bet you anything, even without that, though, there are 6 ways to do this better without messing up the economics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmandan03 View Post
So you want cheap, dense, housing - but you want years of review, design, and expensive structural features for each unique lot.

You know, there's efficiencies in mass production that make this affordable. And if it cost 3x per lot, you'll see less housing.
My two cents, but for whatever it's worth, I do think the redesign looks like a slight improvement over the original.

Moreover, regardless of aesthetics, high-density is always preferable to low-density. All other factors being equal, I'll settle for a land barge over a low-rise or a bunch of single-family homes on that same site. Just look at Singapore: one could argue that some of their high-density public housing is quite ugly, but they're still considered a world leader in housing policy and urban planning, as well as one of the best cities in the world to visit.

Last edited by i4isoar; Jan 21, 2023 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 11:44 PM

With Me Context is Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by i4isoar View Post
My two cents, but for whatever it's worth, I do think the redesign looks like a slight improvement over the original.

Moreover, regardless of aesthetics, high-density is always preferable to low-density. All other factors being equal, I'll settle for a land barge over a low-rise or a bunch of single-family homes on that same site. Just look at Singapore: one could argue that some of their high-density public housing is quite ugly, but they're still considered a world leader in housing policy and urban planning, as well as one of the best cities in the world to visit.
America's grand experiment with affordable HUD-funded high rise housing was a utter disaster, most notably in Chicago and St. Louis. They became gang & drug infested prisons for those who lived there. This goes back to the ~1950's.

Thanks to a huge bi-partisan effort tons of money were poured into tearing down all the high rise buildings and replacing them with low rise mixed-income projects. Denver benefitted when it's own HUD mess although low rise was torn down and replaced with new mixed-income low or mid-rise housing.

Aside from the interesting guy I picked up who was from Switzerland currently living in Singapore and visiting Phoenix, Singapore is mostly Asian, especially Chinese etc and has a whole different ethos.
Quote:
Crime rates in Singapore are some of the lowest in the world, with petty crimes such as pickpocketing and street theft rarely occurring, and violent crime being extremely rare. Penalties for drug offences such as trafficking in Singapore are severe, and include the death penalty.
America has done little to solve its drug and crime problem in the last 70 years and it's now getting worse and worse again.

When dude steals cars etc. in Denver da judge say "don't do that again" and lets dude out of jail. Within 24 hours dude is back to stealing cars etc.

I have no interest in debating conservative vs liberal but I can proclaim that subsidized affordable high rise housing will never happen; it's a non-starter.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 5:35 PM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:
With Me Context is Everything

America's grand experiment with affordable HUD-funded high rise housing was a utter disaster, most notably in Chicago and St. Louis. They became gang & drug infested prisons for those who lived there. This goes back to the ~1950's.

Thanks to a huge bi-partisan effort tons of money were poured into tearing down all the high rise buildings and replacing them with low rise mixed-income projects. Denver benefitted when it's own HUD mess although low rise was torn down and replaced with new mixed-income low or mid-rise housing.
America has done little to solve its drug and crime problem in the last 70 years and it's now getting worse and worse again.

When dude steals cars etc. in Denver da judge say "don't do that again" and lets dude out of jail. Within 24 hours dude is back to stealing cars etc.

I have no interest in debating conservative vs liberal but I can proclaim that subsidized affordable high rise housing will never happen; it's a non-starter.
Sorry, but you can't come onto a forum about urban development and spout such ill-informed nonsense without being called out on it. The complete failure of the American public housing of the 1950s was a result of the racist, segregationist social programs of the time. The drug use and crime were merely a symptom of this failure and their problems were ultimately rooted in economic and social isolation and lack of social support. They failed just as much because they were in food deserts and had no jobs nearby as they did because of drug-crazed criminals.

As an example the Cabrini-Green homes in Chicago, one of the most notorious public housing "disasters", was the subject of Gautreaux vs. the CHA and eventually ended up in a consent decree because it was conceived and run to concentrate poor minorities. That case didn't make its way through the Supreme Court until 1976, and as a result most of the large urban housing authorities went into consent decrees and began tearing down and revamping their public housing. From that point onward concentrating poor people was illegal, because poverty and crime are understood to be self-perpetuating and the state should not take part in that system. So the isolated towers were torn down and replaced by mixed-use, mixed-income neighborhoods. Like the ones in Denver.

The disaster was not a result of crime or drugs. It was the result of racism and discrimination both racial and economic.

We could still build larger, higher public housing. It is possible. Unfortunately it seems like a majority of Americans only pay attention to the information hand fed to them and struggle to fact check or question the "news" - and so much like people now have been convinced that current crime rates are equal to what they were a generation ago, most people are convinced that it was the "high rise" part of the projects that caused problems. So you're right that we probably won't build any ever again. Or at least until the generations that had first-hand knowledge have passed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West