Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking
I don't see the CN Tower in the renderings so I'm not sure if the Dixie Outlet Mall is in Toronto. There's a Queen Elzabeth Way in Winnipeg but it doesn't look familiar.
Wherever it is, that's a very interesting development model for the rest of the country. I wouldn't be surprised to see mall parking lots being redeveloped everywhere. There is a smaller but similar proposal in suburban Winnipeg.
|
The mall is in Mississauga, fairly close to the border with Toronto.
https://goo.gl/maps/XiLAUL2APBCntyYc9
There hasn't been a lot of residential high-rise development along this part of the QEW yet, but I think it's likely coming. The Hamilton-Niagara section has been seeing a lot especially between Hamilton and its Grimsby suburb, but there are more open spaces on that stretch whereas the Toronto-Burlington portion has more existing development, commercial/industrial properties, etc.
There have been a number of mall parking lot proposals in Hamilton lately. Some totally replace defunct retail, some are redevelopments that will keep the existing mall. There's one that is
quite big (and it will be at the eastern terminus of the LRT, so quite appropriate... though people in the area are complaining already about too much density, too much height, too much traffic, etc.)